Who actually owns a waterbed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who actually owns a waterbed?

Not waterbeds, no, so I'd love to continue that thread...

Turns out there are assorted "waterbed" listings on the Honolulu Craigslist site. But here's a blast from the past. A 1998 feature on waterbeds in the Star-Bulletin -- that's almost a decade ago.
    Waterbeds became accepted by the mainstream and are rippling away in an estimated 35 million U.S. homes. Sales have steadied, after a high in the mid-'80s, at something like 2 million a year. They're standard equipment in rehabilitation centers and burn units, and also in the rear cabs of long-haul trucks, because, no matter what angle the truck is parked, the bed is self-leveling, thanks to gravity." The new waterbeds have headboards and adjustable surface tension, water temperature and wave action. They're also likely to come in a modular design called "tubes," in which long narrow mini-waterbeds are laid side by side like squeezes of toothpaste. Add a few more tubes, and your single bed becomes a queen or a king-size.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      A 1998 feature on waterbeds in the Star-Bulletin
      The new waterbeds have headboards
      That was a "new" feature in 1998? Hardly. Both of mine had/have headboards (since the late 1970s).

Comment

I've slept on a water bed since I moved out of the dorms at college.

It is soooooooo comfortable. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
          yes. the bag woulda broke.
          You know I was just messing around.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
            You know I was just messing around.
            of course!
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Yes, I actually still own a waterbed. No, not the ones with a huge bladder,though I do miss the california King Sized one we bought at Sears in the eighties.

We were a family in the San Jose, CA area of which all four of us slept on waterbeds, each young daughter on their own twin sized in their own rooms, and hubby and I on our king sized one. We got rid of the big bladder when we bought for the girls and what we got them was not one, big bladder but the
              "Somma" brand water beds with several tubes of water in them, each individually sealed so that if one did get a leak there was no flood of water...just a very slow drip which first went into a very well-made vinyl holding area, and these things were "pillow-topped" long before other mattress companies caught on.

Our younger daughter that is now 20 never knew any bed but water because her crib mattress was also water. It remains the best sleep I've ever had, and yet we did hate the water problem once every, oh....3 or so years, so....

we slowly replaced all but one bed in the house with new, standard type pillow top mattresses, but are hanging onto one waterbed. I'm even considering.....going back to Somma someday. I'm in my fifties, now. Why not treat myself to the best bed in the world and just make sure that like.....everytime we change all of the smoke detector batteries we do a check on the waterbed tubes? something like that.

Waterbed sleep spoils you so much so that a five star hotel can find me lieing awake for two hours in trying to get to sleep. This is why we've added things like the memory foams to the top of our supposedly dreamy, new pillow-top mattresses.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

This is funny...we've had a waterbed store recently open in a neighboring village (France being decades behind), and every time I pass it, I think of 404 Piikoi.
                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Up through high school my parents had a waterbed, and as a child I always loved to lay in it. I'd sneak into the bedroom when my parents weren't home just to sleep on the bed. It was sooo cool during hot summers when we didn't have air conditioning, and to be honest, I don't think theirs was heated, but I don't remember it really being cold in the winter (and this was Ohio, so we got our cold winters).

I remember one time, my parents and I switched bedrooms, and apparently the dog didn't get the memo. She came flying into the bedroom to jump onto what she thought was my bed, only to land on this bouncy wavy water balloon -- I'm surprised her claws didn't puncture the lining. It was a funny sight.
                  Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                  Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I had a waterbed back in the cryptozoic era. It was nice and warm during cold weather.

Comment

Working...
                    X