X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Susie's Practical Preps

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
    Clothes don't really have to be changed, every day...ask the French, they wear the same clothes for three days in a row, and then just hang them up, for next time.
    whoooweee no wonder when I stopped in France the train depots smelled like a sewer!

That may work in a low humidity environment but here in Hawaii, you can't go a day without changing once or twice. It's worse when you work in an air conditioned office then have to go out repeatedly into our balmy weather, condense then go back into your office and chill down repeatedly.

Now here's a good water saving tip. When I run the hot water (to purge the standing cold water) I put a bucket underneath to catch the cooler water. That bucket is used to flush the toilet instead of using the tank.

When rinsing veggies or wash hands in a basin I put a small bucket under the tap for the toilet again.

One thing I don't do is to throw a towel into the hamper after only one use. My logic is that you are drying off a clean body right?

If I had to build a home, one thing I'd like to consider is to run all drains except for the kitchen disposal drain to a gray water tank. With a simple charcoal filteration, use that filtered gray water to flush your toilets.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      whoooweee no wonder when I stopped in France the train depots smelled like a sewer!
      Heh. Well, that's the French for you. They like that unwashed smell. Remember Napoleon Bonaparte's famous words in a letter to his wife Josephine, when he was out in the field on military maneuvers: Je reviens en trois jours, ne te laves pas. ("I return in three days; don't bathe.")

That may work in a low humidity environment but here in Hawaii, you can't go a day without changing once or twice.
      I wonder how often the ancient Hawaiians bathed, either in fresh water or in the ocean?

One thing I don't do is to throw a towel into the hamper after only one use. My logic is that you are drying off a clean body right?
      Yup. But even if your showered body is squeaky clean, if you leave the towel hanging there all damp then after a few days it will start to smell anyway due to the growth of mildew settling out of the air.

If I had to build a home, one thing I'd like to consider is to run all drains except for the kitchen disposal drain to a gray water tank. With a simple charcoal filteration, use that filtered gray water to flush your toilets.
      Graywater systems are a very good idea, from a water conservation standpoint. Pure water should only be used when you need pure water -- for drinking, for cooking, and for bathing. You can flush toilets and water your yard with graywater instead. The problem is, this requires a dramatic rethink of your house's plumbing -- you've got a lot more pipes because you're using two separate water supply systems, plus you need to put in that graywater tank, plus you probably need a pump somewhere in there to keep everything moving.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

I use towels for a few days, too. But keep in mind you're not just drying off a clean body -- you're also rubbing off dead skin cells, which end up on the towel!

ewww!

Comment

Wow...

Susie actually sent me a PM that makes me think that she is a *somewhat *normal person... and not so psychotic.... However I still think she's going overboard on this thread. (I could cut and paste it...but w/ all due respect she sent it to me in a PM fashion)

If she posts that to this thread...maybe... some of us will get off her case a little bit...or just put her on ignore....

I am pm'ing her back and telling her to post what she sent to me to this thread.

(And I Still will not stock up for 18 months or take seawater up my Okole!)

Manoa
          Last edited by damontucker; May 31, 2006, 07:16 PM. Reason: *somewhat normal...

Comment

Re: Toilet preps

Originally posted by helen
            The thing is SusieMisajon is not the only source of information, for instance the UN web site's for the World Health Organization (WHO) has entry for the Avian influenza. This link I thought was very interesting:

Ten things you need to know about pandemic influenza

The second point was that besides 1918, two other pandemics occured in 1957 and 1968. Differrent strains.

Which pandemic are you referring to?
            Da BEEG one...The Spanish Flu....of course, before that, there was the Great Plague, and all the 'little' plagues, too.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seawater enemas are a very bad idea. If you force seawater into your body, then osmosis will try to equalize the salinity levels across that thin membrane between your seawater-filled colon and your blood-filled body by moving water from the low-salinity side to the high-salinity side. The salinity of human blood is about 9 parts per thousand, and the salinity of seawater is about 35 parts per thousand. So pumping seawater into your ass would pull water out of your body, the exact opposite of what Susie thinks it would do.

Beer and wine enemas are no good, either. And don't even think about vodka. That could be lethal.

Comment

Okay, okay....it might seem to you guys that I'm going off the deep end, or lolo, or pretty strange, or maybe walking around with a sandwich board, marked, "The END is Nigh! PREP!", written on it....sigh.

But try looking at it from another angle. Imagine that this kind of thing could really happen. It did, it has, before...several times before. And that's just the being sick part....I've not even begun speaking about the 'social disruption' stuff, which might cause more 'collateral damage' than the actual pandemic event.

Don't say it can't happen...you folks, still living in the Aina have seen hurricanes, and so have the people in Louisiana....but NOBODY imagined the 'social disruption' of Katrina, and that happened...practically on national TV, too! (international, even...even me, with no TV, saw some of that).

Imagine Katrina with added pandemic, and without the (eventual) help of the authorities. What 'authorities' would there be, in a bad pandemic situation? Would YOU go to work? If there's one thing to be learned, from all this Katrina stuff, it's that you can't always count on 'them' helping you. 'They' have already said that you'll be on your own, during a pandemi, anyway...there'll be no FEMA tuna and dry milk vans, in your neighborhood, when the pandemic hits.

I'm not an expert, in anything. I'm just a Mom, with keiki's that depend on me. I have a brain (okay, it works overtime, on this one), I read, and I think about things. The internet is great for information and opinions. And it seems to me, that 'they' (the powers that be) are making noises...telling us, ever so gently, so as to not freak us out, and disrupt the Economy...maybe it's a CYA thing, so if something does happen, they'll be able to sat 'we told you so', maybe it's a real fear, just like the UN's WHO is afraid of...I dunno which.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                  This thread has just crossed over the line into the absurd.
                  Hahaha! I freaked, the first time a French doctor gave me suppositories. I refused, balked, clenched my buttocks, and just said 'NON!'.

(don't forget your turkey-baster, or next time you go sailing or fishing)

Comment

I'm not an expert, in anything. I'm just a Mom, with keiki's that depend on me. I have a brain (okay, it works overtime, on this one), I read, and I think about things. The internet is great for information and opinions. And it seems to me, that 'they' (the powers that be) are making noises...telling us, ever so gently, so as to not freak us out, and disrupt the Economy...maybe it's a CYA thing, so if something does happen, they'll be able to sat 'we told you so', maybe it's a real fear, just like the UN's WHO is afraid of...I dunno which.
                    I think you been French "Fried"

j/k

If you bring your posts to a more personal level as this previous post is... I think you will get a more positive reaction.

Comment

Ummm...just a re-cap, here...

The French trainstations smell bad, because the French men will go shishi anywhere, and do, including on a train platform. (and so do their dogs) And the toilets inside the train specifically say, "Don't flush, while at the station", because he stuff just goes right out, onto the tracks...my kids LOVE to flush, when the train is moving, and see the tracks zipping by.

The salt-water-up-the arse comes from the CurEvents.com board...they have many excellent threads on how to take care of yourself, during a pandemic...in fact, they have a whole flu section, including how to manage to stock up on meds. If you go, beware.

Hawaii's humidity factor wouldn't be much fun, in any 'social distancing', or chaotic, waterless time. Of course, if you are stuck inside, and nobody's gonna see you, anyway...why bother with clothes, in the first place?

Even if the pandemic doesn't pan out (haha..joke play on words), the preps can still be used. My preps are just a bigger stock of the stuff that I'd usually have.....well, except for the powdered eggs, and the big stock of 'kitty' antibiotics, and the water tank. The wind-up flashlights (from Ryan, at rotoglo.com ) are something I would've bought for the kids, anyways. And I'd always wanted a dehydrator.

And, as the pig flu, of the seventies did, if it's just a 'baby pandemic'...it's still gonna impact the tourism industry. So you could use the stuff, when you've lost your job, during a poverty pandemic. Nothing goes to waste.

Comment

Ummm...just a re-cap, here...

The French trainstations smell bad, because the French men will go shishi anywhere, and do, including on a train platform. (and so do their dogs) And the toilets inside the train specifically say, "Don't flush, while at the station", because he stuff just goes right out, onto the tracks...my kids LOVE to flush, when the train is moving, and see the tracks zipping by.

The salt-water-up-the arse comes from the CurEvents.com board...they have many excellent threads on how to take care of yourself, during a pandemic...in fact, they have a whole flu section, including how to manage to stock up on meds. If you go, beware.

Hawaii's humidity factor wouldn't be much fun, in any 'social distancing', or chaotic, waterless time. Of course, if you are stuck inside, and nobody's gonna see you, anyway...why bother with clothes, in the first place?

Even if the pandemic doesn't pan out (haha..joke play on words), the preps can still be used. My preps are just a bigger stock of the stuff that I'd usually have.....well, except for the powdered eggs, and the big stock of 'kitty' antibiotics, and the water tank. The wind-up flashlights (from Ryan, at rotoglo.com ) are something I would've bought for the kids, anyways. And I'd always wanted a dehydrator.

And, as the pig flu, of the seventies did, if it's just a 'baby pandemic'...it's still gonna impact the tourism industry. So you could use the stuff, when you've lost your job, during a poverty pandemic. Nothing goes to waste.
                        Is this re-cap your closing?

Comment

Okay, okay....it might seem to you guys that I'm going off the deep end, or lolo, or pretty strange, or maybe walking around with a sandwich board, marked, "The END is Nigh! PREP!", written on it....sigh.
                          I think your concern about prepareing for a pandemic and the ramafications of a social distance on the order of 18 months is really mis-placed. Telling people who live on the other side of the world from you to stock up on supplies doesn't gain you anything at all.

What you should be doing is organizing other families around you to stock up on supplies and this will gain you three things, (1) The more stuff a group has, the least likey they will try to take away stuff from you and other groups. (2) You can always trade between groups, what you need, others may have in excess and what you have in excess others might need. (3) The concept of backups and reduncey, if not with supplies, maybe equipment that gets broken beyond repair.

Imagine Katrina with added pandemic, and without the (eventual) help of the authorities. What 'authorities' would there be, in a bad pandemic situation? Would YOU go to work? If there's one thing to be learned, from all this Katrina stuff, it's that you can't always count on 'them' helping you. 'They' have already said that you'll be on your own, during a pandemi, anyway...there'll be no FEMA tuna and dry milk vans, in your neighborhood, when the pandemic hits.
                          What is about Katrina that has you concerned? The flooding? The phyiscal damage to the city duing the hurricane? Police officers leaving their posts during the storm? National Guard coming in late? Problems with people leaving the city before the storm hit?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            Is this re-cap your closing?
                            You think that you're are gonna get rid of me this easily? Nope, I'm sticking around.

I just don't know how to do the bit, that brings in all the quotes, or parts of quotes, in a reply.

Comment

You think that you're are gonna get rid of me this easily? Nope, I'm sticking around.

I just don't know how to do the bit, that brings in all the quotes, or parts of quotes, in a reply.
                              susie... I enjoy playing with u!

However... don't you guys sleep in France? what time is it there... you seem to be losing more sleep over this then anything.... get some sleep already... maybe you'll quit stressing!

Comment

France is somewhere between 10 to 11 hours, maybe 12 hours ahead of us. So while it's 9:30 pm here in Hawaii, it's any where from 7:30 am to 9:30 am there.

Comment

Working...
                                X