Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interisland Moving company

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Termite barriers are pretty effective for preventing ground termites from colonizing your house from underground. However, they aren't 100% proof against ground termites -- there are occasionally cases of aerial infestation by ground termites, where an airborne mating pair finds your roof, settles in, and starts munching from the top down!

Of course, those barriers don't do anything to stop drywood termites. They don't burrow like ground termites do; instead, they're the ones that you usually see swarming on hot summer nights. You just gotta be vigilant, and tent every few years.
    In my area, drywood termites seem to have better things to munch on, (like dead 'ohia trees) instead of the houses. In addition, the coqui frogs around here are probably feeding on the termites.

In any event, I recommend an annual termite inspection. If termites are found during the inspection, then go ahead and get the house tented; otherwise, you might find that you only need to get the house tented once (or twice) per decade.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
      In any event, I recommend an annual termite inspection. If termites are found during the inspection, then go ahead and get the house tented; otherwise, you might find that you only need to get the house tented once (or twice) per decade.
      Of course, tenting will not work on ground termites. But that subject could take up a whole other thread.

Beachboy, it sounds like your furniture isn't coming with you due to termites. So, call Y.B. and ask about the GVan for shipping boxes and misc. (It is in an earlier posting). And, contact a freight forwarder and see what it would cost if you shipped some boxes through them.

Be careful if you decide to hire unprofessional movers. Make sure anyone working on your property has appropriate insurance, including liability and WORKERS COMP. If someone is hurt while on your property doing work for you, and they are uninsured, you the homeowner can be considered for protentially holding the bag on medical bills and missed work.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona View Post
        Be careful if you decide to hire unprofessional movers. Make sure anyone working on your property has appropriate insurance, including liability and WORKERS COMP. If someone is hurt while on your property doing work for you, and they are uninsured, you the homeowner can be considered for protentially holding the bag on medical bills and missed work.
        I second that. However, if one decides to take a chance with "unprofessional movers", just get them to sign an "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability" form before they do any work.

Comment

I second that. However, if one decides to take a chance with "unprofessional movers", just get them to sign an "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability" form before they do any work.
          I doubt that such a waiver would hold up in a Work Comp case. If you've got someone working (ie paid, not meaning helpful friends & family) on your property, you'd best make sure they carry Work Comp insurance.

Comment

I doubt that such a waiver would hold up in a Work Comp case. If you've got someone working (ie paid, not meaning helpful friends & family) on your property, you'd best make sure they carry Work Comp insurance.
            If it's worded correctly, an "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability" form will hold up in court, especially if the "unprofessional movers" aren't considered "employees." Just make sure that you pay them less than $225 a piece in cash for the job and it's all good (see HRS ยง386-1).

Comment

If it's worded correctly, an "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability" form will hold up in court, especially if the "unprofessional movers" aren't considered "employees." Just make sure that you pay them less than $225 a piece in cash for the job and it's all good (see HRS ยง386-1).
              You might have a point.... but if someone slips and falls while hauling boxes down the driveway, and breaks a leg, and isn't covered by Work Comp insurance, the Homeowner better have a good Homeowner's Policy in place 'cuz the Homeowner is gona' pay the medical bills. I'd rather just work with a "real company" that has Work Comp and not have the headache if something goes wrong. My theory: saving a few bucks is a great idea, but not if it sets you up for major liability if an accident happens.

Comment

You might have a point.... but if someone slips and falls while hauling boxes down the driveway, and breaks a leg, and isn't covered by Work Comp insurance, the Homeowner better have a good Homeowner's Policy in place 'cuz the Homeowner is gona' pay the medical bills. I'd rather just work with a "real company" that has Work Comp and not have the headache if something goes wrong. My theory: saving a few bucks is a great idea, but not if it sets you up for major liability if an accident happens.
                Not necessarily. There's the legal doctrine of "assumption of risk" or "volenti non fit injuria", which would be an affirmative defense if the "unprofessional movers" are injured while they are "working" for a homeowner. A carefully-worded "Accident Waiver and Release of Liability" form that's signed by the "unprofessional movers" prior to the commencement of any "work" is an express "assumption of risk"; thus, they would have little legal recourse against the homeowner or the homeowner's insurance company.

Of course, if a homeowner is not an attorney (or doesn't have one on retainer), it might be preferable to hire "professional movers" that are properly insured.

Comment

Of course, if a homeowner is not an attorney (or doesn't have one on retainer), it might be preferable to hire "professional movers" that are properly insured.
                  Yep...we are in full agreement.

Comment

I'm assuming all those movers listed in the telephone book are professional companies? Those are the ones I have called so far. The one lady with
                    "Aloha International Movers"(same agent as Allied Movers), said that price is state regulated. So basically all professional moving companies are roughly $800.00 per thousand pounds of weight.

As for the termites, it is a real problem for me. My last landlady was Pake, and my front door as heavy duty as it was....was totally infested with termites. Right next to my front door was a nice wooden bookshelf. To make a long story short, my bookshelf was ruined because she refused to listen to my pleas for her to change the damn door! That's the kinda crap renters have to go through. Is it fair,....who knows,and who cares? I have only one item of wood making the trip to HPP. That is my Dining Room table. It's less than six months old, and I'm pretty sure safe in the kitchen in this home I currently occupy. The wifey wouldn't understand if she saw it in the yard sale

Comment

There's a mailbox rental place in P?hoa (across the street from the 7-11) called the "1-Stop Mail Shop" where you can have your mail and packages sent to. You can reach them at (808) 965-1111.
                      would you know off hand what six months, or a year would cost me? I'm assuming that's my only option while waiting for one of HPP's roadside mail boxes,....correct?

Comment

Working...
                      X