Meteorite breaks up over Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteorite breaks up over Russia

A big chunk of something smashed into urban regions .

The blast brings to mind the Tunguska event and the contrasting Crater
    in Arizona.
    The Tunguska event was likely a comet that popped like a pressure cooker.

Or it may have been a crippled spacecraft.

If true, this event is truly rare.
    There is an episode of "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy
    on you tube .Season 3 episode 7.
    Last edited by lensperson; February 15, 2013, 12:58 AM. Reason: more data

Re: Meteorite breaks up over Russia

news.yahoo.com/possible-meteor-shower-reported-eastern-russia-052833588.html

Quite amazing. Lenin St. in Chelyabinsk was affected. It brings to mind the Tunguska event of about 1908 in Siberia when something, thought to be maybe a meteor exploding high in the atmosphere, knocked down a huge forest area. There is still no universally accepted explanation of that event. This meteor strike might be associated with the asteroid expected to pass close to Earth quite soon.

Comment

An astronomer interviewed on local news said there was no connection between the Chelyabinsk event and the asteroid expected to pass Earth about 11:20 PST this morning. The objects have their own independent orbits.

On the general topic of unexplained strange events...Back in 1984 Mauna Loa and Kilauea erupted simultaneously. Big Island friends said they saw a light rise from Kilauea then descend into Mauna Loa and then the Mauna Loa eruption began. I don't think they are liars or insane but the account seems undeniably strange. Doesn't it? Does anybody on this board have a similar experience, or any final word on it, or might have heard an account like that of the event? Hawai'i seems to be a spirit place. Doesn't it?

Comment

I wonder - is Russia a meteor magnet?
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The headline should be "Meteoroid breaks up over Russia", since "meteorite" refers to any solid part that remains after the fall to earth. The fiery streak through the sky is the "meteor", and the lump of stuff that causes it is a "meteoroid".
          Greg

Comment

Its one of those inexplicable coincidences, seemingly, that the biggest meteor strike since the one that also hit in Russia over 100 years ago just happened to happen on the same day the record closest asteroid approach happens. Hmmm. And evidently not connected at all. Another huge coincidence: opening pitch of the 1989 World Series between SF and Oakland, the Loma Prieta quake. Hmmm. Just thinking about the odds defies logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              Its one of those inexplicable coincidences, seemingly, that the biggest meteor strike since the one that also hit in Russia over 100 years ago just happened to happen on the same day the record closest asteroid approach happens. Hmmm.
              Perhaps it's the beginning of the end. We will see.

It's mostly random coincidence, but sometimes there are connections.

When I came home today, maybe around 4pm, I was leaning against my neighbor's chain-link fence, and felt a small tremor. Likely it was too small to be mentioned anywhere. Probably 2,? at the point of attention, maybe up to 3.5 elsewhere. Who knows?

I love Hawai`i earthquakes - as long as no one is hurt.

Rock and ROLL!

I feel major compassion for the people who were caught in the blast of the supersonic re-entry. It must have been a major, no, MAJOR traumatic experience. I'm certain many people thought: "OMG (or oh, Marx, Lenin and Trotky), the USA has nuked us!

Face it, the brighter than daylight lights at 9AM Moscow time, when it's still dim, the rocking explosions, the blown-in windows and doors. All I need now is for USA Internet to grab my posting.... [u]I'd believe![/i]

Keep communications open, and BAN NUKES NOW!
              Last edited by Kaonohi; February 15, 2013, 04:02 PM. Reason: BAN NUKES NOW!!!!!
              ~ ~

Comment

I've heard no word of fragment recovery?
                I've heard no radioactive stuff, but, can other stuff be dangerous?

I suppose so.
                Last edited by Kaonohi; February 15, 2013, 04:23 PM. Reason: The radioactive reindeer needed the atom power for Rudolph's NOSE!
                ~ ~

Comment

As far as the big lights on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are concerned
                  I have a you tube download of that very event.

It is possible that static electricity causes these outbursts on occasion.

A piezoelectric effect may account for these phenomena

It is is best to keep an open mind as regards these strange but true Happenings.

Comment

Marx, Engles and Lenin, lets sing it again and again-en...

Yes there are deniers in Russia who say it was the US testing weapons. Where is Putin's birth certificate??

And another unrelated (hmmm) meteor over the SF Bay area last night. Maybe this kind of thing goes on all the time but you only notice it when the news starts paying attention. Maybe there is just some area of space that the solar system is moving through that has a higher than average population of asteroids or meteors.

Comment

amazing that event is on you tube! mahalo!

Trotsky...I remember in college the MOST boring people were carrying on the Stalinist-Trotskyite arguments perpetually in the student union. I knew a Mexican lady from Mexico City who knew Trotsky when he lived there. How can anybody occupy their mind with anything as boring as Marxist Leninism? We had to read some Marx in economics. If you ever need to get to sleep read some Marx, it will put you out real fast.

Earthquakes...whenever you feel one here you always wonder if its a tiny 2.5 a few blocks away or maybe a 7.8 up the coast. So far no bad ones in SD. The big faults seem to go far east of here though just a little bit north of LA. But nobody really knows what faults exist. A few years after the San Onofre nuclear plant was put on line a relatively small fault was discovered just about a half mile away. The Long Beach quake of the mid '30's was on a fault line that goes along the bay front in San Diego, around Mt. Soledad and out to sea until it emerges at Long Beach, geologists say it could do a 7.2 (but who really knows?).
                      Last edited by Kalalau; February 16, 2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lensperson View Post
                        As far as the big lights on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are concerned
                        I have a you tube download of that very event.

It is possible that static electricity causes these outbursts on occasion.

A piezoelectric effect may account for these phenomena

It is is best to keep an open mind as regards these strange but true Happenings.
                        Is there a way you can share? I'd love to see it.

Oh yes, here is a URL for some good meteor videos.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...meteor+videos/
                        Last edited by Kaonohi; February 16, 2013, 11:13 AM.
                        ~ ~

Comment

Also, for a source of additional good videos regarding the Meteorite (it did hit Earth, btw), go to the following site: the first few messages have URLs that link to videos, and you don't need to sign up to just read.

http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000110/...6145657#latest
                          ~ ~

Comment

A fascinating way of seeing piezoelectricity can be done with
                            two smooth Quartz pebbles.

The light observed will be faint, and one needs to let ones vision adjust.

Rub the pebbles together with a moderate amount of pressure and you
                            will see an orange colored light emit from within the minerals.

This will even work under water.

Comment

http://science.nbcnews.com/_news/201...id=msnhp&pos=7

Run for your lives!

Comment

Working...
                              X