Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bored with School

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    then I tell him... Have fun w/out your trust cause your not getting it w/out a 4 year degree from an accredited college.
    Yeah... now THAT'S the response a good parent would give when their kid says he/she doesn't want to go to college.

"Forget about broadening your horizons, learning something new or playing a sport in college, kiddo... get that silly piece of paper so you can collect!"

Yeah... that's the ticket.

Comment

I dunno about that TK...

Many people can and do get wealthy w/out college. However, the academics is not all that you get out of the education.

You get the opportunity to finally break free from the same people you have been going to school in some cases for 13 years.

These outside people and experiences that you have during college can often shape how you become as an individual later on in society.

Yes there are plenty of Richie Rich's and self made men w/out an education... but the stats have proven over and over again that on an over all spread... those that complete college end up making a lot more than those that don't.

Besides... an educated society brings more taxes in any how... isn't that what we want in the long run? The wealthy and rich to get taxed at higher rates...etc... spend more money... etc.?
      Last edited by damontucker; November 30, 2006, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        If you want to learn to make money, college is the last place to go.
        Well, it depends. If you have bad social skills it can help a lot. It can help you build a lot of important skills like seeing through boring tasks that lead to something bigger. And it can help you build a friend network that can help a lot if you do decide to go into business or something. The piece of paper can help you raise your salary if you go to a typical career track.

It's definitely not a magical Fortune 500 factory though. Most of those guys dropped out

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
          Yeah... now THAT'S the response a good parent would give when their kid says he/she doesn't want to go to college.

"Forget about broadening your horizons, learning something new or playing a sport in college, kiddo... get that silly piece of paper so you can collect!"

Yeah... that's the ticket.
          You raise your child the way you choose to PJ and I will raise my real child the way I do... now let's keep them out of this ok?

There is no right or wrong PJ... it's a belief system...don't you realize that yet... what is going to be right in my opinion...will be wrong in yours...and vice versa...

So no worries... I'm glad that you have your beliefs and I have mine.

Comment

Kids go to college and think " I will get an education and get a good job and make good money"

How many rich college professors do you know?

How many professors do you know that run a business?

If you want to learn to make money, college is the last place to go.
            Dude, one doesn't go to college to make money-thats obvious! It is a learning and growing up experience as a whole. I grew as a person, gaining the general knowledge one needs-and used that quite a bit!

Only 1% of this country is "the rich and wealthy"

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              Have you thought about getting involved on campus?
              Very good thought there...

I guess soccer season is over??? No worries brah...the Vulcans have always sucked at sports for a long time.... except for volleyball and that was 3 years before I was there...

Student Gov't? I ran... was elected... and ended up having to spend 10 hrs a week in the Student Govt. office....(also got a monthly stipend and got to travel across the US a couple times)

*Burp* School Paper... nuff said???

RHA??? I hope Cindy isn't there still I gave that lady a nightmare as our dorm rep!

There are many opportunities...and if not.... create one!!!

How about the "Cali Club" something to that effect? Give yourself some benefit of the doubt dude... your not stupid and take advantage of what's being GIVEN to you.... k brah!!!!!!!!!

If your bored with school...me knowing you... i'm gonna say it's the environment over there more then the school...

Outz

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                There are two types of college students... those who care about their future and want to get the best education possible...

And then there are the ones who just want that silly piece of paper.

Brandon, I don't think you want to be taking advice from someone who just wanted the silly piece of paper.
                Yeah, I think I agree with this. With all due respect, Manoa, I don't think that's the best advice in the world: implying that the best reason for going to college is to just get a piece of paper with your name on it.

I'm currently in school, and when I study/write a paper/go to class, I do it expecting to learn something interesting and new that I can apply later in life. There are choke things I'd rather be doing than spending my hard-earned money and time just to say that I have a college degree. I take classes that bore me silly, but there are always at least one or two subjects in every course that spark my interest. And when I find those subjects, I try to base the rest of the quarter on those interests: expanding on them in term papers, orals, etc. Maybe one day, despite all the topics that were skimmed over briefly in school, the ones that you took a strong interest in learning more about will prove useful.

Outside of class, there are the usual suspects that you can do for kicks: campus activities, movies, surfing, girls, drinking, burning etc. One thing that's fun and maybe educational if you have some creative ideas, is to try starting your own small business and see how it goes. Your initial attempts are almost guaranteed to fail (at least mine did), but you'll learn a lot in the process and come out ahead of the game if you ever try starting a business after college. That's what I tell myself anyways, no matter how many people tell me I'm an idjit with one too many crackpot ideas.

There's some famous quote about the only way to succeed is to fail, but I can't recall the exact words, at the moment. Anyways, good luck Brandon.

Comment

Word to all that gave their feedback. There is no wrong or right here-play it by ear.

Comment

As an employer, I can honestly say that a college degree will net you a touch of skepticism from my savvy instincts. I too went to years of classes in 3 different colleges, and can still identify many marine organisms in Phylum Poriphera under a microscope. While studies were fun, and the social atmosphere was, shall I say, nekked, I had an idea for a business, got started, and made flyers on the Macintosh for real estate agents. Then I had another idea for a business, got some funding, and partners, and proceeded to master the world of OCR data entry during its' infancy in the 80's. Then I went to work for an Italian developer and built a 1 million square foot business park. Learned to speak Italian, learned to build concrete tilt up's, learned to program in 4th Dimension on a Macintosh, learned the automotive sales/insurance/classic cars industry completely, learned how to file taxes, then how to pay an accountant to do it for me, learned how to run a public television station as a volunteer (and even got to be talent a few times). And that's just for starters.

Then I scrapped it all and bolted for Hawaii. Where I learned how to Captain a ship, speak Japanese, build custom homes, Scuba Dive, master the skies with astronomy, and eventually become an appraiser. Enough horn tooting.

My point is that ALL of those skills were learned, some in a classroom-like setting, others out in the real world. But hardly any of them were acquired in what could formally be called college. However, for the "papered" industries like Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief, etc. you gotta have the degree. And I love the fact that my lawyers all studied at great institutions. But for most everything else, and especially for "making money", you just need tenacity, coupled with the ability to see things differently.

If you wanna just "work for the man", a college degree is great. Thank God I'm not "the man."

You are born smart or stupid. College is unlikely to change that fact.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

As an employer, I can honestly say that a college degree will net you a touch of skepticism from my savvy instincts.
                      There is always that. Nice degree with no previous real-world experience is usually a big downer in CS type fields. A lot of people jumped into CS during the dot-bust era just to turn a buck, but that doesn't make one good at it.

We don't always agree, Tim, but you sound like a pretty cool guy. Talk about a rounded-out background! I spent way too much of my best years sitting in front of a machine and I'm trying to make up for it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007 View Post
                        LIKE OLD MOLDY DOO DOO. HAHAHA.
                        Yeah it does. Either you smell someone who missed the crapper on the 2nd floor, deal with the phone gabbers on the 3rd, or freeze and deal with the snoring kids on the 1st.

Take Armenderez for physics if you're bored. I'm not sure if it's him or just happens to be a not so quick class, on our last test the class average was 66%.
                        ~ Sarah

Comment

Re: Bored

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                          maybe you need to do more ganja :-D
                          Sounds like a plan...where u guys going?

KaYa. T.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post

KaYa. T.
                            Does KaYa.....smoke da kine?

=~--"If it isn't captian obvious!"--~=

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007 View Post
                              Does KaYa.....smoke da kine?
                              Brandon...since you been here so long...

I'd love to hear what you think da kine is!

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW View Post
                                eh. I no inhale. I get keeds now so no can.

Comment

Working...
                                X