Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: when the bugs bite

Originally posted by alohatim

You know those funny-looking wasps that build the mud nests? They don't sting, do they?
    I think all wasps sting, don't they? Isn't having a stinger part of the description of what a wasp is?

Was funny — a couple of days ago I walked out onto my lanai and the vibration of the door closing knocked one of those mud nests down. It just missed me and exploded into fragments at my feet. I froze, fearing the worst, but nothing happened. I think it might have been an abandoned nest.

Originally posted by alohatim
    I just read that other thread about stomping vs grinding bugs. I grind--but I don't think I am evil. I think you ought to grind a centipede--otherwise it will just crawl away (and laugh at you!). They are arthropods not bugs, though.
    Sometimes I grind, because it seems more "humane" to make sure the bug is dead, rather than just wounded and suffering.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Comment

You are right, Maddie-- they can sting! I am glad I didn't test that. Apparently, the mud wasps are very unlikely to sting you but they can--if mishandled.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        I am sincerely sorry that I have nothing to contribute to relieve your suffering, but I did need to say "thank you" for not including any photos relevant to your posting. *shudder!*
        Guy getting bitten by his pet centipede (whole thread, starting from pg. 3 can be found here if you want to see more crazy people actually touching these things). He not only shows the actual pede biting him, but also the bite afterward.

On a side note, I've noticed a great rise in the pede population appearing in our house this week. Granted, we have a pede farm behind our house (in the form of a bushy, foresty area), but instead of being a reddish orange color that I'm used to seeing, they're blue. I even accidently stepped on one during the day while fetching the cat's food...only reason I saw it was I felt one of it's legs flip up onto my flipflop and touch my pinky toe. Then lastnight, I saw some action on my desk out of the corner of my eye and it was a large pede ON MY DESK and it was flopping around on my envelopes and eventually fell off and onto the ground. ugh. I saw another one 20 mins later in the hallway...

About the wasps: as a child, I was riding my bike and I saw a bug coming at me, so I put my hand out to swat it out of the way. Well, instead of getting out of my way, it flew in my shirt. I got back to my friend's house and was watching tv and I kept feeling this poking sting my side, back and belly. I couldn't figure it out, but I kept pinching and scratching the area. Finally, it started crawling out of the top my shirt and that's when I realized what the stinging was. I started screaming and ran out of the house and started ripping off my shirt and my friend's grandma started to freak when she starting counting the number of times I had been stung: 23.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040
          Guy getting bitten by his pet centipede (whole thread, starting from pg. 3 can be found here if you want to see more crazy people actually touching these things). He not only shows the actual pede biting him, but also the bite afterward. [...]
          It's heebie jeebie time! <shudder>

Comment

Tremendous swarm of bugs crawls across the Outback (yahoo.com)

This looks like a scene from the B-movie "Bugs."

Comment

US health officials brace for mosquito-borne virus that can cause paralysis and death as temperatures rise (yahoo.com)

These mosquito bites can kill.

Comment

pure vanilla extract deters mosquitoes and gnats. Mix 1 to 1 vanilla extract with water, apply to skin with a swab or spray. smell yummy!
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                X