Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOE Lowers Standards

Originally posted by SouthKona
    Are you insinuating that if you have not "been there", then it is to be disregarded? If that is the case, then I question if there is really a German, Russian, or Chinese language.... because I have not been to those places.
    Originally posted by timkona
    If one has not been to Niihau, then knowledge of the language being spoken there is merely hearsay.
    I hereby declare, based upon timkona's Rule of Mandatory Personal Visual Verification, that the German, Russian and Chinese languages are merely heresay.

Comment

If one has not been to Niihau, then knowledge of the language being spoken there is merely hearsay. As a natural skeptic, I am truly curious if Hawaiian is the native language of all Niihauans. Robinson - sounds Irish or English to me.

Just askin.
      I've been to Ni'ihau and for many folks there (about 98%) Hawaiian is their native language. However, Hawaiian as spoken on Ni'ihau is slightly different from what's taught in the Hawaiian-language immersion schools.

The ancestors of the Robinson family (Elizabeth Sinclair and a few others) immigrated to Hawai'i from New Zealand during the 1860s. Some of my 'ohana sold Ni'ihau to them in 1864 for $10,000.
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
        I've been to Ni'ihau and for many folks there (about 98%) Hawaiian is their native language. However, Hawaiian as spoken on Ni'ihau is slightly different from what's taught in the Hawaiian-language immersion schools.

The ancestors of the Robinson family (Elizabeth Sinclair and a few others) immigrated to Hawai'i from New Zealand during the 1860s. Some of my 'ohana sold Ni'ihau to them in 1864 for $10,000.
        And your from Pahoa???

Hmm... Manoa Scratches head...

Interesting I found this post under the BOE Lowers Standards... thread

Just wondering... was that friends of Ohana that sold Ni'ihau to the Robinsons?

Or actually your Ohana?
        Last edited by damontucker; August 29, 2006, 09:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Manoa, you gonna cause thread drift with that one.

Some say Hawaii was stolen. Others say it was purchased.

FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Sorry tk...

Back on track...

Nationally the SAT's scores dropped more than they have in over 31 years!
            Education is getting more difficult.

Even the SAT's are more difficult.
            The high school class of 2006 got stuck with a new, longer version of the SAT and didn't fare well on it. Average reading and math scores fell a total of seven points — the sharpest decline in 31 years.
            http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060829/...s/sat_scores_7

Comment

I hope some energetic, young Sociology/Education major is reading this.

Why not do a fair & square study based on the differences between HLIP and English Language students?

You could compare their performance in High School, or the percent going to College and draw some conclusions. How old would the oldest HLIP child be today?

Early child education is so important. Why start them with the limited resources available in the Hawaiian language? I say give them the language after they grasp the basics in their native tongue.

Or else somebody better start writing some textbooks....and fast !!
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

15 June 2005:
                "Only 1,000 native Hawaiians, less than 1% of the population, speak Hawaiian as their first language. Native monarchs ruled Hawaii until it was annexed by the United States in 1898. At that time English was named the official language for schools and government and Hawaiian was abandoned. The immersion school is part of a cultural renaissance, which began in the 1970s to revitalize Hawaiian traditions."

http://www.voanews.com/english/archi...TOKEN=79921800

Comment

Interesting South Kona.

And yet we have a Board of Education who believes that native speakers are equivalent to special needs children in terms of academic achievement.

If I was a parent, I would be furious. When cultural concerns override academic concerns, parental instincts are often abandoned.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Interesting South Kona.

And yet we have a Board of Education who believes that native speakers are equivalent to special needs children in terms of academic achievement.

If I was a parent, I would be furious. When cultural concerns override academic concerns, parental instincts are often abandoned.
                    So true Tim.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X