No announcement yet.

Are we ready for our next hurricane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are we ready for our next hurricane?

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Miulang, are there any inormation about lowrise aprtments such as MWH being able ti sustain a hurricane condiitions? We have three scools located near us but I think our buildings looked more stable than their cafeterias. Oh, by the way, good morning.

Lynn
    Aunty u no need worry, u in one of da sayfa buildings in Kalihi, even KPT mo sayf den most of da homes in Kalihi. Ova haf da homes in the Kalihi ova 50 years old so dey no mo chance. Us Kalihi guyz goin jus have to hope and pray das all.

As for the new Building Codes you know how the Building inspectors are...just the same as the Liquor inspectors. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
      Aunty u no need worry, u in one of da sayfa buildings in Kalihi, even KPT mo sayf den most of da homes in Kalihi. Ova haf da homes in the Kalihi ova 50 years old so dey no mo chance. Us Kalihi guyz goin jus have to hope and pray das all.

As for the new Building Codes you know how the Building inspectors are...just the same as the Liquor inspectors. IMHO
      Wow! Das what everybody telling me too! I safe in my own hale. How you like dat? cheap rent. I'll put up with da Micro Dots...dey know how to cope with disasters too. they live off the land. I going be nicer. I going even turn my head when they sell cigarettes and fish now. Mayor Wrights Housing in Kalihi Rules! Nobody betta make fun again. As for Chinatown...one Hurricane going wipe um out, da rats, and druggies (including Mark)! Do I care? Nope!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Wow! Das what everybody telling me too! I safe in my own hale. How you like dat? cheap rent. I'll put up with da Micro Dots...dey know how to cope with disasters too. they live off the land. I going be nicer. I going even turn my head when they sell cigarettes and fish now. Mayor Wrights Housing in Kalihi Rules! Nobody betta make fun again. As for Chinatown...one Hurricane going wipe um out, da rats, and druggies (including Mark)! Do I care? Nope!
        Shhh! Tita! Don't tell too many people you have a house that's safe in a hurricane or you're going to find a lot of "best new friends" pounding on your door!

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Shhh! Tita! Don't tell too many people you have a house that's safe in a hurricane or you're going to find a lot of "best new friends" pounding on your door!

Miulang
          Only Adrian and certain hawaii threads members! LOL

BYOS(bring yoou own supplies) BYOF(bring your own food) toilet paper, medications too!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Shhh! Don't tell too many people you have a house that's safe in a hurricane or you're going to find a lot of "best new friends" pounding on your door!
            If I had a house that was safe during a hurricane and had a bunch of new best friends show up at my door, I would do my best to accomodate as many of them as possible. The more people out of harm's way, the better.

Maybe it's just one of the ways "we" Hawaii residents are unique...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              If I had a house that was safe during a hurricane and had a bunch of new best friends show up at my door, I would do my best to accomodate as many of them as possible. The more people out of harm's way, the better.

Maybe it's just one of the ways "we" Hawaii residents are unique...
              this HT feud is getting to be a bit sickining for me too! go play boxing some place else. palolo joe. us girls was just having fun. of course my hale would be open to anyone! ssssh!

aunty lynn

Comment

Well you are safe from flooding due to the rise of the ocean from the hurricane. You are get some damage to the building from flying debris but since the building is made of concrete it should survive the high winds.

Comment

Here's an interesting op-ed piece which appeared in today's Star Bulletin. It was written by John Toillion, who used to work for the Army's disaster preparedness department.

His contention is, despite Mayor Harry Kim's claims that the Civil Defense programs in Hawai'i are 100% ready for the next hurricane, they are in fact not. He cites the critical lack of adequate shelter, particularly on Oahu (already discussed previously), lack of media on call after hours to handle emergency announcements, and the unwillingness of local officials to make quick decisions as the weak links in the preparedness strategy for the State of Hawai'i.

Miulang
                  Last edited by helen; September 8, 2005, 12:28 PM. Reason: Correcting the URL
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The UH has just been awarded a $500,000 NSF grant to study how to best warn local residents of impending tsunamis. Apparently, only a small percentage of residents understand what the monthly siren tests are for.

"...Bruce Houghton, a volcanologist with the UH School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology, said those responsible for emergency management have "overrated" the public's preparedness and understanding of tsunamis.

"For example, during the tsunami that hit Hawai'i in 1960, researchers showed that only about 5 percent of those affected by the disaster in Hilo reacted appropriately to the official sirens used to alert the people although most connected the sirens to the idea that a tsunami was expected," Houghton said in a news release.

Public information about warnings has focused on supplying accurate information without considering how people interpret or use it, he said.

"It's scary, really, because there is a lot of assumption that we have the most successful system around," Houghton said. "But it has been so long since it has been really tested that we don't know what the public is going to do." ...

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                      The NBC is much futher inland than the convention center is and is away from the flood zone.

Sorry but the convention center wasn't even built during the time Iniki hit.
                      The NBC is at the same sea levelness as the rest of Ala Moana. It's all pretty much flat land from the concert hall to Ala Moana BLVD. A Class-3 hurricane would do significant flood damage to the area. Since with the UFO design of the arena, I'd think the buggah would take off like one with a direct hit from a hurricane. The Exhibition Hall has no provisions to ward off any floodwaters lapping at it's entrances so that area would be flooded as well.

Iniki was in 1992 wasn't it? Hmmmm I thought the CC was built then but even though, if a Hurricane did hit Oahu the Convention Center's facade would be a reduced to a pile of glass shards everywhere.

Anway the way buildings are being built in Honolulu there's a lot of glass windows that offer absolutely no protection from the impact of a major Hurricane like Katrina. How do you shutter all those glass panes from the likes of the Hawaiki or the FHB towers?

If the likes of Katrina were to hit Honolulu, where would you house thousands of people displaced under roof? I'm thinking the major parking garages in and around Downtown Honolulu and Waikiki.

We wouldn't have to worry about sustained flooding like New Orleans however Oahu Civil Defense did recommend at one time (I'm not sure if they still recommend it) that if you are in an inundation zone and in a high rise, it's best to stay put but go up above three-floors in the event of a tsunami. Now for a hurricane? Hmmm maybe some of the surviving WWII concrete reinforced bunkers located high above sea level in the Koolau's may be a good place to sit it out.

I'm still not sure where to go if a Class-3 or higher hurricane were to directly hit Oahu. The War Museum in Waikiki is a great place to be in when one hits but since it's at sea level I'm sure the waves would flood it out. Then there's the bunkers in Diamond Head but they're all locked up. I wouldn't stay in the Valleys as the wind would only intensify in those funnel like locations. The ridges are windy to begin with and probably even more dangerous during a hurricane.

Too bad the Alexander Young Building was torn down. That solid Granite building was listed as a Nuclear Fallout shelter.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If what Mufi said is true, that the communication system for Oahu that would be used in an emergency is in horrible repair and needs to be upgraded, does he really think the voters are in any mood to willingly part with more of their hard-earned money?Or maybe this is one of those "pay now or pay more later" deals.

"...A crumbling system of radio communication towers that will cost $25 million to repair heads a list of problems with Honolulu's outdated and poorly maintained emergency preparedness system, the mayor said yesterday.

O'ahu's emergency communications equipment — a critical link after any disaster — needs major repairs because it has been poorly maintained over the years, said Mayor Mufi Hannemann.

"These tower sites — and there are 24 of them — are so decrepit that high winds could topple them, seriously impairing emergency communications," he said.

Overall, Hannemann said, he thinks the city is ready to respond to an emergency but must remain vigilant in updating plans...."

Miulang

Comment

I wonder how much a civilian version of one of these mobile communication units (M2C2) which had some of its technology developed in Hawai'i would cost? If Honolulu could buy some of these, the County probably wouldn't have to spend the estimated $25 million it's going to cost to repair those radio towers that are in dire need of repair.

"...Officials unveiled the Mobile Modular Communications Center (M2C2) at Bellows Air Force Station. The Humvee is a field communications and command center.

It's equipped with radios, communication computers and satellite linkups. It does the same job it takes nine vehicles to do right now.

Since it's a one-stop shop, it can get to where it's needed, such as the region devastated by Hurricane Katrina, sooner than anything else out there right now.

"We could virtually get up, communicate, provide command and control in literally minutes to as short as an hour," Marines Sgt. Mark Clemmons said.

That's opposed to days.

What is more impressive is that it can do its job while moving. Other vehicles can't do that now..."

Miulang

Comment

It may cost more to fix the towers but in the long run it's the right thing to do since the towers can be used all the time without using people to operate it and in this case to drive it around. I am not against the idea of the city and county buying a couple of these vehicles for just in case. Right now they are earmarking the money to fix the towers while these vehicles are not available yet.

Comment

One thing about radio communications that our local government doesn't have to worry about is our amateur radio guys out there. They have their own network of operators and repeaters this is well organized and maintained and are always on the ready when it comes to support communications. Oahu Civil Defense works with these groups with simulations in the event the phone system shuts down due to some kind of natural disaster.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Remembering the lessons from 'Iniki

Kauai has endured more serious hurricanes than just about any other island in the 'aina. Hearing what they learned about their ability to survive is one good way to assess how ready each person anywhere in this country will be able to survive a natural disaster. One overwhelming conclusion is that if communications cannot be restored in a timely manner, it could result in mass chaos (as also seen in the Gulf States). The other sad conclusion is that each and every person has to be responsible for his/her own personal survival for at least 3-4 days before any government assistance might be available.

What I plan to do personally, besides having my own stash of survival gear and food and water is to also make sure everyone in my condo development (44 units) knows what they need to do in the aftermath of an earthquake (about the only natural disaster that we would be prone to). I'm taking on that responsibility because I'm a member of the association's Board of Directors. We have quite a few elderly people living in this building, and I worry that they might not be as prepared as the younger folks. I don't want to be another Michael Brown.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X