Any Gout suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Gout suggestions?

Mine is in the right ankle. I thought I twisted my foot but I did not remember falling or twisting it. Luckily I had to fix a computer at a doctors house!

Comment

Longtime lurker here, first time poster-

For me, there was a pattern. Some seafood and things like beef jerky caused it to flare up.

I used to do cherry juice to handle the occassional flare ups. Unfortunately, you have to live through some pain until it kicks in.

My doctor gave me meds to take when it flares up. Same problem. Unless you get very good at noticing the warning signs of a flareup, you have live thorough some pain until the meds kick in.

My doctor then put me on a daily medication and I never have had a problem since.

gchun

Comment

Originally posted by gchun
        Longtime lurker here, first time poster
        Hey, gchun, whatever it took to get you to come out and play, I'm glad for it. Wouldn't have guessed it'd be a gout discussion, of course. Maybe I should start a separate thread on shingles.

No, I'm kidding, I won't. Eep.

In any case, welcome... be sure to introduce yourself officially!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Hey, gchun, whatever it took to get you to come out and play, I'm glad for it. Wouldn't have guessed it'd be a gout discussion, of course. Maybe I should start a separate thread on shingles.

No, I'm kidding, I won't. Eep.

In any case, welcome... be sure to introduce yourself officially!
          Why stop with shingles? Pink-eye! Chicken pox! (I can show you my scars!)
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            you like me get graphic, doncha?

pax

Comment

I too control Gout with medication. On the upside, instead of gout you could have developed kidney stones(one cause is high uric acid levels) which I heard is way more painful than Gout.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Gout better known as the Rich man's disease but in your case Speedtek...pending rich man's disease

BTW call me we need to talk. My friend has been bugging me on that RDRAM and Brenda wants me to buy her another laptop and right now I need to readjust my budget for an account receivable that is still pending ...any laptops in your inventory for barter?
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

cherry juice worked for me as well.... I also had gout in my left ankle... an the doc said it was an unusual spot but it happens. I notice now that if the knuckles in my hands start hurting I go get some cherry juice an it goes away in a few days as well
                  Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                    I have been stabbed, hit in the side of the head with a 2X4, had my ear almost ripped off, broken ribs, seperated a shoulder, broke three fingers, and sprained an ankle so bad that it required surgery.
                    Man, I knew basic training could be tough, but...
                    Originally posted by nachodaddy
                    For anyone who wants to bring up child birth, I surrender in advance.
                    One time when I was hospitalized with kidney stones, a woman in the ER said she had had kidney stones, and had also experienced childbirth - she said the kidney stones were worse.
                    But I've seen the effects of gout on the AF's father (can't recall which foot), and it seems mighty, mighty harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      Man, I knew basic training could be tough, but...
                      Most of that was before I was 20. I still have a floating rib from all of that.....

The "ear" is a nuther story. A life defining moment. Can't adequately describe it fully without using my hands a lot and drawing it up on a napkin.
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                        C-section scar? Missing tooth that the sheep knocked out (I got revenge, I ate the sheep)?
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

had to look this thread up again as i woke up with pain on outer right foot...and realized it was gout when i screamed in pain when i tried to walk downstairs for a drink of water. debating if i should do a safeway run for cherry juice... waiting for meds to kick in at the moment.

Comment

I drink plenty of water to prevent, along with the Allopurinol. Yeah, have to go bathroom a few more times, but I feel better always being hydrated anyway. Also have learned to like apple juice and cranberry juice, which I never drank before. Can always trace back what I had to eat in the days leading up to an attack. Sometimes I still don't learn! Attacks have alternated between either foot, toe, or ankle. Never had on both sides until earlier this year, in my left foot AND right knee at the same time. Making matters worse was this attack occured while I was on a business trip. On the day coming back home, I had to painfully drag myself out of the hotel and through the airport.

Comment

Watch that allopurinol stuff. It almost gave me a nice ulcer. Had to change my diet so I could get off the stuff. Lucky for me my gout is only caused by certain shellfish high in purines. Watch out for oily fish, they could cause flare ups too. Had a friend that got it from eating aku and opelu. Too bad for him, more for me.
                              You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Just found this forum today and happened to notice this thread. Made me join the site just so i could give my $.02

I read through all the posts and agree with everyone... including the accupressure one. My father and I both get gout attacks. My father worse than me. He is on Allopurinol and I am on Allopurinol and Colchicine. Indomethacine didn't work for me. From what i've been able to find out. The cranberry/cherry juice thing is a combination of flushing out the system to an extent and mental. One thing that stood out to me is that no one mentioned beans/nuts on their no no list. They are gout triggers. I found that even soy milk has given me gout attacks.

On a side/related note. I have psoriasis (a skin disorder) and am on Enbrel for it. Enbrel was a drug created for Rheumatoid arthritis which side effects they found help psoriasis so the FDA approved it as a medicine for Psoriasis as well as RA. Since I've been taking the Enbrel, I've had ZERO gout attacks. I don't know how much of a direct correlation it is, but gout IS a form of arthritis to an extent.
                                -kp!

Comment

Working...
                                X