Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand held UV disinfection scanner

I saw this and was totally amazed: UV disinfection scanner

Think of all the places you could use this: public bathrooms, shopping cart hand grips, telephone handsets. Anyplace you'd use Lysol to disinfect, you can use this electronic UV scanner instead. Kills 99.9% of bacterial and viral DNA with a 10-second scan. And it operates on 2-AAA batteries!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: hand held UV disinfection scanner

sixty bucks for that??!! i prefer the low-tech technique of washing hands often with soap and water for as long as it takes to say the pledge of allegiance, and making sure not to touch my mouth, eyes, or nose after touching any "questionable" surfaces.

that disinfection scanner ranks right up there, for me, as a toothbrush sanitizer.

*mumbles about pouring listerine into a cup and letting toofbrush soak for a couple minutes...voila...sanitized toofbrush. or, just change the dang brush every few months or after you're sick...sheeeeeeeesh!*

boy, sometimes you would think i was the crotchety, anti-new-fangled-gizmomabobber geezer, wouldn't you?
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

sounds fantastic but a bit hard to believe. i wonder why this product hasn't made a big splash in the media?
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

you can scan a public toilet seat with that thing all you want, but im still going to wipe the toilet seat.

i bet you could use it to detect funny money too. and light up velvet paintings.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I called "Honey, Honey look at this!" I told PK.

"What...a can of Lysol and down on your knees scrubbing with Ajax is better!" He answered in da back of me!

So cruel early in da morning...he still neba forgive me from looking at the Craig's link (wooooo) last night!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

no side effects?! The ad doesn't say what wavelength it is emitting. But regardless, knowing what I do about UV, I'd rather take my chances on going in the sun without sunscreen. Should have the same effect. And if they're using UV-B, I'd rather have an X-ray.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
              The ad doesn't say what wavelength it is emitting.
              It's UV-C: "Using the same 253.7nm wavelength ultraviolet radiation that hospitals and water treatment plants use as a germicide"

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                It's UV-C: "Using the same 253.7nm wavelength ultraviolet radiation that hospitals and water treatment plants use as a germicide"
                Well, that doesn't ease my concerns any. 253.7 nm is way down there on the spectrum. The UV rays everyone is so concerned with are in the 400 - 350 nm range. Anything lower cannot get through our atmosphere. UV light that is 200 nm cannot penetrate through the air. Electro-magnetic exposure is cumulative (as in X-rays) so if one continiously uses a device like that on a regular basis........ not to mention that if the device is killing the DNA of the organisms, what is it doing to skin cells and tissue?

Comment

I do want to point out though that I'd rather be exposed to the UV rays than ultra-sound. The same wavelengths they use for unborn babies are being used in research to make weapons and produce cold fusion.

Comment

Well, that doesn't ease my concerns any. 253.7 nm is way down there on the spectrum. The UV rays everyone is so concerned with are in the 400 - 350 nm range. Anything lower cannot get through our atmosphere. UV light that is 200 nm cannot penetrate through the air. Electro-magnetic exposure is cumulative (as in X-rays) so if one continiously uses a device like that on a regular basis........ not to mention that if the device is killing the DNA of the organisms, what is it doing to skin cells and tissue?
                    Ummm...you don't point it at your own skin. You use it on inanimate objects, like a telephone or a keyboard. It is designed to kill the bacteria on those objects. After you turn it off, it's not as if there's UV radiation "lingering" on the object when you then touch it.

To borrow a more detailed explanation from a patent document:
                    Generally, UV light, and in particular, UV-C light is "germicidal," i.e., it deactivates the DNA of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens and thus destroys their ability to multiply and cause disease, effectively resulting in sterilization of the microorganisms. Specifically, UV "C" light causes damage to the nucleic acid of microorganisms by forming covalent bonds between certain adjacent bases in the DNA. The formation of these bonds prevents the DNA from being "unzipped" for replication, and the organism is unable to reproduce. In fact, when the organism tries to replicate, it dies. UV light with a wavelength of approximately between about 250 to about 260 nm provides the highest germicidal effectiveness. While susceptibility to UV light varies, exposure to UV energy for about 20 milliwatt-seconds/cm.sup.2 is adequate to deactivate 99 percent of the pathogens.
                    253.7 nanometers is the industry standard for germicidal sterilization in the medical profession. It has been used safely for over 50 years - but I don't know what else you would like to know. You might find something helpful here.

Comment

ummm well I thought it was a great idea. Can't carry a can of Lysol onto a plane and this wand directs UV light at the object being scanned, not in all directions. You can disinfect without the need of a paper towel or aerosol. It's dry and you don't come in contact with the surface while disinfecting.

I'm interested in it because how many of us have little children who have a hard time (if not never) using those sanitary toilet seat liners when they go into a public bathroom. This is quick and offers a better solution to just using the paper rings alone.

If we're all concerned about errant UV radiation, we need to stop using Halogen bulbs in our cars, outdoor lighting, retail display and home lighting as these bulbs emit UV radiation as well. Oh and that includes projection TV sets as well.

I see the practical purpose for them and since most disinfecting wipes you can buy cannot be flushed down the toilet as they don't break down like toilet paper.

Comment

i think we should add that this product would be dangerous if left around curious and unsupervised infants...
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                          i think we should add that this product would be dangerous if left around curious and unsupervised infants...
                          I don't think any infant should be unsupervised for any reason.

Comment

[quote=Leo Lakio;146415]Ummm...you don't point it at your own skin. You use it on inanimate objects, like a telephone or a keyboard.

Ummmm.... guess that's me being slightly ADD - didn't look close enough

Comment

Ummmm.... guess that's me being slightly ADD - didn't look close enough
                              "Do not stare into laser with remaining eye."

Comment

Working...
                              X