Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Record-breaking rains

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Thanks for sharing those, but... it's been raining since February 19. And sadly, the quote above could read "There is death in the water from the clouds."
    Hey, we had almost 30 days of torrential downpours up here too, in January. But mercifully, most of the bad weather you guys have been enduring lately has been sent south of us by the Pineapple Express. If there can be any good that comes out of all this bad weather, it's that people need to be prepared and think about where they build and how they build and develop the land. Those "100 year" catastrophes seem to be happening almost on an annual basis now.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This is more of a global-warming comment, but hey, if the scientists are right then it's probably related anyway. Check this out -- somebody has placed a rising-sea-level layer on top of Google Maps. Here's a link to the map of Honolulu.

Comment

14 Meters? 42 feet of water? It would cover Pearlridge shopping center! Yikes! I'd need a boat to get down my hill!

About our current situation: I just got back from Safeway Waimalu. While I was there there was a huge boom and some lightning (maybe offshore). Driving back up the hill visibility was maybe 30 feet ahead. It's still thundering out here now, some 25 minutes later.
        Last edited by Linkmeister; March 30, 2006, 12:25 PM.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Check this out -- somebody has placed a rising-sea-level layer on top of Google Maps. Here's a link to the map of Honolulu.
          Cool link. Thanks! Looks like everything makai of H-1 will be submerged.

Still pouring here, thunder and lightning stopped about 10 minutes ago.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Hey, we had almost 30 days of torrential downpours up here too, in January.
            That's Seattle. Not Hawaii. Not Oahu. SEATTLE.

Comment

If you check the history of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, you find several hundreds of land owners who own absolutely nothing. No compensation, no land, no house, nothing. I advise ALL clients to buy the home ACROSS the street from the ocean.

Current rate of rise is about 1/5 of an inch per year. That's 1 inch every 5 years. But the rate is increasing rather rapidly. In 20 years the rate is predicted to be near 1/2 inch per year. In 50 years, some say 2 inches per year is likely. Recently, scientists have increased their predictions based on observations in Greenland and Antarctica.

Sea level in the last hundred years has risen about a foot.
              Sea level might rise another 20-30 feet in the next hundred years.

Imagine the Ala Moana Covered Boat Parking Facility. Cool.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                That's Seattle. Not Hawaii. Not Oahu. SEATTLE.
                Believe it or not, Palolo Joe, Chicago and Buffalo get MORE precip than Seattle does. We get the drips, not the deluges, usually.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The National Weather Service announced that in a couple of places, March 2006 has been the wettest month ever recorded in Hawaiʻi. Mount Waiʻaleʻale got 93.18 inches, breaking the old record of 90.07 inches (April 1971). And Līhuʻe Airport got 35.84 inches, breaking the old record of 22.91 inches (December 1968).

Comment

Dang it's cold right now. Had to put on socks, wrap a beach towel around my shoulders and make a cup of hot chocolate! Hopefully it'll stay this chilly, or get chillier, overnight. Makes for good sleeping weather.

Comment

i had to put a t-shirt on.
                      and turn off da a.c.

Comment

My feet are so cold I had to put on my duckie slippers.
                        And before you ask, yes they really are and yes I am and yes I do.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Holy cow. That was the biggest clap of thunder I've heard... hell, felt, in a long time. Downtown is just drenched... car alarms now squealing everywhere.
                          I was home when I heard that, did feel the sound wave made my chair twitch.

Comment

This rain tried to kill my Pikake Plant! Da bugga is tuff like me. Buds still hanging on! I got my socks, sweat shirt, and jeans on. Look like I ready to Beef somebody.

Who da guy? Who da guy?

On my Stove da Pig's Feet Soup w/ Mustard Cabbage is just about ready. Mmmm...can you smell it? Scratch and smell. There ya go. Imagine and visualize.

Auntie pUpuLe

btw: When will this frixken rain STOP? I got things to do!
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              [...]btw: When will this frixken rain STOP? I got things to do!
                              Could go on 'til Monday, according to the news...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                                Could go on 'til Monday, according to the news...
                                Das what Mufi get for evicting the Homeless from Ala Moana! Hala! God pist. He wen make Rain moa worse and let all the kAKAS go all ova the place near dea!

All because of one frixken Magic Island Celebration. Aiyah!

I telling you. Somebody needs Whack whacks big time!

Auntie Pupule
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X