Hawaii is 9th "Dumbest State"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii is 9th "Dumbest State"

Blame the high schools in Hawai'i. I went to Roosevelt high school and it was the most gayest school I have ever attended. The teacher don't teach sh1t.

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder View Post
      Blame the high schools in Hawai'i. I went to Roosevelt high school and it was the most gayest school I have ever attended. The teacher don't teach sh1t.
      Everyone's quick to blame the public school teachers in Hawaii. However, I think most of the blame falls on the students and their parents. The DOE tries its darndest to make sure they hire the best from a pool of applicants. To public school students: the quality of your education is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put in.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        Everyone's quick to blame the public school teachers in Hawaii. However, I think most of the blame falls on the students and their parents. The DOE tries its darndest to make sure they hire the best from a pool of applicants. To public school students: the quality of your education is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put in.
        That is true. But I have friends who got like close to 4.0 GPA in high school and they said they didn't learn much.

Comment

I went to Roosevelt high school and it was the most gayest school I have ever attended.
          Pretty good musical theater program, then?

Comment

I went to Roosevelt high school and ... The teacher don't teach sh1t ... I have friends who got like close to 4.0 GPA in high school and they said they didn't learn much.
            Were they in special ed classes or college prep/honors?

Theodore Roosevelt High does have some very distinguished alumni, including developer Bert Kobayashi, KITV news anchor Shawn Ching, Sen. Brian Taniguchi, KGMB sports anchor Liz Chun and former Supreme Court justice William Richardson (of whom the UH law school is named for).

In 2005, Roosevelt’s debate team took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the State Debate Tournament in the Lincoln-Douglas category.

Currently, Roosevelt junior Darren Ibara serves as the student member of the Board of Education.

So hey, the school can’t be all that bad.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Blame the high schools in Hawai'i. I went to Roosevelt high school and it was the most gayest school I have ever attended.
              You've obviously never been to Harvey Milk High

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                Were they in special ed classes or college prep/honors?

Theodore Roosevelt High does have some very distinguished alumni, including developer Bert Kobayashi, KITV news anchor Shawn Ching, Sen. Brian Taniguchi, KGMB sports anchor Liz Chun and former Supreme Court justice William Richardson (of whom the UH law school is named for).

In 2005, Roosevelt’s debate team took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the State Debate Tournament in the Lincoln-Douglas category.

Currently, Roosevelt junior Darren Ibara serves as the student member of the Board of Education.

So hey, the school can’t be all that bad.
                When I went there during 2000-2004, most of kids were into drugs and sh1ts.
                Almost everyone in my class smoked weed. LOL

Comment

When I went there during 2000-2004, most of kids were into drugs and sh1ts.
                  Almost everyone in my class smoked weed. LOL
                  Did you take a survey or something?
                  Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Why are ya all responding to what I wrote? It's the truth. Are you all born yesterday or something? Do you need a survey to know that there so many drug addicts in hawaii?

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                    Pretty good musical theater program, then?
                    What musical theater program? What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Shredder
                      What musical theater program? What are you talking about?
                      WHOOOSH!

OK, let's deconstruct. You wrote, "It was the most gayest school I have ever attended."

So I wrote ... Oh, God, forget it. Let's move on.

Comment

Wait a minute! I had heard of this list before, but what I had not done, till now is pay close attention to the criteria by which they judged each state. There are 21 factors listed and only six of them are actually the scoring of the accomplishment of proficiency of the students!!

The other factors are how much is spent in on instruction, paying teachers, how much is spent per how much income the states have, student teacher ratios, dropout rates, etc.

These other factors do not prove how SMART the citizens are. Some of the dropouts are losers while others are rebels that got sick of the cirriculum, restrictions, etc. For example, I homeschooled both of our daughters, they took a local class at a highschool, then the latest version of GED, and in the night class the teacher said that the particular class they were in was, in the more than fifteen years or whatever that she'd taught these prep classes, they were one of the smartest, but she also indicated that she'd had a lot of bright students.

Homeschoolers are expected to shine, and just FYI, ours both tested above ninety percentile, and I expected no less, but my point is that a lot of the dropouts were as bright as our girls, and they did well, too.

Still, bottom line is that I don't like the factors, for the most part.

Hawaii has the lowest unemployment. this doesn't just mean we have a lot of jobs available, but that we have a lot of WORKERS that are able to do these jobs.

A score on a proficiency test does not measure smarts. A lot of bright entrepreneurs didn't do well in school on tests. Einstein was a C student in Math, and he said himself that formal education almost hampered his ability to succeed.

Sorry if I am not saying this very well, but point is, this survey does NOT prove Hawaii's kids/citizens are any less smart than another state. I assure you that my kids' friends aren't a bunch of dummies, and in fact far from it.

I'll tell ya what they can do with this smartest state award, LOL. I say that as a native Texan and my state scored 25, again, not impressed, nor concerned.
                        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Delete this post please, admin.
                          Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; October 22, 2006, 03:47 PM.
                          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                          "But I can't even read good."
                          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                            A score on a proficiency test does not measure smarts. A lot of bright entrepreneurs didn't do well in school on tests. Einstein was a C student in Math, and he said himself that formal education almost hampered his ability to succeed.
                            Actually, Einstein excelled in math and science, earning the highest marks in these fields. He received failing grades for history, languages, and geography, however, and rebelled against the strict German academy, which emphasized rote memorization at the expense of creativity.

Comment

OK, here is my perspective as a 9 year teacher. I taught in Ohio and currently teach in Las Vegas, NV (also ranked at the bottom). I have always worked with kids who don't achieve well on standardized tests. I am interviewing for Hawaii schools next week and hope after 5 years of looking for an opening there in my subject area, I can make Hawaii my home.
                              Research for years indicates the number 1 variable in student achievement is home enviroment. This does not mean parents are highly educated or even 100% involved in the education process of their student, rather the enviroment at home is loving, secure, and supportive. In fact numerous studies where schools implemented more communication and "trainings" for parents/guardians to help their students achieve increased success for typically low scoring students. As an outsider of course, it would seem to me that because community and family are such key elements in Hawaiian culture, that increasing the parental communities involvement would help students achieve. I hope to work in Hawaii by next school year, and I also hope to be a part of increasing student achievement with other educators and community memebers who want to see the kids succeed. It is great to identify the issues but the next step is to begin searching and implementing the solutions. I love the fact that I get to work with amazingly creative and intriguing students everyday! I am blessed and if I can share with them how it is to know how to question and how to learn then I have done my job! "It takes a village to raise a child" is a proverb that any school and educator should allow themselves to be guided by on a daily basis...in my humbled opinion
                              love is the necatur of life

Comment

Thanks, John. I was taught in public school many years ago that Einstein was a "C" Math student, but thanks to you I googled him and he isn't recorded as having been, but in other subjects as you say.

He was clearly negative about schooling in general. His own quotes confirm what else I was taught about him as true.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
                                and

"One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year."

lastly, concerning this thread's subject, he said ,

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X