Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood laminate floors

Originally posted by cezanne
    I don't think they would be able to compete with Costco's price. Perhaps get the planks and underlayment from Costco's and the accessories from the dealers?
    Yeah, that's the idea. Costco doesn't carry any of the accessories, so I'm hoping to get them from the dealers instead. First, I have to make the time to visit these guys and see what kind of inventory they carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
      That's what's happening with mine: a couple of the short joints have opened up. Unfortunately they're not near the edges, so I can't easily whack them back into place. I'm thinking I might have to just fill the gaps in with putty or something to keep junk from accumulating in them.
      That's what I did with my first installation which was the glue type... tinted putty... can't even tell it was there. Home Depot even has caulk that's made for (their)laminates. But I didn't want to spend bucks just to conceal a couple of open joints. But if you have some holes like on the perimeter or by those trick cuts around door jambs and such... the caulking would work there too.

Comment

Yeah, that's the idea. Costco doesn't carry any of the accessories, so I'm hoping to get them from the dealers instead. First, I have to make the time to visit these guys and see what kind of inventory they carry.
        A gal that I helped install Costco planks got her transition strips (door threshold) from HomeDepot. They were Pergo brand but matched really good. All I know is that those accessories come at a premium price. The wife wants to do the stairs too but the (Pergo) cost for the material to cap the edge with is laughable.

Comment

We're thinking of ripping out our carpeting and replacing it with wood laminate flooring, probably the Harmonics brand that Costco is carrying. Has anyone here done this, and if so how did it go? Any tips on what to do, and what not to do?
          Costco's Harmonics laminate flooring is a good product at an excellent price. A lot of information can be found on laminate flooring | oncloud8 as well as on my blog entry. Shralper recently contributed a nice post on the equivalence between the Harmonics product and the Quick Step 800 Series, very informative post.

Originally posted by Shralper
          Even more important, check out the price. Even though www.floorshop.com has some of the best prices on the internet, the 800 Classic still runs about $1 more per sq ft. than Costco's Harmonics. Not only that, but the Quick-Step (Combi Floor) underflooring runs about $50 for 160 sq. ft., and that doesn't even include the install kit. Suddenly, the Harmonics underflooring ($30 with kit), which sounds to be identical to the Quick-Step Combi-Floor, is also looking like another incredible bargain!

Comment

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Costco's got the $5 off per carton deal again... good until tomorrow, Sunday July 9. So that's $27.99 - $5.00 for 17.18 square feet. They also have the 150 sf of underlayment/vapor barrier with the tools for $34.50.

My wife got wind of it and guess what... I got another summer project to work on .

Oh it's the Harmonics brand and I have to agree that it's the same thing as the Quickstep 800 a very good product. For my project the complete package price at $1.56/sf still beats the no tax,Navy Exchange (thanks mom) cost of just the planks which goes for $2.89/sf. (underlayment/no vapor barrier @ $17.80/100 sf is an added cost and if you don't have the tools and spacers figure on kerplunking a few more dollars still).

Got back a couple hours ago and the wife is cleaning out the project room as I type my last words... whatever makes her happy I guess (sigh).

Comment

Working...
            X