No announcement yet.

best public school districts on O'ahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best public school districts on O'ahu?

Originally posted by vfosson View Post
    And I do in fact have enough money, in addition to having friends with a summer house on the beach where I can stay until I decide where the best pulic schools are for our needs - at least where my daugher hopefully won't pick up pidgin - or whatever.
    ~Christina
    Christina seems to have left us - maybe she is enjoying that "summer house on the beach" and busy enrolling her child in the "best public school" (one where there won't be any of that horrible pidgin speaking).

Ah, to be young and full of fresh ideas ...

Comment

Thanks so much to those of you who replied to the questions I asked (instead of criticizing my posts)

PS - I never said that I had anything against any one who spoke pigin or pigin itself. All pigin represents is the amalgamation of two (or more) cultures - I just didn't want it to limit my daughter's exposure to the English language as it is spoken in other parts of the world, especially at an age in which she is still forming her vocabulary.
      Last edited by vfosson; October 18, 2006, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I just didn't want it to limit my daughter's exposure to the English language as it is spoken in other parts of the world, especially at an age in which she is still forming her vocabulary.
        You are already doing that by letting her learn to speak Californian.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Thanks so much to those of you who replied to the questions I asked (instead of criticizing my posts)

PS - I never said that I had anything against any one who spoke pigin or pigin itself. All pigin represents is the amalgamation of two (or more) cultures - I just didn't want it to limit my daughter's exposure to the English language as it is spoken in other parts of the world, especially at an age in which she is still forming her vocabulary.
          If that's the case, then you'd better stop thinking about putting her into the Hawaii public school system because she WILL pick up pidgin. Got $10k or more/year to send her to a private school like Punahou? She'd be able to master perfect American English there.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            If that's the case, then you'd better stop thinking about putting her into the Hawaii public school system because she WILL pick up pidgin. Got $10k or more/year to send her to a private school like Punahou? She'd be able to master perfect American English there.

Miulang
            Is that what Michelle Wie is speaking in her interviews on TV... I thought it was just her braces?

Comment

Like Miulang said, don't send her to any Hawaii public school if you're worried that your child may learn pidgin English. So that pretty much nullifies the whole thread.

Comment

And I do in fact have enough money, in addition to having friends with a summer house on the beach where I can stay until I decide where the best pulic schools are for our needs - at least where my daugher hopefully won't pick up pidgin - or whatever.
                Home schooling.

Or move to a place with customs that you respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

Miulang
                  this thread is totally hilarious.

and private school tuition at Punahou starts at 14K for tuition alone. tack on at least another 3-4K in incidentals. that is if her daughter can get in. it's pretty dang competitive nowadays.

Comment

Sometimes knowing pidgin English can get you out of situations you don't want to be in. Pidgin English can also lighten a situation or be a conversation starter ... wat school you went?

You just have to learn when to turn it off and on.
                    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                      ...Or move to a place with customs that you respect.

Thank you for nailing that.

pax

Comment

Oh puhleeeze!

windwardRN suggests it was a smart mouthed mainlander that posted, in starting this thread??

Good grief, she wasn't the smartass, it was some that replied to her!! what in the world is wrong with some here? You think Hawaii is the only beautiful place to live and that it's being invaded or something? spare me! This 'ole earth is full of beauty and wonderful souls, and from reading some at this board, Hawaii is NOT the top of the list with beautiful souls, no way.

With attitude like this, and many locals moving away to places like Las Vegas cuz they found good jobs and much lower cost of living there, and then with jerks welcoming folks like the thread starter here like they do....no wonder this place is taxation hell, schools that scream HOMESCHOOL, and souls to match the supply of potholes.

May this land I sit on not be any more blessed than its people deserve, may they truly get back what they give, and nothing less, amen.
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                          Oh puhleeeze!

windwardRN suggests it was a smart mouthed mainlander that posted, in starting this thread??

Good grief, she wasn't the smartass, it was some that replied to her!! what in the world is wrong with some here? You think Hawaii is the only beautiful place to live and that it's being invaded or something? spare me! This 'ole earth is full of beauty and wonderful souls, and from reading some at this board, Hawaii is NOT the top of the list with beautiful souls, no way.

With attitude like this, and many locals moving away to places like Las Vegas cuz they found good jobs and much lower cost of living there, and then with jerks welcoming folks like the thread starter here like they do....no wonder this place is taxation hell, schools that scream HOMESCHOOL, and souls to match the supply of potholes.

May this land I sit on not be any more blessed than its people deserve, may they truly get back what they give, and nothing less, amen.
                          I couldn't care less about souls. I appreciate people watching their mouths.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                            Oh puhleeeze!

If people want to move to Vegas and elsewhere because of the attitude you claim windwardRN has because of this discussion, I'll gladly hold the door open for them.

That is all.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                              If people want to move to Vegas and elsewhere because of the attitude you claim windwardRN has because of this discussion, I'll gladly hold the door open for them.

That is all.
                              I'll pitch in and drive them to the airport!!!!!

the condition of public schools are rooted in the state's priorities, which are in turn, rooted in tourism. but anyway...

I'm too lazy to read previous posts, but if anyone's scared of sending their kid to a public school, do me a favor--shelter'em at a private school or your house. stop complaining. go pay for an education if public schools aren't good enough for you. the teachers in public schools are trying their darndest, and doing a pretty good job.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I couldn't care less about souls. I appreciate people watching their mouths."

Me too! That's why I accurately pointed out that it was the mouths of those replying to the starter of the thread, NOT the person headed to the islands that had the mouth problem. She simply was reacting to her, ahem...'welcome" here.

I'll drive people to the airport, too, especially since the ones I was referring to are native Hawaiians that are leaving their homeland for greener pastures. Many more of them leave and the word native will not be an issue except in the way it is in every other state and that simply is that anyone BORN in a given state is native to it.
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X