Learn Hawaiian... FREEEEE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learn Hawaiian... FREEEEE!

I know!!!!!! i can understand some but not fluently.. and I compeltely regret not listening in class or listenin to my granny lol

Comment

Originally posted by *pinao* View Post
      I know!!!!!! i can understand some but not fluently.. and I compeltely regret not listening in class or listenin to my granny lol
      'A'ole pilikia! It's never too late to start learning again. That's why I have been saying that if any beginner out there wants kokua, you may e-mail or PM me with any questions. I'll be glad to answer them. Oh, and that's why Alana and I have taught the classes on the phone that have been mentioned before as well, and we'll continue to do them.

'Alika
      'Alika

Comment

I was looking up a correct spelling for my daughter, then out of randomness started reading the articles...came on this one that I thought might interest considering the topic:

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/article004.html

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
          'A'ole pilikia! It's never too late to start learning again. That's why I have been saying that if any beginner out there wants kokua, you may e-mail or PM me with any questions. I'll be glad to answer them. Oh, and that's why Alana and I have taught the classes on the phone that have been mentioned before as well, and we'll continue to do them.

'Alika
          The lack of haʻahaʻa in your language worries me. By saying that you and achow teach classes, do you consider yourselves kumu? Do you consider yourselves beyond the beginner level?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            The lack of haʻahaʻa in your language worries me.
            What's ha`aha`a?
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              The lack of haʻahaʻa in your language worries me. By saying that you and achow teach classes, do you consider yourselves kumu? Do you consider yourselves beyond the beginner level?

Actually, I am learning at what will be considered Intermediate level. I am relearning it but it hard to start with someone who is learning the language for the first time. I don't think I am that advanced to be called kumu just yet maybe haumana. We still teach it via telephone.

Alana
              Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                What's ha`aha`a?
                Humility, which I presume you probably already knew.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  Humility, which I presume you probably already knew.
                  I didn't, but I really like the sound of it. Are any of those has the ha that means breath? What would humility have to do with breath?
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Are any of those has the ha that means breath? What would humility have to do with breath?
                    No, because the "ha" that is for breath should have kahako over the a (which I still haven't quite figured out how to do here easily.) "Ha`a" means "low," so doubling it represents meekness.

For the sake of additional information, if you add the causative prefix "ho`o," you get ho`oha`aha`a, which means to humiliate (you lowered someone else, rather than yourself.) Another example of a word you might know that uses this prefix: ho`oponopono - which is when there is a gathering of people who might have a dispute - they are working to make things right (or pono.) Not a precise translation, but I would hope it is accurate enough to get the point across. Correction/refinement is encouraged.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 6, 2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

What's ha`aha`a?
                      Ha'aha'a means humility.
                      'Alika

Comment

E Pua'i, what do you mean when you ask if we're beginners? I know how to greet people, ask how they are, introduce myself, say where I'm from, ask and say what this/that is, describe people and things as in, "Nani ka hale," count ('ekahi, 'elua, 'ekolu, etc), tell time, say where someone or something is, say things like, "I will travel to Honolulu" or, "He went to your house today", and sing and translate some Hawaiian songs. What would you call that? Advanced beginner? Intermediate? I'm continuing to learn more to this day.
                        Last edited by akrauth; September 7, 2007, 10:50 AM.
                        'Alika

Comment

A great question. Let's take a look at the realm of the beginner level:

Early stages of fluency (aka the beginner level 2nd language learner) encompasses a wide ground, from vocab acquisition and retention, rules of grammar, specifically learning the cultural nuances and mores through grammar for thought composition (and all the gaffes along the way) and pronunciation. Most importantly, there is a time element involved. No such thing as "speed fluency".

Let's take your signature:
                          Me ke aloha pumehana mai ku'u pu'uwai ia 'oukou. (With warm love from my heart to you all.)

This is an English thought employing simple Hawaiian grammar and vocabulary. If it was composed through a Hawaiian thought pattern, it wouldn't start with 'with' (me) and it wouldn't be "from" (mai) and it wouldn't involve the heart organ (puʻuwai), nor would it extend to others (iā ʻoukou) from said organ. With 2nd language learners, a kumu would teach the Hawaiian thought of encompassing love, the importance of naʻau in love and the sentence composition would build upon the Hawaiian thought.

There are a myriad of ways to do this in Hawaiian when working with the beginner level:
                          Piha kuʻu naʻau i ke aloha iā kākou (full are my guts of loving all of us)

Looking further, this is a signature, so how do the kupuna "sign off?" What is culturally correct?
                          ʻO au iho nō...(truly me)

Recognizing that there is a respected, established and understood form, we now start to compose, using Hawaiian thoughts with Hawaiian form.

ʻO au iho nō me ka naʻau piha i ke aloha (Truly I declare with my guts full of aloha. )

Notice that this very Hawaiian thought murders the English ears to hear it. Likewise, your signature is a teeth-clencher to the Hawaiian ear. Until you are proficient (∑=examples via time via gaffes via corrections therefore learning) at understanding/negotiating/contemplating and composing through this, you do not move past the beginner level.

Don't give up. You are willing to study with others and I applaud that. But do not consider yourself ready to teach, because you aren't.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            No, because the "ha" that is for breath should have kahako over the a (which I still haven't quite figured out how to do here easily.) "Ha`a" means "low," so doubling it represents meekness.

For the sake of additional information, if you add the causative prefix "ho`o," you get ho`oha`aha`a, which means to humiliate (you lowered someone else, rather than yourself.) Another example of a word you might know that uses this prefix: ho`oponopono - which is when there is a gathering of people who might have a dispute - they are working to make things right (or pono.) Not a precise translation, but I would hope it is accurate enough to get the point across. Correction/refinement is encouraged.
                            Haʻahaʻa is the first foundation, it is the lowly point. One cannot get to kiʻekiʻe until passing through haʻahaʻa; to do so then isnʻt kiʻekiʻe, but hoʻokano. The Hawaiian dictionary is kind of a drag in that it doesnʻt explain the fullness of these terms, but that is what it is. The easiest example is that kula haʻahaʻa is elementary school, and kula kiʻekiʻe is high school--see these as foundational terms, like legos, instead of mere criticism.

pax

Comment

Okay, so there's more than humility involved: It sounds like there's something about the spirit with which one teaches. When you add that word kumu, something tells me it's not just about teaching with humility.

Is it something like, "I have been blessed with something to share, and now I humbly offer it to you?" Or maybe something like, "You call me teacher, so I humbly serve you in whatever way I can?"

So what would that other term, kumu ki`eki`e, be about?

Sorry. Maybe this isn't the place for a lesson, but I'm super interested.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So what would that other term, kumu ki`eki`e, be about?
                                I'm guessing here, mind you, from my tiny puddle of education, but the kumu can still be a humble source of knowledge, while having exalted status in the respectful hearts of their haumana.

Comment

Working...
                                X