Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaking shower needs temp. fix

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Thanks, Pomai. I wish it was a DIY project for me but I'm physically not able to invest any elbow grease so I'm looking for the simplest (and, hopefully, least expensive) solution. Not to mention I'm hyper-sensitive to chemical odors! Whatever method I use will more than likely have to be done by someone else. It's a tiny shower...32"x32"!!! That, alone, prevents me from over indulging in ice cream, tiramisu, chocolate cake...and all the other foods I love!!!
    I guess you'll be staying out of the sausage thread than. lol

Sue, I'm having a busy Friday, so I'll arrange with you sometime early next week to pick up the "wooden guests".

In the mean time, why don't you take out that digicam of yours and snap some shots of them sunbathing on Makaha beach!

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      I guess you'll be staying out of the sausage thread than. lol
      Uh huh!
      Sue, I'm having a busy Friday, so I'll arrange with you sometime early next week to pick up the "wooden guests".
      Ok!
      In the mean time, why don't you take out that digicam of yours and snap some shots of them sunbathing on Makaha beach!
      I'm in town working so I don't know if our "friends" will make it back out to Makaha. Probably not!

Comment

I think it would be easier to regrout than to caulk... also you will get better results.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          I think it would be easier to regrout than to caulk... also you will get better results.
          Regrouting is probably the best, not to mention the most aesthetically pleasing, way to go. However, I'm looking for a wham-bam-thank-you-maam quickie that'll tie me over for the next 8-12 months! I don't even care what he...I mean it...looks like. Well, you know what I mean...

Comment

Using 3M 5200 caulk/adhesive is a good idea. Real easy to apply and it will definitely stick. It's a bit tougher than silicone and is the preferred sealant for marine applications. Use a plastic squeegee to apply it. Don't worry about it getting smeared onto the floor as it would probably create a non-slip surface.

It cures very slowly. Allow two days for it to cure completely.

Another option is a low-viscocity epoxy resin.

There's something called "West Systems Epoxy". A quart will be more than enough.

Make sure the shower stall is really dry. Leave a fan in there or similar to thoroughly air it out overnight before starting this.

And wear nitrile gloves while working with this stuff. Or at least put on a pair of latex gloves. You don't want to touch epoxy if you can avoid it.

Mix it in a plastic cup with a tounge depressor or similar stirring stick. It cures very slowly so take your time mixing it thoroughly.

With a cheap paintbrush, work it into the gaps between the tiles. It should soak into any cracks or gaps. It's the consistency of paint so it won't go in as thick layers.

It'll take a few hours to set so you'll have to wait a bit if you want to mix up a second batch and put in a second coat. It should be pretty hard the next morning.

It's not going to look all that great but it'll hold up well enough as a temporary patch. This epoxy can be pretty tough, too. I did some fiberglass repairs on my boat with it and some people who build their own airplanes also use this for certain components.

You can get it at Kilgo's and West Marine. Both are on Sand Island Road.

Epoxy resin has a good shelf life, too. So if you have a bunch of it leftover it'll probably come in handy somewhere down the line. Don't feel like you'll get stuck with it...

Comment

Working...
            X