Clear All

• Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

By merln, shot with FinePix F31fd at 2008-12-02

Comment

By merln at 2008-12-04

Comment

DaveB and TommyA live in the North Part of England. It is their hobby to take seasonal photographs. I hope you don't feel cold looking at them ?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
          But I wonder if you really should encourage me. My family thinks it's getting out of hand, but it beats cross stitch!
          There's no such thing as too much photography...unless you're taking photos of family members on the toilet! My wife has only told me once to put the camera away. I guess that's not too bad.

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
          MJ, the Sheraton pic was taken by holding the camera firm against the surface of the handrailing for a 20 second exposure.
          Wow, 20 seconds. I guess you were able to hold the camera flat against the railing? If I had to keep it tilted, I doubt I could hold it steady for that long. Too much caffeine!

Originally posted by Barry View Post
          DaveB and TommyA live in the North Part of England. It is their hobby to take seasonal photographs. I hope you don't feel cold looking at them ?
          Luckily it's warm and cozy in my house atm. I once had to walk through the snow, carrying a jug of milk. It was frozen solid by the time we got home

Are Dave and Tommy HT members? Or just personal friends?
          Last edited by MyopicJoe; December 5, 2008, 07:37 AM.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

DaveB and TommA don't have time for forums. I get emails and photos from them once in a while. DaveB is staying with his sister in North West Yorkshire for the Christmas time. He sent me a lot of photos of how the rain there was melting the snow.
            I don't want to bore you all by putting them on. Like I mean, who wants to feel cold in Hawaii ?

Comment

I was at the Honolulu Zoo when I had a case of serious lens envy. A daddy was taking pictures of his kid with what looks to be a Canon 1D MkIII and a 70-200L f/2.8 IS lens. I love taking pictures of photographers, so I snapped one of him:

By chance does anyone recognize him? Is he a news photographer or something? He's got some pretty buffed arms (from swinging all that glass, no doubt).

Alas, with just my Nikon D40, 18-55mm kit lens, and some ingenuity; I managed some decent astronomy shots later in the week...

The moon:

Mars:

Take THAT, Tattratt!
              ;_D

(anyone figured out my dirty little secret?)
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "

Comment

Love that Mars shot above ^!

Here's a photo I took from the Halona Blow Hole area on 12/04/08 of sunrise.
                http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/...c81d67d132.jpg
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  Here's a photo I took from the Halona Blow Hole area on 12/04/08 of sunrise.
                  I like how feathery the sun looks. The low angle light gives the ocean surface a nice texture. Something you wouldn't see during high noon

For all you fellow amateurs out there, here's a guy who beat out 55,000 other contestants...with a consumer grade point-n-shoot camera and a $20 plastic tripod. He saw something which looked interesting to him, and spent the time to get the shot just right. Practicing photography is more important than the gear you buy.

Did any HT'er win NatGeo's photo contest?
                  "

Comment

[ deleted ]
                    "

Comment

Going out on a limb here...

MJ, those are not real planets, are they? I think your "astronomy" shots might be pics of models.

Am I gettin' close?

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        Am I gettin' close?
                        Getting close!

I thought Menehune Man would have gotten it, due to where (I think) he works. Or maybe he's just holding back.

Oh, and I was mistaken by the second planet. It's not Mars, but rather Venus.
                        "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                          Getting close!

I thought Menehune Man would have gotten it, due to where (I think) he works. Or maybe he's just holding back.

Oh, and I was mistaken by the second planet. It's not Mars, but rather Venus.
                          Alrighty then!
                          It's the "Science on a Sphere" exhibit in the Planetarium lobby of the Bishop Museum? If so... how'd you black out the rest?
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                            It's the "Science on a Sphere" exhibit in the Planetarium lobby of the Bishop Museum?
                            Woo hoo!

/high-five MM

If so... how'd you black out the rest?
                            The SoS globe is rather bright, compared to the rest of the room. Apparently you just have to meter for the globe, and most of the room disappears into blackness. I didn't really expect that to happen, when I took the pic; it was a pleasant surprise, when I got home. Oh, and I happened to have positioned myself so that none of the lighted displays were right behind the globe. Many of my favorite pics turn out to be accidents. I try to learn from my luck.

For the curious, my camera settings were: 1/30 sec, f/4.2, ISO 800

For Venus, I used a spot removal tool and an exposure reducing brush, to get rid of pesky background clutter:

For the Moon, a simple crop did the trick:

If I researched the SoS website correctly, I believe the Moon images came from the Clementine Spacecraft. Magellan needed xray vision, to see through Venus's thick cloud cover.
                            "

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                              Woo hoo!

/high-five MM

The SoS globe is rather bright, compared to the rest of the room. Apparently you just have to meter for the globe, and most of the room disappears into blackness. I didn't really expect that to happen, when I took the pic; it was a pleasant surprise, when I got home. Oh, and I happened to have positioned myself so that none of the lighted displays were right behind the globe. Many of my favorite pics turn out to be accidents. I try to learn from my luck.

For the curious, my camera settings were: 1/30 sec, f/4.2, ISO 800

For Venus, I used a spot removal tool and an exposure reducing brush, to get rid of pesky background clutter:

For the Moon, a simple crop did the trick:
                              MJ, your career as a trusted photojournalistic source has been seriously compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                                Nice photos, Barry. Reaffirms my desire not to be cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X