Beware the biting gecko!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware the biting gecko!

A new, very aggressive species of biting gecko has been identified as invading neighborhoods on Oahu. The tokay gecko, whose original habitat is in Asia, has been spotted in Manoa, Kaneohe and Makiki. It's said to have a mating call as bad as that of the coqui frog and can inflict a very painful (though harmless) bite. It's much larger than the beloved Hawaiian gecko, has no local predators and could potentially damage endemic bird populations, so unless people help control the species now, it could eventually spread throughout Oahu and to the Neighbor Islands.

For more information and to report sightings (or if you hear them) of the tokay gecko, call 643-PEST or go to the Hawaii Ecosystems At Risk website for more information at http://www.hear.org/oisc/oisc_target...ekko_gecko.htm,

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Beware the biting gecko!

great, a friggin' mini-gator roaming O'ahu...

pax

Comment

Well, at least there's no mistaking them for the kind we let run amock in the house.

Comment

Another alien gecko species found in Manoa

There's another large, highly aggressive gecko that the DoA is asking Honolulu residents to be on the lookout for: the Madagascar Giant Day gecko. So far, the only established colony has been found in the East Manoa area, but the DoA is trying to contain the infestation because of the damage these geckos can do to native birds and insects. These geckos (with orange spots on the sides of their heads) look like the gecko seen in an insurance commercial.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Another alien gecko species found in Manoa

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          There's another large, highly aggressive gecko that the DoA is asking Honolulu residents to be on the lookout for: the Madagascar Giant Day gecko. Miulang
          That Madagascar Giant Day gecko looks a lot like the green anole. I used to see a lot of anoles several years ago, but I haven't seen many of them recently. They also can grow quite large. I once saw one (an anole) almost a foot long at Foster Botanical Garden. The only difference between an anole and the Madagascar, at least to my eyes, seems to be the orange spot near the eyes of the Madagascar.

Comment

Re: Another alien gecko species found in Manoa

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            That Madagascar Giant Day gecko looks a lot like the green anole. I used to see a lot of anoles several years ago, but I haven't seen many of them recently. They also can grow quite large. I once saw one (an anole) almost a foot long at Foster Botanical Garden. The only difference between an anole and the Madagascar, at least to my eyes, seems to be the orange spot near the eyes of the Madagascar.
            We got lots of those "chameleons" around our house in the gardens. My wife calls them our little dinosaurs. Anoles... so that's what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              A new, very aggressive species of biting gecko has been identified as invading neighborhoods on Oahu. /snip[/url],

Miulang
              Ack! A friend of mine was just saying that she saw a weird gecko with orange spots. I better warn her that they may bite

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                Ack! A friend of mine was just saying that she saw a weird gecko with orange spots. I better warn her that they may bite
                More importantly, tell her to call the Dept of Agriculture and report the sighting. It's extremely important to stop this critter from spreading throughout Oahu, because its next destination could very well be on one of the Neighbor Islands, where it doesn't currently live.

Miulang

Comment

Dozens of sightings reported as massive lizards invade South Carolina, officials say (hawaiinewsnow.com)

Bumbucha gecko.

Comment

Working...
                  X