Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global warming and the tradewinds

Originally posted by alohabear
    What makes you think the world's coming to an end? Remember in the 70's when they used to say that the Amazon was being destroyed at the rate of three football fields a day? Well ....BIG news! 30 years later, It's still here! You figure @ 3 football fields a day it would be gone by the 21st century.
    A football field is 360 feet by 160 feet = 57,600 square feet. Times three times a day, 365 days a year, for 30 years, makes 1,892,160,000 square feet, which is only 67 square miles.

Depending on who you ask, the Amazon is about 2.7 million square miles in area.

Sounds to me like those doomsday estimates were a little low.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      But Craig, why didn't the US ratify the Kyoto Protocol if we, as a supposed "leader" in the ecological battle were the only Big 6 country besides Australia that DIDN'T ratify it?

The current Administration would love to dismantle the conservation efforts in this country by selling off prime forestland in our National Parks to developers. They have already allowed strip mining and natural gas exploration in some of the most ecologically fragile areas of Montana and Colorado and Utah.

As a young nation, don't you think WE also were destroying our land, the same way as the 3rd world countries are doing today? We clearcut thousands of acres of forest so we could have our cities; we fenced in the prairie where the buffalo used to roam so we could have our freeways and suburbs.

We are not any better or worse than any other country, but I do believe we have the opportunity to preserve what little open space there is left in our country and to try to reverse some of the damage that we have done to OUR part of the world. Next to China, which is fast gaining on us, we use more fossil fuel than any other country in the world, and the burning of fossil fuel is tied to the thinning of the ozone layer which protects the earth from radiation. If we don't continue to be diligent in our efforts to save the Earth, why should we expect any other country to do it?

Miulang

P.S., Inouye voted for ANWR because he is in bed with the Alaska legislators ("you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"). We'll see if the pork that Dan inserted into the Iraqi/Katrina Bill survives if the pork that Stevens inserted on behalf of Alaska goes up in smoke.

I would imagine that agreeing to an international treaty would put too much burden on the US to comply because of our consumption. That burden would hurt our economy in ways I don't think we could recover. Is economy more important than the environment? It is if it's your economy that's gonna be affected.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        I would imagine that agreeing to an international treaty would put too much burden on the US to comply because of our consumption. That burden would hurt our economy in ways I don't think we could recover. Is economy more important than the environment? It is if it's your economy that's gonna be affected.
        Then I guess we shouldn't be complaining about countries who are aspiring to copy our economy and rates of consumption, then, no?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

actually we start wars in them so they can aspire to be like us

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
            actually we start wars in them so they can aspire to be like us
            I gotta admit we're such good role models to these other countries that want to be like us
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

On Good Morning America this morning, Scientists say we're hotter than we've ever been on Earth! Former Vice President Al Gore said, "Most of it is manmade. The earth has a fever due to manmade global warming!"

"Damages are taking place. Forest Fires, Dryer Temperatures, etc. Read the Book and see the Movie, "Is It to Late To Stop?"

He had MAMA sitting at the edge of her seat. We're gonna see the movie. Is it here yet?

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; June 23, 2006, 07:47 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                On Good Morning America this morning, Scientists say we're hotter than we've ever been on Earth! Former Vice President Al Gore said, "Most of it is manmade. The earth has a fever due to manmade global warming!"

"Damages are taking place. Forest Fires, Dryer Temperatures, etc. Read the Book and see the Movie, "Is It to Late To Stop?"

He had MAMA sitting at the edge of her seat. We're gonna see the movie. Is it here yet?
                It is, Aunty. An Inconvenient Truth is playing at the Varsity Theater right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  It is, Aunty. An Inconvenient Truth is playing at the Varsity Theater right now.
                  Mahalo Glen. I go tell MAMA. I tired watching Yobo Movies!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I agree that the Earth is warming up considerably and most of it is manmade. However we need to look at all events such as our own Kilauea Volcano spewing more sulphur and carbon dioxide into the air since it started it's very long eruption in 1983 than man has put out since the industrial revolution! And it's not just Kilauea...volcanoes have come to life all around the globe, look at Mt. Saint Helens that one single eruption caused so much disruption globally, the Earth still hasn't recovered fully from it.

I was watching the KHON evening news last night and it was reported that carbon dioxide levels have increased something like 160+% over the last hundred or so years. With stats like that it sounds very alarming. But hey let's look at my body: My body has increased in weight by over 2000% over the last 46 years. Alarming isn't it? But very normal (did I get that math right? )

What has happened over those 160+ years, yes we have increased our Co2 output dramatically but so has the Earth. As Humans we've been on this planet for a fraction of the time the Dinosaurs were roaming. With their large frames and with almost half of them vegetarians eating the rainforests at the time, for the millions of years they existed, the amount of Co2 emitted from them must have been huge! Look at what the environmentalists are saying about our cattle and their Co2 emissions.

Maybe global warming is the Earth's way of healing itself kinda like going into the defrost cycle and pandemic (there's that word again) events is the planet's antibodies to rid itself of the parasites it calls "Humans".

Our existance on this planet is like watching a bug fry in a bug light. Zap! Life over and the machine continues to glow for the next swarm of infestation.

We're not destroying the Earth, we are destroying ourselves. The Earth has been around wayyyy longer than us...even longer than the dinosaurs and they ruled the Earth for millions of years...how long have we ruled it? If we had to compare us to the dinosaurs, we'd still be crawling outta the womb while the dinosaurs are checking our pulse. And they survived until well someone cracked a homerun right into Earth and lights out for the dinosaurs.

I may be wrong but for as long as we've been on this planet and for as long as this planet's been around, I think the planet will win and we will lose no matter what we do for or against the Earth's environment.

Comment

Working...
                    X