• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim75
    replied
    Re: HT's Photo Sharing Thread - Chapter 4

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Think I just got 'wet'! HaHa!
    Really Choice shots! Love the facial expressions.
    Thanks MM. The facial expressions are the best part and totally unexpected until I opened them up in the computer.

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    I'd say 90% of the pros use either ones of these. You can do batch adjustments, like setting white balance for one photo and then applying it to a group of other photos. You can really do 95% of your work inside these apps. I don't really pull up photoshop as much anymore, only for special stuff.
    Brian, I've got a Dell/IBM PC. Will lightroom open NEF files? I'm assuming it will as you're shooting Nikon.

Leave a comment:

• LocalMotion
    replied

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post

I did a comparison between Nikon Capture and Photoshop a while back when a had a trial version of both in my computer. I can't remember if I used NEF files shot in raw or JPG's, but it seemed very clear to me that the Nikon program opened them up considerably sharper. I had read this on the net and I found it to be easily noticeable.
    Yeah NC will apply a lot more sharpening upfront, but the Nikon files are generally soft out of camera in a way that let's PS add great looking sharpening. I do my sharpening at the end.

I really don't even know about Aperature or Lightroom. They must be good or you wouldn't have mentioned them. Are they like the standard people are using now?
    Aperture is for Macs (made by Apple) and LightRoom is from Adobe for both systems. They are full image asset management apps. You catalog all your photos, do RAW conversions, all the regular type of adjustments like exposure, white balace, etc... plus TONS more. Even advanced image editing techniques.

I'd say 90% of the pros use either ones of these. You can do batch adjustments, like setting white balance for one photo and then applying it to a group of other photos. You can really do 95% of your work inside these apps. I don't really pull up photoshop as much anymore, only for special stuff.

If you use a Mac check out the detailed great videos of Aperture here:
    http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

Think I just got 'wet'! HaHa!
    Really Choice shots! Love the facial expressions.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

These are the last

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

and more

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

More Sandy's.

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

Today I was at Sandy's. Gorgeous day. Lots of surf. Lots of surfers. One of the guys came over to talk to me and I told him if I got any good pics I'd post 'em and where they'd be. So here's a bunch.

Last edited by Jim75; September 6, 2008, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

This one is my favorite from those. You have some great colors in these. Good job. I can see you pics getting better and better...

what are you using these days? LightRoom? Aperture?
    I love that pic too! I'm loving all the photos being shared here, but that was my favorite by far. Great work, Jim!

Leave a comment:

• Jim75
    replied

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    A fly, though I wish I could have got it from the front
    Great macro fly, Tatt! Their little mettalic bodies are beautiful in their own way.

I shoot a lot of weddings on the mainland, and i never really post them outside my blog, etc.... thought i'd start sharing some portraits

I think this is a really exceptional shot. It looks like Ben Harper and J-Lo.

what are you using these days? LightRoom? Aperture?
    I open them and do some light, color, and sharpening in Nikon Capture NX. If they need more I use JASC Paint Shop Pro.

I did a comparison between Nikon Capture and Photoshop a while back when a had a trial version of both in my computer. I can't remember if I used NEF files shot in raw or JPG's, but it seemed very clear to me that the Nikon program opened them up considerably sharper. I had read this on the net and I found it to be easily noticeable.

I really don't even know about Aperature or Lightroom. They must be good or you wouldn't have mentioned them. Are they like the standard people are using now?

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    I liked how wispy the clouds looked. From the angle of this shot, it looks like they're streaming off the building. Purely accidental:
    Great cloud shot, Joe. The contrast of the angular and the organic works well.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

Originally posted by sophielynette View Post
    I bet the person who took that photo was using a little Nikon point and shoot
    Heh could be! Youngest brother paying respects to elder brothers?

I wonder what it sounded like, sitting in that section. Must have sounded like this x20!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Cano...ti-cf-jpeg.mp3
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 5, 2008, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sophielynette
    replied

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    It would be hilarious to see one photographer in the middle using a compact consumer grade camera.
    I bet the person who took that photo was using a little Nikon point and shoot

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

LOL. Look at the professional photographers crammed together at the National Aquatics Center during the Olympics. Talk about some big guns:

(Michael Kappeler/AFP/DDP)

It would be hilarious to see one photographer in the middle using a compact consumer grade camera. Hmm, that might make for an interesting advertisement. Probably has been done.

The picture came from this link:
    http://luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/#266

The most artistic vomit ever.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 4, 2008, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

A situation where not having the option to attach a polarizing filter isn't a big deal:

I liked how wispy the clouds looked. From the angle of this shot, it looks like they're streaming off the building. Purely accidental:

And finally, the cockroach that got stuck to the car while we were washing it. Note the air bubbles under its wings. My wife wasn't as amused as I was, when I took this shot:

Leave a comment:

• TATTRAT
    replied

Lovely stuff, all!

jim, you makin me miss up country...with huli huli chicken and shaveice, I can almost smell it!

localmotion, seriously, very nice work. I love the quality you give your shots, and I am a HUGE fan of "candid"work. You seem to catch all the right moments the bride would NOT like, but see, and then LOVE!

Leave a comment:

• LocalMotion
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue
    LocalMotion (Brian) shoots incredible engagement and wedding photos...untraditional, edgy, fun. Where were you 44 years ago, Brian? Be sure to check out his web site. The URL is in his sig.
    You're too kind Sue....

Originally posted by myopicjoe
    Nice website design. The music goes well with the slide shows. I already showed the link to a friend.

He captures his clients' emotions very well. He makes regular people look good. They all look like models to me.
    Thanks so much... i did the design myself. That's what happens when your clients are comfortable with you and you shoot them candidly, instead of trying to "pose" them. All my clients come to be because of my style. I don't do it on purpose it just turns out that way...

here's a couple of my favs from a wedding not too long ago

Leave a comment:

Working...
X