Who smokes here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who smokes here?

Have for almost 52 years and don't expect to stop until they put me in the coffin ... and even then, I might sit up and ask for one last smoke.

Comment

I don't and never will either. I see the sad results of long-term smoking in many of the patients who present for open heart surgery. They are much harder to ventilate and oxygenate when under anesthesia. Obviously they have more problems in recovery afterward too.

My mom was severely allergic to smoke, and I've picked up some of her allergies, not to mention that I detest the smell of cigarettes. We would have to leave restaurants, even when seated in non-smoking areas, if the areas weren't separated enough. I still remember quite vividly my mom's struggle to breathe and the loud wheezing.

I'm glad so many public places have restricted smoking (sorry, smokers, nothing personal), since smoke seems to carry into non-smoking areas very easily, plus the odors are so difficult to remove from clothes and hair.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
        I'm glad so many public places have restricted smoking (sorry, smokers, nothing personal), since smoke seems to carry into non-smoking areas very easily, plus the odors are so difficult to remove from clothes and hair.
        I wish more were nonsmoking.
        Go into the side street inn now and then and the whole place suddenly is filled with human chimneys.
        Without notice, you are ambushed by smoke, fumes, toxins, airborne carcinogens. I thot "da hell!? each one of these many rooms are smoking!"

Comment

I did in high school because it was the way to get in with the wrong crowd. How stupid is that? Then I did it in the USAF because only the people who smoked got to take breaks. How stupid is THAT?

I haven't smoked for 25 years, and only smoked for maybe all told four months of my life. I now have a neighbor who is banned to his garage to smoke, which he does at all hours of the day. I've lamented this here before: he smokes when I'm in the shower, in bed, etc. My bedroom and bath is pretty much right next to his garage. My asthma suffers tremendously as a result. Of course, he'll probably be one of those bastards who smoke until they are 98 and his smoke will kill ME.

I relentlessly picked on Jdub when we worked together but it never worked. I even tell him that he stinks, even his fingers and stuff. As I recalled, he'd take a finger, stick it up his nose, pick a winner and declare me WRONG. I can't remember if he then sucked it off or flicked it at me. We're still friends, LOL.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Jeez Looeez! Taaanx. right in da meedow of lunch.

that is this jdub here on HT?
            naaawww...
            lends new meaning to the image of the guitar player "a pickin and a grinnin"
            Last edited by kimo55; October 6, 2005, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              Jeez Looeez! Taaanx. right in da meedow of lunch.

that is this jdub here on HT?
              naaawww...
              lends new meaning to the image of the guitar player "a pickin and a grinnin"

The one and ONLY. Hope I didn't make you hurl your kaukau!!!

Hey, and if you're driving home Kalanianaiole Hwy today, toward Hanauma Bay, HPD's motorcycle patrol are popping drivers from Keahole to Lunalilo Home Road. I mean, there must be 8-10 of them!!! I saw them on my way to Costco. When I was at the light to turn right on Kal, I saw my friend Sophie pull up behind me in her new BMW Roadster. I got out, ran to her and told her. It was all I could do for my friend!!!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                smoking is bad for you, yes, but with all of the research going into the evils of tobacco, why can't someone figure out and market a way to quit cold turkey? i'd spend a year's worth of marlboro mediums for that product...
                There already is a way. Do what I did.

Get drunk one night, smoke WAY too many cigarettes (handrolled, not those weenie factory-made kind), feel that poison leeching out of your pores the next day, and just quit. Stop buying 'em, stop lighting 'em. Don't expect some magical "someone" to help you, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. Just stop.

If you need more incentive, make a deal with yourself that if you screw up and smoke one, you have to take a $10 bill out of your wallet, light it on fire and let it burn up. After all, what's the difference?

That'll be $200. Quite a discount -- you probably spend at least ten times that on smokes every year.

Paying someone to kill you ... I just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                  motorcycle patrol are popping drivers from Keahole to Lunalilo Home Road. I mean, there must be 8-10 of them!!!
                  what do ya mean popping drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    what do ya mean popping drivers?

Speeding tickets! Do you know anyone who does 35 on Kalanianaole Hwy ANYWHERE besides ME? Actually, I do more of a 40mph.
                    Once I turned left onto Lunalilo Home Road and right there is a solid line that I crossed before it ended. WHAM! $70 to the city. It would be an incredible tool for the city to raise funds to put a set of motorcycle cops right there. EVERYBODY crosses into the far lane upon that turn! (I used to, but not anymore!) Then again, I got POPPED by rookie cop!
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Speeding tickets! Do you know anyone who does 35 on Kalanianaole Hwy ANYWHERE besides ME?
                      oh. ok. ticketing peeps who uh.. "break the law".

No, I don't go over 35 on Kam hiway. I let eeevvvveeerrryyyone go past me. drive like a granny. I jezz like the old way of cruisin around like Hawaii was in the 60's before the mainlan... i mean, before it got so crowded.
                      I never cross solid lines. Nope. ....follow da law cuz got popped quite a while ago, and want to retain an impeccable record. In all my decades of driving; one moving violation. No, make that two. one for having brights on while an incoming car went past, (cop car) and... crossing a solid line; jumping the gun at a right turn, riding the shoulder for one car length before the lane lines opened up...

Comment

I relentlessly picked on Jdub when we worked together but it never worked. I even tell him that he stinks, even his fingers and stuff. As I recalled, he'd take a finger, stick it up his nose, pick a winner and declare me WRONG. I can't remember if he then sucked it off or flicked it at me. We're still friends, LOL.
                        yowza! lavagal, i've never flicked a booger at you (they're neatly collected on the underside of the boss' desk--hahahahaha)...i do recall you busting my chops about smoking, but olfactory excavation and disposal?...i suspect you're being cheeky...

i've got a new crib inside which i do not smoke, and now i'm working longer hours, so i've actually cut down without even trying...even when i play gigs, i get one smoke during breaks because everyone else in the band is sensitive to smoke...so i don't get to look "cool" with a smoke hanging from my lips as i tear into a rock-god guitar solo...

and for the rest: i certainly don't blame anyone but me for my filthy, nervous habit, or look to anyone else to get me to quit...now, if you don't mind, i'm going outside for a smoke...
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Try driving on the Big Island. It seems the shoulder is considered a passing, merge or exit lane by quite a few drivers here, and it's okay to turn left from the center lane regardless if there's a car in the left turn lane already.

Oh and the cops don't seem to mind if your Toyota Pickup truck has tires that extend beyond the wheel well's outer lip.

Oh smoking sorry let's get back OT. I don't smoke...anymore but when I did it was Camels Unfiltered, why?

A friend of mine and I were pondering why cigarette butts don't catch fire when tossed in a fire. It seems the filter tip has an all too familiar component in it's design...asbestos. Yep the same stuff used in brake linings, fire retardant suits, you know the flame resistant stuff?

well when you take in a huge drag off of one of these babies, some of these fibers go right into your lungs. I took an Asbestos awareness class once and the instructor there said all it takes is one asbestos fiber to start some kind of fibrosis (scarring) of the lungs which can lead to lung cancer. It may take years if not decades for the scarring to become cancerous, but just one is all it takes to start the process and there's a ton of em in them butts.

One thing I've always wondered though is Jdub's statement that there are smokers rights. Really? I've never seen them. I know there is a constitutional right to bear arms and such as well as constitutional protection barring from sexual, religious, race discrimination but I don't ever recall seeing any constitutional right to smoke a cigarette unless it comes under freedom of speech, but then you're not speaking, you're smoking. So if you gotta smoke...talk at the same time and then your constitutionally protected.

Freedom to choose? Yeah life or death but I don't think the forefathers meant for smoking to be one of those options.

So the next time your boss tells you to put out them smokes, tell him/her that smoking makes you feel more masculine or feminine and restricting you from smoking is sexual discrimination that is forbidden by your company's sexual harassassment policy, so BACK OFF MAN AND LET ME BE A WOMAN/MAN TONIGHT!!! Got a light?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Who smokes here? Not me.

It's so ironic when you see someone who's smoked mega-tar unfiltered Camels their entire life live well into their 90's.

Then someone who doesn't smoke or drink, abstains from fats and runs marathons die of a heart attack in their 40's. This happened to an Olympic runner not long ago.

Then again, the recent passing of Peter Jennings to lung cancer is a good example of why not to smoke. I think he was in his mid-60's.

Also, did Bob Marley die of lung cancer? I know he was very young. Like mid-30's. They say Marijuana (when smoked) has something like 3 times the tar level of the strongest Cigarette on the market.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                              A friend of mine and I were pondering why cigarette butts don't catch fire when tossed in a fire. It seems the filter tip has an all too familiar component in it's design...asbestos. Yep the same stuff used in brake linings, fire retardant suits, you know the flame resistant stuff?
                              I did a little googling and it looks like asbestos was only used in cigarette filters in one brand, Kent, and only for a few years in the 1950s. Most filters these days are made of an acetate plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                                Most filters these days are made of an acetate plastic.
                                Ah - a substance that is probably GOOD for your lungs; time for me to start smoking, eh?

(Anyone here remember the old Jules Feiffer comic about air pollution, and the promotional slogan, "Big Black Specks Are Good For You!"?)

Comment

Working...
                                X