X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Electric bill

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    [...]
    Rates in CA do vary in different areas. And the temptation is to run the AC in HI more than Irvine, where it SHOULD be used only rarely (my daughters live about 20 miles north of Irvine and have no AC).[...]
    Both my daughter's and my units have central a/c which is included in the maintenance fees. In my daughter's case, that's true for both Irvine and Hawaii.
    I am sitting in my casa at 5:30 in Mexico as I post this. According to my weather station, inside temperature is 88F (outside 92) with 50% humidity. No air conditioning on today. We just open the casa up, turn on the ceiling fan, and get acclimatized in poolside attire or less. Time for a Saturday pm Mangorita with surimi/artichoke pupu!
    I don't have a/c in Makaha and do the same as you...open the place up and keep the ceiling fans going. There are only about 10 days a year that Kona weather makes it uncomfortable there. I do like it comfortably cool at night for sleeping. I love winters in Makaha!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Both my daughter's and my units have central a/c which is included in the maintenance fees. !
      I have a problem with that concept. I know it is prevalent in HI. I believe that people should have to pay for what they use. Otherwise, it is open the windows and leave the AC on. I am a believer in paying for what you truly use - perhaps more, perhaps less. This is one of the reasons I have decided not to purchase a unit in HI.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I have a problem with that concept. I know it is prevalent in HI. I believe that people should have to pay for what they use. Otherwise, it is open the windows and leave the AC on. I am a believer in paying for what you truly use - perhaps more, perhaps less. This is one of the reasons I have decided not to purchase a unit in HI.
        I remember discussing this issue with you when you were considering a purchase in Hawaii, and I don't disagree. The problem in some condo buildings like the one I live in in town is that there's no cross ventilation and house rules prevent the resident from propping the front door open. Plus the front door opens to an enclosed hall, hotel style. And, in my case, the (only) wall of windows can't be opened as there's no safety rail or lanai. The real problem is irresponsible residents, be they owners or tenants. My Makaha unit is set up entirely different which is why I've never installed an a/c unit. That building's maintenance fee doesn't include a/c.

Comment

The problem in some condo buildings like the one I live in in town is that there's no cross ventilation and house rules prevent the resident from propping the front door open. Plus the front door opens to an enclosed hall, hotel style. And, in my case, the (only) wall of windows can't be opened as there's no safety rail or lanai. .
          Very poor architectural design, and I have the credentials to criticize. I wouldn't buy a unit in one of those buildings.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Very poor architectural design, and I have the credentials to criticize. I wouldn't buy a unit in one of those buildings.
            It's only the studio units that don't have lanais. Some studio residents have managed to get their windows open. I'm not comfortable with that in my place. The one and 2 bedroom units have lanais and sliding doors. Then there are the 4 penthouses!!! Still, like so many high rise condo buildings, the front doors open into an enclosed hall that also includes the stairs, elevators and trash rooms. I'm comfortable with the design, possibly because I have something quite different in Makaha.

I know at least one, nice, elder housing condo building that purposely did not add lanais and windows that open. The reasoning was that we senior folks can, sometimes without notice, become disoriented or depressed or sleep walk, yada, yada. The building was designed to prevent potential injuries, either accidental or self-inflicted.

Comment

Hmmm...here on the Big Island I'm paying about $400 per month. And that's no AC. Electricity prices are very high here.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Hmmm...here on the Big Island I'm paying about $400 per month. And that's no AC. Electricity prices are very high here.
                For how many sq. ft.?

Comment

We've talked about this before - something doesn't seem right.

I'm super tempted to buy one of these for my place. In your situation, I think I'd buy one to figure out where the power is going.

Comment

I read on the AP wire that those cable/satellite tv boxes can use as much electricity as a 21-cu ft refrigerator. I got five of them.

Comment

For how many sq. ft.?
                      3000 sq ft under roof. And that doesn't include the 400 sq ft covered lanai

Comment

3000 sq ft under roof. And that doesn't include the 400 sq ft covered lanai
                        Hmmm...
                        3000 sq. ft. = $400.
                        464 sq. ft. = $100.

Comment

Hmmm...
                          3000 sq. ft. = $400.
                          464 sq. ft. = $100.
                          It would take an energy audit to determine the apparent inequity. I know one person who slept with their lights and TV on all night (I'm not saying that you do this Tutu) and couldn't figure out why her bill was so high. And there may be a difference in rates on the two islands. It can get complicated to determine the cost of electricity. We live in about 500 sqft. in Mexico (even though the actual casa is larger) and we pay about $100 per month during the season when no AC is required and we rarely use the dishwasher and have have all CFL bulbs. We think it is a bargain compared to what we have been paying in CA.

Cost of water is also part of the energy cost equation. How much do you pay for water?

Comment

[...]
                            Cost of water is also part of the energy cost equation. How much do you pay for water?
                            Water is included in the condo maintenance fee.

I have the TV and cable box on a timer to turn off 1 hour after I go to bed. I've contacted HECO in the past and have always been told my (energy saver) fridge is the reason for such a high bill! You're absolutely right...it will take an energy audit.

Comment

have always been told my (energy saver) fridge is the reason for such a high bill!
                              Ohhhhhhhhh gaaaaaaaawd! Here we go on the refrigerator from hell thread again! What is it about women and refrigerators? Uaifi gets her ta'uvala all in a bundle about refrigerators too.......don't put the cold cuts in the vegetable bin, milk goes on the top shelf not the second shelf, the butter always goes into the butter holder........on and on and on! Matapule just considers a refrigerator as a place to store the ice cream, that's all.
                              Last edited by matapule; July 5, 2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Matapule just considers a refrigerator as a place to store the ice cream, that's all.
                                You poor thing. Idea for you: store it in a freezer, not a refrigerator - you'll find it to be a whole new taste treat!

Comment

Working...
                                X