Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student Expelled for Refusing the Tuberculosis Test

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    Well Madazza... isn't this just kind of a recent new trend in journalism though?
    Having a Web site? I guess it depends on what you call "recent."

And IMHO opinion from what I read the first time to the second time...there was no update...just a change in Headline.
    Rewriting the headline and adding a clarifying subhed IS an update. And there probably were other changes, as well, even if they weren't apparent to you.

I mean once something is printed on paper...hard to stop the presses.
    I didn't see it on paper, and you didn't talk about it being on paper. You mentioned the Web site being updated, is all. It's easy to change a story online, no presses to stop. I don't see what the big deal is, but maybe we are talking past each other? Am I misunderstanding your question?

You would think the Tribune would have known what to post or what not to post.... long before the online version came out.
    Huh? It was the online updated version we were talking about, wasn't it?

I'm going to bed.

Comment

I think it's amazing that nobody has mentioned yet that the story in question is from Sept. 2006.

Yep.

Last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        I think it's amazing that nobody has mentioned yet that the story in question is from Sept. 2006.

Yep.

Last month.
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG!!! My Tummy hurts....I going back moemoe.

Auntie Lynn da tug?
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Earlier today, I almost ran a syndicated column from September 6 because for some reason the old column had popped to the top of the wire. So when I saw it I didn't expect it to be for the wrong month.

Then I started to read the column and realized it concerned an older topic, and then I noticed the date on the column but I couldn't remember what today's date was, and then my brain seized up for a few moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post

Yep.

Last month.
            I kinda had that thought in the back of my head as well. I asked myself, "why is this coming up again" and nothing very much had changed from the original story if nothing at all. But then again I'm not the professional and maybe it was a slow news day. KWXX made the same mistake a few days ago as well.

AP makes mistakes as well. I remember back after the Challenger shuttle explosion and the subsequent search and rescue operations, AP had sent an urgent bulletin announcing the finding of the remains of the astronauts over the wire service.

No mention or precaution about releasing this information preceded the story as the text indicated that all families were notified of the recovery.

We went ahead and broadcast the news bulletin then found out later that several families including our own from Hawaii had not been notified yet.

Big mistake.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Update:
              Judge rules Hilo freshman be allowed to attend class while her case is decided
              A Kona judge ruled Wednesday that the Hilo High School freshman can go back to school even though she refused to take a tuberculosis skin test.
              http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local02.txt

Well at least the girl is being allowed to attend school while the case is being decided... I would almost call it a case of "innocent until proven guilty" type of situation...

But what happens if she does have TB...and during this time she is allowed to go back to school and then transmits it to other kids.

Will those parents have a class action suit against the school district for failing to keep their kids safe by allowing a student that could be carrying TB at the schools?

Comment

Here's how it's being played out by the Admin. and teachers of HHS where I work:
                Welcome Back ! I hope that your break was well spent and restful.

As you may have read in Friday's (10/6) Tribune Herald, the Third Circuit Court (Kona) has ordered that the Department of Health temporarily "desist and refrain from denying admission to Alena Horowitz, to Hilo High School classroom and extracurricular activities." An appeal will be heard on Thursday, 12 October to determine any further action.

I request that Alena be afforded the same opportunities for learning and socialization as would be expected for any Hilo High Student. Please notify administration should you detect that this is not the case.

Robert Dircks
                Principal
                and here is the reponse.....
                I have received several complaints from members of BU-05 at this school and at least one influential parent that are very concerned about a 3rd circuit judge playing Russian roulette with our health/lives. As your grievance rep. I did talk to our UNISERV (Mark Nakashima). He said health and safety issues should be addressed immediately. As we speak a grievance has been filed. I am the grievant but need the support of like minded individuals. An L-note would be nice. The Administration is aware of this. In all honestly Mr. Dircks must obey the courts but has expressed his concerns to a few of us
                and yet another....
                Today a grievance was hand delivered to Complex Area Superintendent Valarie Takata and our principal. A copy can be found on the HSTA bulliten board as you enter the rear of the admin. bldg.

The problem is not our chain of command it is Judge Elizabeth Strance and her short sided decision. I called 322-8755 (Kona??) and asked for her address so I can write her a letter. If you want to send a letter to the court her address is P O Box 1970, Kealakekua, HI 96750.

I plan to fax Strance our concerns. Your names will not be used but I may use some of your comments as they compassionate and "on point". If you are opposed to this let me know tommorrow @ Keaau High. The hearing is this week Thurs.
                The teachers are getting the UNION involved. About a week ago there was a BIG protest in front of HHS during school hours....Look's like a BIG mess for a LITTLE test.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Let me see if I got this straight.

A bleeding heart liberal creates torment for his daughter, all in the name of love. Then a liberal judge defies State Law to allow the child to attend school, at the risk of all other students, while the matter is resolved. Then a liberal Union takes issue with the matter, and is angry with the Judge.

This is good stuff. Funny how the word 'Liberal' almost has a nasty tone, like F***, or S***, or P***, or other words you wouldn't want your 6 year old to repeat. Even more funny how a dyed-in-the-wool believer can think it's okay to put school age children at risk in protest of a law.

It takes a special kind of ignorance to cling to certain belief systems. Logic is anathema to a true believer.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

OK. As the mom of a girl who tested positive for TB and has been treated, and is no longer a threat to other children, here's my question: if the other students have all had TB shots, what's the deal? Is there still a risk? I'm not in the medical field and only have my personal experience to reflect upon. All that said, I think this guy is using his child. We should remember this case. She'll be a young adult soon, making her own decisions, moving out, etc.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      OK. As the mom of a girl who tested positive for TB and has been treated, and is no longer a threat to other children, here's my question: if the other students have all had TB shots, what's the deal? Is there still a risk? I'm not in the medical field and only have my personal experience to reflect upon. All that said, I think this guy is using his child. We should remember this case. She'll be a young adult soon, making her own decisions, moving out, etc.
                      The TB skin test is not an immunization. It is merely a method of screening. It does not give any protection against TB.

IMHO, the judge that decided that the girl could continue attending school is woefully ignorant and setting a very bad precedent.

And yeah, the father is an egomaniacal nut job. Unfortunately, for the time being anyway, he has a captive audience consisting of his children.

As I said before, I feel really sorry for that kid.

Comment

Yeah, I feel sorry for her, too. Thanks for clarifying that for me about the TB. When your kid is going through that, it's pretty nerve wracking. I'm glad that chapter of our life is pau.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here's the latest from the frontlines on this case. yesterday afternoon the Admin. had a faculty and staff meeting to talk about and share....
                          Mr. Dircks;

Mahalo for you frank discussion and chronological time-line of the "Horowitz-Case". Two of my uncles died horrible deaths from the plague known as T.B. I will be asking my mother tonight if I can provide you my toddler uncle's death photo from the WWI plantation days. It is compelling evidenct of what can happen.

The comments from many people that work at this school support the Dept. of Health's decision to keep the proper medical and scientific protocols in place. Needless to say we are at odds with Mr. Horowitz and Judge Strance, but not Alena. She would be an outstanding Viking product, however, we believe NO ONE should play Russian Roulette with any of our lives.......BU-05 included.

HGEA members are seeking a grievance today and parents are being contacted as we speak. Should the decision not go the way of science we may look at more legally/contractual stringent interventions. This is not what any of us want.

Last but not least; a teacher came up to me after our meeting upset with the religious overtones that Mr. Horowitz uses that some how makes Christians look stupid. I just finished Anti-Bullying training and tried to stop Muslim Bashing. His statement said nothing about Palestine's right to exist ; so who is the bully and what is the purpose? A few Hawaiians said they do not need a malihini adding to our problems. This whole thing will get nasty. In the end we do need a "Good Shepherd" to protect us.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX
                          Cpt. U.S. Army (ret.)
                          Grievance Rep.

cc: Judge Strance
                          Now the HGEA is filing a grievance . I guess the BIG deal is that we can't work at the school without getting TB clearence, so the DOE should back the workers up and hold the same standards to the students as well.

Flickr

Comment

Here's the latest news .....
                            Subject: Re: Court Case

I just received word from the State Attorney General's Office....Judge Strange "dissolved" the injunction. That is, Alena has not met the dictates of the TB clearance requirement and will not be allowed back to Hilo High School until such time that an arguement is made to file for a permanent injunction against the DOH.

Note: The case itself is still pending.

Please continue to stand strong and hold fast to your beliefs.

Robert Dircks
                            Principal
                            We can now breathe a little better for now.

Flickr

Comment

Sounds to me like child abuse on a level that should interest Child Protective Services. Are they involved yet?

We cannot allow innocent, and seemingly smart children, to be raised by parents who choose dissidence over the best interests of the kids. Each day that passes puts the girl at additional disadvantage. When, and if, she goes back to school, she will also have to endure her classmates. And we all know how mean teenagers can sometimes be. Why would a father do this to his daughter? Where is the love?

The good doctor needs a trip to the wood shed.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X