Anyone attend UH at Manoa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone attend UH at Manoa?

If you want to be careful, do some searching now, and look for some good rental brokers so that if you do not get a dorm (or if you really don't like the dorm at all), you can get a rental ASAP.

IMO, UH is one of the best places to do marine biology. Of course I'm no college expert, but it was a field I was interested in years ago, and UH was at the top of my list for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
      I'm a UHM alumna (2003) and I'm assuming that the campus hasn't changed that much since I graduated.

I hear they've improved the quality of food, but I wasn't too impressed the last time I had lunch with a colleague on campus.

Registering for classes has never been so easy. They implemented MyUH online just as I was getting out -- and it was so much more convenient than the primitive PA`E registration over the phone. I can't imagine how it must of been like for the older alums who had to register in person in stinky Klum Gym!

Well one wooden building did get torched remember?

Compared to Hemmingway hall when it was just a couryard and a bunch of vending machines the food is much greatly improved.

And Klum Gym brings back nightmares when it came to registering for classes. Hot, sweaty kids running from one desk to another trying to get the classes they want in the order they want with registration forms flying everywhere (when we were a paper society). By the time you were done, you didn't achieve what you wanted, you were hot and dripping with sweat and you'll realize you'd have to do this all over again next time.

And Manoa Mist isn't all that refreshing when it turns into a steam bath after making a long run from Holms Hall to Porteus. A long uphill haul and you got ummmm ten minutes to get there. By the time you arrive you're hot and sweaty from the humidity then you go into these frickin' cold ac rooms and get sick.

Then at night you go to Hamilton Library to study and they turn off the AC and air handlers at 10:30 PM just to make it uncomfortable for you to leave by 11pm closing time. By 10:45 you're gasping for air in this sealed building as carbon dioxide levels go up and you end up leaving in a dizzy spell.

Yeah I remember UH Manoa all to well. Glad that's all past me.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

UH has everything I want in a MB program. The facilities, the location, and their program are all top notch. And I can get into the school. The absolute top MB schools are near impossible to get into and insanely expensive. Shockingly, I'd be spending more in CA on school than in HI.
        ..Ashley..

Comment

Originally posted by Paws View Post
          UH has everything I want in a MB program. The facilities, the location, and their program are all top notch. And I can get into the school. The absolute top MB schools are near impossible to get into and insanely expensive. Shockingly, I'd be spending more in CA on school than in HI.
          An MB is a great degree to get and I highly recommend it. Here I think a BS in Civil Engineering and an MBA to follow will net one of the better paying jobs here.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

And Manoa Mist isn't all that refreshing when it turns into a steam bath after making a long run from Holms Hall to Porteus.
            The Board of Regents renamed Porteus Hall because of alleged racist beliefs from the building's namesake, remember?

When I was in school, it went from Porteus to Social Sciences Building to WTF are they calling it now and finally to Saunders Hall. The building was renamed in honor of Allan and Marion Saunders.

Le sigh. I spent many long days and nights in that building.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
              The Board of Regents renamed Porteus Hall because of alleged racist beliefs from the building's namesake, remember?

When I was in school, it went from Porteus to Social Sciences Building to WTF are they calling it now and finally to Saunders Hall. The building was renamed in honor of Allan and Marion Saunders.

Le sigh. I spent many long days and nights in that building.
              It'll always be Porteus to me. That was one strange building.

Comment

Paws, MB eh? A man (or woman) after my own heart. What got you interested in MB way out in IL?
                "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                "But I can't even read good."
                "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

It'll always be Porteus to me.
                  Same here - home of the KTUH transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum View Post
                    Paws, MB eh? A man (or woman) after my own heart. What got you interested in MB way out in IL?
                    Haha. I'm a girl, notice the avatar?

I've always loved the ocean. Over the summer my family and I would stay down in SC on the beach. I'd swim, boogie board, explore the swash and so much more. Those were the best summers. Recently I discovered I could actually follow my dream. I seriously never considered it until I went back to FL in September.

Manta's and rays are what interest me.

Are you into MB?
                    ..Ashley..

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Same here - home of the KTUH transmitter.
                      What are they up to? 1 watt now Didn't they up the wattage to 1,000 or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Paws View Post
                        Haha. I'm a girl, notice the avatar?

I've always loved the ocean. Over the summer my family and I would stay down in SC on the beach. I'd swim, boogie board, explore the swash and so much more. Those were the best summers. Recently I discovered I could actually follow my dream. I seriously never considered it until I went back to FL in September.

Manta's and rays are what interest me.

Are you into MB?
                        Yes, I'm looking to get my PhD more specifically in ichthyology. I'm planning on studying California's white shark population (hence the handle "white pointer chum") and other Lamniformes throughout the Pacific.
                        "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                        "But I can't even read good."
                        "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                        "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Oh you got me on that one. I guess I should have noticed the "chum" in your name.

I just got done reading this website on the CA whites. Amazing creatures. I'd love to cage dive with them. When I was in SanFran, it never occured to me that 15+ foot eating machines were swimming around in the water. I can't imagine having an open encounter with one.

Do you post on the Plankton Forums? I think you'd like it there.
                          ..Ashley..

Comment

What are they up to? 1 watt now Didn't they up the wattage to 1,000 or something like that?
                            Well, at the time I was there, it was a 10 watt exciter (aka modulator - no final amplifier like a real transmitter would have) but with that big antenna, it had about 100 watt ERP. I do know there was concern that the FCC eliminated the "class D" 10W FM station and that they'd need to upgrade to at least 100W to ensure they could keep their frequencies. But since that was 100W ERP, it probably didn't take much to do the actual upgrade.

According to the KTUH website, they stepped up to 1000W and are now at 3000 Watts. I assume that's the main transmitter. Not sure what the story is on their two translators.

Comment

Working...
                            X