Wood floor for patio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood floor for patio?

I had a very nice deck made of ipe. Ipe is very hard and durable. Our deck was finished with Australian Tree Oil. I loved that because it was very easy to touch up. Whenever an area looked weathered, you just wipe some more on with a rag. I would not recommend Sikkens for any area that gets sun. You will be sanding and refinishing all the time.

Comment

a friend came over and sanded all the redwood fencing (removed the thompson's water seal) and applied man o'war spar varnish by mccloskkey. looks beautiful and required severa coats. however, it costs app. 50 bucks per gallon.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
        a friend came over and sanded all the redwood fencing (removed the thompson's water seal) and applied man o'war spar varnish by mccloskkey. looks beautiful and required severa coats. however, it costs app. 50 bucks per gallon.
        And it'll be a real handful to maintain, especially here in the tropics. Plan on lots of sanding and revarnishing each year.
        Next time around, build up 8 to 10 base coats with Interlux's "Jet Speed" varnish (you can put on multiple coats each day), then just do a couple of finish coats using the Man O'War or similar, for the added UV protection. Then it's easier next time to just do a light sanding and another finish coat or two. And it's a lot cheaper, too!
        And when you're done there... wanna come varnish my boat?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

shoots! didn't know about the "jet speed" varnish.

um, no thanks. i can't get over the smell of that stuff. sure does linger awhile. even the dogs were sneezing. i'm still procrastinating and haven't finished painting the window sills on the inside of the house along with other touchups. and, there's still the hollow tile wall in the paito that isn't finished.
          auwe!
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Man, I still haven't decided what to do but it's getting to be high time. I want something nice and natural but still gentle to walk on. It's a highly trafficked area.

Comment

As mentioned, wood is out of the question if rotting is a concern.

Here's the Trex website for reference: http://www.trex.com/

A home in Manoa had Trex decking installed. I haven't seen it since the construction but it handled like wood. The exception is that it's not as stiff as wood and requires more support.

Also, depending on how the patio is in relation to the doorway, you might have to demolish the existing slab. Otherwise the deck will be higher than the interior floor and that's not good at all.

Other than a synthetic or composite, the only option is stone or other masonry. Fungus and other microbes love eating up wood. And if left unprotected or allowed to remain moist, almost any kind of wood will be returned to nature in a fairly short period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                Here's the Trex website for reference: http://www.trex.com/
                I've used Trex extensively in the past, so I second that suggestion. I always found the best prices through Honsador Lumber.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check it out. Where is Honsador Lumber located?

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    And when you're done there... wanna come varnish my boat?
                    Hahaha! Me & the BF will varnish your boat...at the sandbar!!

Seriously, "will trade boat chores for sandbar trips!"

....or for good talkstory and a 6 pack...
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by amagab View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go check it out. Where is Honsador Lumber located?
                      Google is your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                        Hahaha! Me & the BF will varnish your boat...at the sandbar!! Seriously, "will trade boat chores for sandbar trips!"
                        Oh sure, you make that offer on a really rainy day with the wind honking at around 25 knots and the ocean stirred up like a washing machine.

Comment

the very best deck coating product is by sikkens http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c..._category=deck we have used it extensively on high end homes here in kona with very good results. available at I.C.I. paints stores and maybe a few other places. we have used it on all kinds of wood including the brazilian ironwood. it is expensive though about 80 dollars a gallon if i recall.
                          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Working...
                          X