water catchment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water catchment

it's not that big trees attract more rain, its more that rain makes for big trees. Trees are not good for catchment systems as the leaves fall onto the roofs and the decomposing leaves end up tainting your water like tea leaves.

Tanks like Dave's is a good type of tank as the costs are lower than mine (one piece fiberglass enclosed tanks...meaning no separate top covers but a manhole for periodic inspection/cleaning and filling)

If your tank is over 6-feet high then a permit is necessary that's why the doughboys are a popular choice. They look like Dave's but they are under 6-feet high and have a wider diameter to compensate for the volume. The problem with these low-profile tanks is the canvas cover is bigger and is harder to keep erect because of it's larger surface area.

As for running out of water. That's a common fear for most newbies, I know I was one of them. But with rain falling virtually every evening (a lot of time intense) your tank(s) get topped off every night.

During the drought season you just schedule the water hauler to deliver at a rate of one delivery every three weeks if you are a heavy user or once a month if you conserve or are a small family (under 4).

You mentioned long hoses. Water haulers don't like to unreel all their hose and accessability is also something they like. One water hauler told me they cringe and will sometimes put homes that have difficult tank locations last on their list of deliveries focusing on the easier homes. Makes sense as for every house the tanker has to take it's time to get to the tank, that's less time to pump or get to another home.

Another way to get on their (water hauler's) favorable customer list is to periodically take a delivery during non-drought times. When it rains heavily most of the year, these haulers don't bring in a whole lot of revenue and they suffer. By taking a token delivery during these times they remember you when everybody's calling for water when it's dry time. I learned that back scratcher this year when I took two loads during the rainy season because SOMEONE LEFT THE RUNNING TOILET GO FOR TWO DAYS!!! and drained both 5,000 gallon tanks to within 1/8-tank. Talk about sucking up vapors!

When the drought hit last month, I called this hauler and got two deliveries within two hours instead of one week.

Once you get used to catchment systems, it's hard to wonder why you never used it before when you were on county water paying high sewer fees to boot!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

just wondering, if you were to need to buy a tank again, would you choose a fiberglass or a metal w/ liner? and, i saw mention of "both 5,000 gal" tanks ... i won't need TWO tanks will i? and, why two 5,000 gal instead of one 10,000 gal (maybe they don't make 10,000 gal...?)?
      i'm mostly worried that we will buy a setup that needs improvements in the future, and that we could have avoided problems/expense by buying the right thing in the first place. that applies to not only the tank itself, but also the filtration system. sigh.

Comment

I have two 5K tanks because it's total footprint is not as invasive as one big 10k tank, plus with two separate tanks if one gets damaged or leaks, I still have another tank intact.

I've been considering going to those low profile doughboys simply because of cost...it's way cheaper I'm told. One thing about fiberglass tanks is that you will have a greater tendancy for initial leaks that will have to be patched. At least you won't have to worry about rusting.

I prefer an enclosed tank as opposed to one that simply has a cover. My kid's elementary school teacher was taking a shower when her husband told her to stop. When she came out he took her out to their catchment tank and found fur floating on the surface and eventually fished out their dead and bloated pet cat that mysteriously disappeared a few days earlier. Yep I think I'll stay with an enclosed one piece tank setup.

As for filtering if you don't want to change filters every week then go with a sediment filter at the pump and a PUR faucet filter at the sinks and shower heads and you'll be changing the sediment filter about once a month. The sediment filters run about $4 each. The PUR filters will require less chang out because of the pre filtering.

If you go with just a charcoal filter that can filter to 1-micron then it'll be a weekly filter change but only at the pump as you won't need one at each faucet or shower head. These filters run about $6 per cartridge.

Some people go with total filteration with reverse osmosis and UV radiation. That's the most expensive and complete filtering you can get but not too practical as even county water isn't that filtered.

The best filtering set up is a Diatom filter where water is polished to absolute clarity and is chemically pure. These filters are so good that when used in fish aquariums it is recommended to turn it on for just one hour per month as it filters all biological elements that are conducive for a healthy aquarium.

One thing about excessive filtering is that you don't want to filter out necessary minerals essential for good health. Reverse Osmosis and Diatom filters will do just that.

I had a Reverse Osmosis filter but deemed it too expensive for practical usage. Now I simply use a sediment/charcoal/Pur filter in that sequence and change out all filters once a month with the exception of the PUR filters that seem to last about 5-months with all that pre-filtering.

My water is chemically purer than county water as well as softer and more alkaline (better for the body).
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 20, 2005, 09:28 AM.

Comment

thanks craig, you've given me hope that i can not only keep animal carcasses to a minimum, but actually have "safe" water! i guess it's time for me to start doing some shopping-by-phone, getting prices and availability. i hope the water-system salespeople are trustworthy. any recommendations on companies for tanks/filters, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
            thanks craig, you've given me hope that i can not only keep animal carcasses to a minimum, but actually have "safe" water! i guess it's time for me to start doing some shopping-by-phone, getting prices and availability. i hope the water-system salespeople are trustworthy. any recommendations on companies for tanks/filters, etc?

As a son of former coffee farmers, this thread makes me chuckle a bit because all they used as a filter was a Durham bag and no one got sick
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              As a son of former coffee farmers, this thread makes me chuckle a bit because all they used as a filter was a Durham bag and no one got sick
              that was probably in the days before leptospirosis, giardiasis, and salmonellosis. heck, nowadays i need to give a lecture to the kids before they swim in the freshwater streams because of all the diseases. but, that's subject for another thread...

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                that was probably in the days before leptospirosis, giardiasis, and salmonellosis. heck, nowadays i need to give a lecture to the kids before they swim in the freshwater streams because of all the diseases. but, that's subject for another thread...

well, it's also back in the day when we all had healthier defense mechanisms. there's anodda woid for it; forgot the phrase.... Immunity something...
                also, now, we use crap like that antibacterial soap and now, as a result, bacteria is growing hardier, and this kinda stuff doesn't affect it.

Comment

yeah and back then:

Certain neuro muscular diseases was thought to be a bad headache
                  Certain gastro intestinal diseases was thought to be bad fish
                  Certain birth defects was thought to be a punishment from God
                  Certain death was thought to be just poor health
                  Certain Memory loss was thought to be just old age
                  Certain sensory loss was thought to be flu-like symptoms

But the water was fine!

Yep in those days of really bad pesticides and poor emission control I'm sure the water supply was pristine...

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    yeah and back then:

Certain neuro muscular diseases was thought to be a bad headache
                    Certain gastro intestinal diseases was thought to be bad fish
                    Certain birth defects was thought to be a punishment from God
                    Certain death was thought to be just poor health
                    Certain Memory loss was thought to be just old age
                    Certain sensory loss was thought to be flu-like symptoms

ya mean, they are NOT!?

Comment

Chemtainer 966-5454 16-118 Liilii St. (Hilo) sells those plastic jobies that Craig is talking about.

Pacific Watertank Supply (Kona) sells the metal kind like mine 322-2222

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        it's not that big trees attract more rain, its more that rain makes for big trees. Trees are not good for catchment systems as the leaves fall onto the roofs and the decomposing leaves end up tainting your water like tea leaves.
                        Craig, if you study rainfall statistics from the sixties compared to today you will see a BIG change in rainfall. Big trees do effect rainfall in areas like west Hawaii where much of the rain is caused by thermal differences of the ocean and mountain.
                        "Forest loss can also make rainfall more erratic, thus lengthening dry periods."
                        forestsmonitor.org

I agree you don't want trees around your tank or gutters though. Aside from clogging up your catchment system it is a fire hazard. I was talking about deforestation effecting rainfall in surrounding acreage, not a few big trees around your house.

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Working...
                        X