Did you get good grades in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did you get good grades in school?

My parents were Indian--I had no choice about my grades (neither did my sister and brother). I remember hiding my Bs from writing class in kindergarten because I didn't want my parents to see them.

Valedictorian/straight As throughout school (as did my siblings) until I got to college, when I was then beyond the reach of my parents and able to explore life, learn valuable life lessons, and learn more about myself. Grades were still important at that time but not as much so until I got into the Circulation Technology program my final two years of college. Thus my GPA dropped in college considerably, but was still quite respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      Always got A's and B's in elementary except for "Conduct" grades.[...]
      You bring up a good point. When my kids were in school they knew I expected them to take it seriously and perform to the best of their ability. I was all for eradicating the letter grade system and in favor of a "critique of the student" report. When they brought their report cards home the first thing I checked was all that behavior/conduct stuff. The letter grades were superfluous. If they got rave reviews for applying themselves, working hard and being good human beings, a "C" or a "D" (altho' that didn't happen!) was inconsequential to me. How they related to their teachers and peers, their behavior during school, their study habits, their participation in extracurricular activities, their respect of others and the school itself and their willingness and eagerness to learn was far more important to me than any letter. Both excelled in school; one was valedictorian. I would still, over 20 years later, like to see the letter grade system abolished altho' I know it's not practical!

Comment

Anyone hit up Fun Factory with their grades for the free tokens?

Comment

school was my escape. GPA mattered less than the rigor of the course. I preferred to face tougher challenges and fight for my grades than ace an easier course. My whole family shared that attitude, so the only pressure for grades was that which I imposed on myself.

pax

Comment

Elementary/Grade School- I did well, especially in music and hawaiian studies
            Intermediate School- Again I did fairly well

High School- I did okay, paid more attention to the boys than hitting the books. I did well in my chorus class and my piano class though. Got straight A's in chorus and piano

College- I did fairly well in my Hawaiian language classes and my Hawaiian Studies courses (I got A's and B's in those classes)
            Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Up until the 3rd quarter of the 6th grade, I had excellent grades -- damned near perfect in everything. Then I had a really bad confrontation with my 6th grade teacher (it's a long story, but I'll tell it if anyone's really interested), and I developed an unshakable animosity toward any kind of institutionalized education.

After that, my grades took a sharp decline. By high school, I found that with barely any effort, I could sail by with a C average. So that's all I did. I was completely apathetic, and often focused my energies on pissing off my teachers instead.

I went to UH, got dismal grades and eventually gave up, disillusioned (again, a long story, but I could elaborate if anyone's really curious). It felt completely pointless. In the subjects I was interested in, I was learning more and learning faster by simply reading the textbook and teaching myself. In subjects I wasn't interested in, well... I just couldn't see the point of learning it.

I know it might not sound like it, but I actually consider education vitally important. I think I'm doing fine now, but I would certainly not recommend anyone try to live their life the way I did mine.

Comment

A high IQ does not guarantee you'll be an excellent worker or a good student. Or make money. A quick wit might take you to a very sad life and an unprofitable career. A dull person with or without college can be a great worker and earner. You don't need college to become rich. Neither you need to be smart or intelligent. They all help though. A lot. You're mixing education as a profession with education as knowledge, skill and experience. The rich have always placed value on their family's education while underpaying the educators. When you hear of stories about those who "made it" despite lacking college etc. doesn't this "despite" serve as a clue? Many of the self-made people were also self-educated and very well educated at that. College does teach you sets of skills needed to make a living in a particular field of activity. It creates (or should create) an environment in which you learn, broaden your views and gain tools to add more knowledge (and hopefully a buck or two) later on. It is up to you to make something out of it. A diploma is not a certificate of high natural intelligence or quick wit. Neither is anyone's bank statement.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                Grammar school and High School were easy as pi. A's and B's without even taking home a book.

College was somewhat interesting for a while. Then I realized that many of my professors were not wealthy. So I jumped ship and started my first business. The rest is hi$tory.

You are born smart or stupid. College will not change a thing. It is unlikely that a college education will teach you how to make a living. Some of the smartest folks I know never went. Some of the richest folks I know never finished. A papered degree is essential to become a doctor, lawyer, or indian chief. But as an employer, I will tell you that any prospect is suspect when his resume is stuffed with academic achievement. Show me the money.

I would sooner hire an employee who is ex-military than a college graduate in almost every single situation.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                  Up until the 3rd quarter of the 6th grade, I had excellent grades -- damned near perfect in everything. Then I had a really bad confrontation with my 6th grade teacher (it's a long story, but I'll tell it if anyone's really interested), and I developed an unshakable animosity toward any kind of institutionalized education.

After that, my grades took a sharp decline. By high school, I found that with barely any effort, I could sail by with a C average. So that's all I did. I was completely apathetic, and often focused my energies on pissing off my teachers instead.
                  Boy, does that story sound familiar. I was an obnoxious little class clown in my school days - but I got high grades until halfway through high-school, when I stopped caring. I used to blame the teachers, the educational system, etc. Now I know it was just me.

Got an Associate of Arts communications degree from a community college (and finished half of the courses toward an Associate degree in electronics), but got into my desired career while in college.

I'm still an obnoxious class clown - just not as little.

Comment

Working...
                  X