Hurricane Flossie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

took a long family cruise around east HI today (we are notorious rubbah-neckahs) and didn't see squat. Just looks like regular rainy muggy Puna/Hilo weather, but without the nice breeze. Bayfront was glassy, but looking up Hamakua the surf was crashing. Honolii was beautiful w/ only a few in the water (no waves; all the surfers were up roadside).

Talked to my bff in Waikoloa and she said it was windy and otherwise normal.

pax

Comment

We just got back from Ken's and it was as calm as could be.Just a little flooding in the parking lot, but barely and rain, and NO wind.

I keep hearing on the radio about "later today" but right now, like you said...another Hilo style muggy drizzle-y day.

Almost everyone is closed tho' No Starbux this morning
      They were taping the windows when I went there.

Everyone just seems to be waiting it out.

Let's hope it doesn't get bad. Having an earthquake here was bad enough !
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

The JTWC latest ship avoidance graphic brings the closest point of approach to Pearl Harbor at 141 nm, this morning it was 168 nm. That is a significant shift.

Comment

OK, so where's the frikken hurricane ?

It's dead as a doornail here in Hilo at 2:00 pm
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Ben might've read this post of mine from two hours ago.
            Yeah... okay. Whatever.

Comment

Right here....

http://weather.hawaii.edu/satellite/...satplat=goes10

clearly shows an eye in the thing, again.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

• Re: Storm Systems

Adding in the 2pm advisory (25A).

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; latitude longitude of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
                08/13 2 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
                08/13 5 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
                08/13 8 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
                08/13 11 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE
                08/14 2 am; #23A; 16.6N 153.5W; 240 miles SSE; 440 miles SE
                08/14 5 am; #24; 16.9N 154.1W; 205 miles SSE; 390 miles SE
                08/14 8 am; #24A; 17.0N 154.4W; 190 miles SSE; 370 miles SE
                08/14 11 am; #25; 17.3N 154.9W; 165 miles S; 340 miles SE
                08/14 2pm; #25A; 17.4N 155.2W; 160 miles S; 320 miles SE

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  well I guess if they point the nose of the aircraft towards the wind and keep the flaps down that should help.
                  But what if the airplane is on a giant conveyor belt, going the opposite direction, at the same speed as the winds?

Or is that a different thread?

Comment

• National coverage of Hurricane Flossie: Saimin

Associated Press Writer AUDREY McAVOY included this interesting tidbit of information in her article posted at Yahoo News:

At Kamigaki Market in Kealakekua, supervisor Sheryl Tremaine said Tuesday, "People are definitely buying more batteries, canned goods, saimin and, believe it or not, beer and cigarettes." Saimin is a traditional Hawaiian noodle soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      But what if the airplane is on a giant conveyor belt, going the opposite direction, at the same speed as the winds?

Or is that a different thread?
                      You HAD to bring that up didn't ya... But in this scenerio the plane would never take off ONLY because of the flaps down indication...so there arguement settled
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

• Re: National coverage of Hurricane Flossie: Saimin

Originally posted by lilin View Post
                        At Kamigaki Market in Kealakekua, supervisor Sheryl Tremaine said Tuesday, "People are definitely buying more batteries, canned goods, saimin and, believe it or not, beer and cigarettes." Saimin is a traditional Hawaiian noodle soup.
                        And beer and cigarettes are a traditional Hawaiian dessert!
                        Well, beer is, anyway.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Well you gotta figure it this way, if Flossie's gonna f*ck up everything you may as well get f*cked up as well. That way who the heck cares?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            Well you gotta figure it this way, if Flossie's gonna f*ck up everything you may as well get f*cked up as well. That way who the heck cares?
                            My emergency kit includes plenty of 12-volt batteries, plus solar- and wind-powered 12-volt chargers.
                            Gotta have 'em to run the 12-volt blender for the margaritas!

Last edited by LikaNui; August 14, 2007, 03:41 PM. Reason: added link to $151 twelve-volt blender!

Comment

After just looking at all the various radar and satellite images, it seems that Flossie's forward motion has slowed down even more and it's almost at a standstill. Not a good development.
                              Also, go to this link and scroll about halfway down, to the graphic titled "In Close Sea Surface Temperature Analysis." Note that Flossie's predicted path takes her back into slightly warmer water just past South Point. Also not a good development.
                              Last edited by LikaNui; August 14, 2007, 03:38 PM. Reason: Added link to sea temp graphic.

Comment

Just to add to the not so good point. The tradewinds being blocked by Mauna Loa/Manua Kea.

Comment

Working...
                                X