Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamehameha Schools Requirements - I'm confused..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kamehameha Schools Requirements - I'm confused..

One of the compelling arguements about ther word "Orphans" as described in Pauahi's will is what she really meant by it.

As we all know the will was drafted and became a legal testament in the eyes of the Hawaiian Monarchy (Government) BEFORE the overthrow. Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop being of high social standing at that time must have known that and I believe drafted her will to protect the children of Hawaiian ancestry (future generations of Hawaiians) by allocating her financial assets to educate those Hawaiian children who will be "Orphaned" from their motherland which is the kingdom of Hawaii.

I believe she realized once the United States of America took over the kingdom, her people would become second-class citizens and would be deprived of higher education that would be afforded to non-Hawaiians. By making her will a testament to Hawaiian "Orphans" under the laws of the Hawaiian monarchy she would hope those legal documents would be honored under the "new" governing body that is the USA.

This is just speculation on my part but there are a few of us out there that understand Pauahi's vision, that this is what she was intending.

When the Hawaiian monarchy did in fact fall shortly after her will was made her assets were used for the benefit of future Hawaiians (as it is today).

I believe she had to know the monarchy was about to fall so she did what she had to do to ensure there was financial support for the Hawaiian keiki so they too could compete intellectually with the rest of the world.

All present day Hawaiians are in fact "Orphans" of the governing body that was once the proud monarchy of Hawaii, but not all of these Hawaiians shared Pauahi's vision, so it was vital that only those Hawaiians that did believe in her vision would be allowed the right to be served by her will.

This is why I believe the former Bishop Estate trustees dropped the lottery system in favor of a system with Hawaiian children who proved to push themselves academically with their good grades AND understood Pauahi's vision. These are the orphans for which she needed to focus her limited financial resources on because her vision also allowed those who followed it to go out and administer their knowledge to those less fortunate so in time ALL Hawaiians could feel the impact (directly or indirectly) of her vision.

This is all speculation however when you feel the emotion within the context of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop's vision and understand what the people of Hawaii were about to lose when the Monarchy fell, then you can appreciate how important this will truly was. Her vision was in fact brilliant and has to this date withstood the scrutiny of the US Government's own Constitution in the highest court in the land.

I have instilled this vision in my children so they too can perpetuate her desire to help all Hawaiians...even those Hawaiians who feel bitter at the Princess who had the vision to serve them.

Mililani, you have to instill that vision in your child's mind so it is instinctive in his desire to learn, take advantage of, and facilitate to the greater Hawaiian communities around the State of Hawaii, the vision of Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop. Achievement at KSBE isn't just academic scores...it is the desire to help all Hawaiians while attending and once graduated from this institution. Community service is paramount and mandated to all KSBE students. What he should be focusing on is his desire to do just that.

In his interview he has to "WOW" them with that vision but more importantly, believe in it too. That to me is how to get in.

My oldest boy who graduated from the Kapalama campus back in 2002 is now working for the Department of Human Services in Honolulu helping those who need it. My second eldest who also graduated from Kapalama is attending UH Hilo to be a Civil Engineer once he graduates from the Manoa campus. My third eldest who just graduated from the Keaau Campus joined the US Marines because he wanted to help those on the front lines.

All of my boys who have since graduated from Kamehameha share in the vision that granted them admission to it. Even my wife who never attended KSBE got her masters degree in Early Childhood Education thru scholarships from KSBE and has served the impoverished native Hawaiian communities here on the Big Island, and is now serving the entire state of Hawaii thru her desire to register and license childcare providers.

Their community service to those here in Hawaii happened because a common, shared vision was the driving force to help those less fortunate.

These are the kinds of people KSBE want to help directly so they can go out to the greater Hawaiian population to help those Hawaiians who can't see Pauahi's vision but desperately need it.

That is the vision your child needs to embrace if he wants to gain admission to KSBE.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm not so sure about your definiton Craig. Pauahi was well acquainted with what western diseases had done and were doing to her people, leaving many actual orphans. Additionally she seems to have embraced the idea that the Hawaiian people needed to ready themselves to compete with immigrants without special treatment. All citizens of the Monarchy shared equal rights if I recall. I think she really meant those Hawaiian children who had no parents to instill the drive necessary to deal with modern realities. I could be wrong.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I could be wrong too and it does seem far fetched that my belief is what was on her mind. Regardless the wording in her will did produce a very solid foundation that seems to have weathered public scrutiny to this date.

If you take the passion behind her vision and apply it to what a KSBE student or scholarship recipient should gain from the benefits of her will, then you can see what it takes to gain admission to this institution. Good grades are one thing, desire to help other Hawaiians is equally important and that should be the focus when granted an interview.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          One of the compelling arguements about ther word "Orphans" as described in Pauahi's will is what she really meant by it.

As we all know the will was drafted and became a legal testament in the eyes of the Hawaiian Monarchy (Government) BEFORE the overthrow. Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop being of high social standing at that time must have known that and I believe drafted her will to protect the children of Hawaiian ancestry (future generations of Hawaiians) by allocating her financial assets to educate those Hawaiian children who will be "Orphaned" from their motherland which is the kingdom of Hawaii.

I believe she realized once the United States of America took over the kingdom, her people would become second-class citizens and would be deprived of higher education that would be afforded to non-Hawaiians. By making her will a testament to Hawaiian "Orphans" under the laws of the Hawaiian monarchy she would hope those legal documents would be honored under the "new" governing body that is the USA.

This is just speculation on my part but there are a few of us out there that understand Pauahi's vision, that this is what she was intending.
          I completely disagree.

http://www.ksbe.edu/endowment/bpbish...l/allwill.html
          excerpted:
          Thirteenth. I give, devise and bequeath all of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate real and personal, wherever situated unto the trustees below named, their heirs and assigns forever, to hold upon the following trusts, namely: to erect and maintain in the Hawaiian Islands two schools, each for boarding and day scholars, one for boys and one for girls, to be known as, and called the Kamehameha Schools.

I direct my trustees to expend such amount as they may deem best, not to exceed however one-half of the fund which may come into their hands, in the purchase of suitable premises, the erection of school buildings, and in furnishing the same with the necessary and appropriate fixtures furniture and apparatus.

I direct my trustees to invest the remainder of my estate in such manner as they may think best, and to expend the annual income in the maintenance of said schools; meaning thereby the salaries of teachers, the repairing buildings and other incidental expenses; and to devote a portion of each years income to the support and education of orphans, and others in indigent circumstances, giving the preference to Hawaiians of pure or part aboriginal blood; the proportion in which said annual income is to be divided among the various objects above mentioned to be determined solely by my said trustees they to have full discretion.

This 31st day of October A. D. 1883.

==========================
          Let us forget for a moment that we are living in 2007. We need to think in olde Victorian English, which is the form that Pauahi and her contemporaries were educated in and spoke.

Let us also forget for a moment that she was a Hawaiian woman. She was a Princess, and her capacity to bequeath at all was the result of her station not ethnicity.

That being said,

In bold is the only sentence which addresses the beneficiaries of her school. Remember, semi-colons separated sentences and periods pretty much ended paragraphs, as far as business writing went in that era.

In red are the only two descriptions of her intended beneficiaries. These are socio-economic in nature. The orphaned and the indigent.

In blue we see a dependent clause. Typical of writing back then, dependent clauses started with verbs which directly follows a comma as in "giving preference to...."

This means she specified that her school should serve an orphaned and indigent population. Out of that orphaned and indigent student population, preference should be given to the Hawaiian orphaned and indigent.

Finally, what monarch (not no tribal chiefess, but a contemporary, sophisticated, educated, bilingual businesswoman potential head of state), on this earth, only takes care of their own ethnic wards? She lived in a time when their subjects included naturalizing citizenry. She acknowledged this fact when she identified both Hawaiian and Part-Hawaiian ethnicities. It really is an insult to think that our ali'i weren't concerned for all of their subjects.

So then....

Let us take a critical look at what the Princess wanted. To educate those orphaned and indigent. And out of that destitute group, choose Hawaiian children first. Because Hawaiians were dying out.

And, the farther back in history we go, we can see better examples of when the trustees interpreted her will in a closer fashion (nowadays, lawyers do the interpreting):

http://www.ksbe.edu/imuatv/shows/show1/show.htm

Legacy: Wright Bowman

In 1914, Kamehameha was considered by many to be almost an orphanage, a "poor boys" school. Can you imagine what it would be like to become a boarder at age 7? Still spry at 93 years of age, Wright Bowman's remarkable story spans a timeline that ranges from the horse and buggy to the Space Shuttle. Master woodworker Bowman and student Ka`ili Chun, graduates separated by over 50 years (KS '28 and '80), are working together in the time-honored tradition of teacher and apprentice.
          Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; December 11, 2007, 08:55 PM. Reason: layout issues

pax

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies.

Pua'i, I am not going to pretend to be prolific in the English language; not then, not now, but I think I understand what you are saying. If your definition of the "bolded excerpt" shows that Princess Pauahi had wanted orphans and indigent children (without ethnicity) among her beneficiaries, then we are talking about FIRST orphan and indigent THEN hawaiians (pure or part). Right?

Except, the KSBE website states, " At our major entry points 15-25% of new spaces are reserved for applicants identified as either orphaned or indigent." Unfortunately, I was told that orphans and Indigents are considered ONE preference, not two separate ones. Let's say 15-25% that had a decent score are indigent. KSBE would not have to invite the orphan because they've already filled the quota of new spaces available. The orphan would have to pray he scored high enough to remain in the game without the added preference.

So, it all boils down to what the trustees decide (15-25%) or if someone is suing KS, what the attorney and judges agree on. Sighh...

We haven't heard anything back from the school, yet, but my son didn't think he did too badly. He said the interview went OK. He did mention something about telling the interviewer that he wanted to help the community after he gets his doctorate. LOL The testing, he said, was easy. Either way, I'm glad we made the trip.
            A proud sponsor of
            http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              I completely disagree.

http://www.ksbe.edu/endowment/bpbish...l/allwill.html
              excerpted:
              Thirteenth. I give, devise and bequeath all of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate real and personal, wherever situated unto the trustees below named, their heirs and assigns forever, to hold upon the following trusts, namely: to erect and maintain in the Hawaiian Islands two schools, each for boarding and day scholars, one for boys and one for girls, to be known as, and called the Kamehameha Schools.

I direct my trustees to expend such amount as they may deem best, not to exceed however one-half of the fund which may come into their hands, in the purchase of suitable premises, the erection of school buildings, and in furnishing the same with the necessary and appropriate fixtures furniture and apparatus.

I direct my trustees to invest the remainder of my estate in such manner as they may think best, and to expend the annual income in the maintenance of said schools; meaning thereby the salaries of teachers, the repairing buildings and other incidental expenses; and to devote a portion of each years income to the support and education of orphans, and others in indigent circumstances, giving the preference to Hawaiians of pure or part aboriginal blood; the proportion in which said annual income is to be divided among the various objects above mentioned to be determined solely by my said trustees they to have full discretion.

This 31st day of October A. D. 1883.

==========================
              Let us forget for a moment that we are living in 2007. We need to think in olde Victorian English, which is the form that Pauahi and her contemporaries were educated in and spoke.

Let us also forget for a moment that she was a Hawaiian woman. She was a Princess, and her capacity to bequeath at all was the result of her station not ethnicity.

That being said,

In bold is the only sentence which addresses the beneficiaries of her school. Remember, semi-colons separated sentences and periods pretty much ended paragraphs, as far as business writing went in that era.

In red are the only two descriptions of her intended beneficiaries. These are socio-economic in nature. The orphaned and the indigent.

In blue we see a dependent clause. Typical of writing back then, dependent clauses started with verbs which directly follows a comma as in "giving preference to...."

This means she specified that her school should serve an orphaned and indigent population. Out of that orphaned and indigent student population, preference should be given to the Hawaiian orphaned and indigent.

Finally, what monarch (not no tribal chiefess, but a contemporary, sophisticated, educated, bilingual businesswoman potential head of state), on this earth, only takes care of their own ethnic wards? She lived in a time when their subjects included naturalizing citizenry. She acknowledged this fact when she identified both Hawaiian and Part-Hawaiian ethnicities. It really is an insult to think that our ali'i weren't concerned for all of their subjects.

So then....

Let us take a critical look at what the Princess wanted. To educate those orphaned and indigent. And out of that destitute group, choose Hawaiian children first. Because Hawaiians were dying out.

And, the farther back in history we go, we can see better examples of when the trustees interpreted her will in a closer fashion (nowadays, lawyers do the interpreting):

http://www.ksbe.edu/imuatv/shows/show1/show.htm

In 1914, Kamehameha was considered by many to be almost an orphanage, a "poor boys" school. Can you imagine what it would be like to become a boarder at age 7? Still spry at 93 years of age, Wright Bowman's remarkable story spans a timeline that ranges from the horse and buggy to the Space Shuttle. Master woodworker Bowman and student Ka`ili Chun, graduates separated by over 50 years (KS '28 and '80), are working together in the time-honored tradition of teacher and apprentice.

Yeah okay So would you write, "...an hour per day" or, "...a hour per day"

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post

Nice guy that Wright Bowman. I visited him at his home and shop in Nuuanu once. Amazing man. Nice man.

Comment

Of course the teachers were supposed to be Protestant.

The trustees were supposed to be Protestant.

The Supreme Court was supposed to select the Trustees.

What else has been ignored??????

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                    Of course the teachers were supposed to be Protestant.

The trustees were supposed to be Protestant.

The Supreme Court was supposed to select the Trustees.

What else has been ignored??????
                    Well, I would say, "quite a bit." But, what can one do?
                    A proud sponsor of
                    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Working...
                    X