Death Begins in the Okole!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Death Begins in the Okole!

I should't come off like I know whats right and wrong but just want to say be aware of where your ideas and perceptions come from about "Everything!"

Comment

fondoo, thanks for an interesting (but super long) article one of the unfortunate consequences of a society like ours where money is so highly valued is that people/institutions behave in ways to maximize profits, often at the expense of other considerations like impact on the environment, impact on individuals, long-term consequences, etc.

naturally, there are individuals who try to live balanced lives, who put people first and profits second, etc but our society as a whole strikes me as being pretty unhealthy. consequently, i'm always surprised when people are surprised at the many problems we face. why should it be surprising? many of our ills are natural and logical consequences of our warped view of what is good, what is desirable, what is hip, etc.

* people act surprised that big corporations would cook the books. really? why?
      * people act surprised that politicians (when convicted) could be bought. really? why?
      * people act surprised that companies would dump toxic materials into places they shouldn't. really? why?
      * people act surprised that pharmaceutical companies would sell stuff that could hurt people? really? why?

the list of course is very long but all of those behaviours are natural and logical consequences of a society that values money so highly (and i should quickly add that i don't believe money to be inherently evil before someone misunderstands me).

we can't change the world but at least we can choose to live differently, whether it makes a difference in society or not....
      Last edited by shaveice; August 26, 2005, 09:35 PM.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

APPLAUSE, Bravo Shavice! I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Back in the mid-1980s I lived in CA as a college student and had an on-campus job allowing me to do the clerical work for a Dr doing research to help HIV patients (although it was a large research team, he was HIV+). Remember, back then the drugs/treatments were still very experimental and the mortality rates were quite high. This Dr (who succumbed in 1989) was a firm believer in oxygenating the body with enemas of water/hydrogen peroxide (drugstore grade) blends.

Discussions such as these conjure up those memories...

pax

Comment

Working...
          X