The meek shall inherit the 'aina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The meek shall inherit the 'aina

It's ironic that we here in Hawai‘i are trying to get rid of coqui frogs, when on a global scale scientists are worried about a general decline in amphibian populations.

As for Kalawao, I heard that the state health department director is officially the mayor of the county.

Comment

Maybe we need to industrialize the Big Island to start a decline in amphibian species here?

One thing I noticed is that when the rains become heavy and our area becomes more wet for a longer period of time, the coquis migrate closer to our home. But when the dry season hits, man it's dead quiet out in them boonies at night.

The lot across the street from my home had a single coqui chirping every night. That is until last week when I heard a duet going on and oh man pretty soon it'll be a racket. I just hope we get a major drought to dry up them buggahs for a while. I'll pay for water haulers to bring in water if it means killing off those frogs for a season or two.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Can you say, "Stay on Topic?" Just kidding. It doesn't (no) matter to me. Interestingly, while residents of Hawaii have outwardly rejected the coqui frog, the people of the Caribbean have embraced it:
        http://welcome.topuertorico.org/coqui.shtml
        Is that because it has no natural predators here and is able to thrive as opposed to survive? Just curious. .. .
        Stephen

Comment

What does eat the coqui? Even in Puerto Rico where it's embraced, the shrill sound is so persuasive that I can't imagine that place having any natural predators either.

Like I said in my editorial many moons ago, it's tough enough to endure the racket from the Mynah birds in the banyan trees at sunset when they just chatter chatter chatter. But when evening falls and the birds quiet down, the shrill of hundreds of coqui replace the chatter of the Mynah birds and the racket goes on until sunrise when the Mynah birds take over again.

In other words, non-stop noise. We're not talking a few interesting chirping coqui, we're talking hundreds that can get so loud you can't hear your TV set in your living room! IT'S LOUD...imagine a squealling power steering belt on your car's engine and placing your ear about oh let's say 10-inches from the belt making all that noise. That's about the sound and intensity of the coqui, every friggin night!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            What does eat the coqui? Even in Puerto Rico where it's embraced, the shrill sound is so persuasive that I can't imagine that place having any natural predators either.
            http://www.wayland.k12.ma.us/claypit...s04/coqui.html
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
            X