No announcement yet.

Oh no... not Kimo Kahoano... not DUI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh no... not Kimo Kahoano... not DUI...

If you're a friend of former Gov. Cayetano he would have gotten you pardoned among his last acts as governor.

He pardoned Thomas Foley who killed a woman while driving under the influence. It wasn't Foley's first offense and it cost someone else their life. He was given a 10-year sentence. Yet he got pardoned after serving 4 years. Less than half the sentence.

Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      A few folks here seem to have forgotten that in addition to the DUI, Kimo also was arrested for HIT-AND-RUN. Please don't say that he was just drunk but didn't hurt anyone, because he did cause an accident and he willfully and intentionally left the scene of the crime without even stopping to make sure nobody was hurt.
      I've met him dozens of times and agree that he's a charmer.
      So was Kinky Chinky Mahoe, the convicted child molester.
      Kimo deserves what's coming.
      LK, if you meant to chastise me, let me clarify:

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      hawaii state DUI laws are amongst the strongest in the nation, according to this chart.

while i'll agree that drunk drivers don't deserve pity, first-time offenders who haven't actually hurt anyone shouldn't be demonized, either.
      doing so will discourage them from getting hurt.
      ^^^^^"hurt" should have read "help," btw. apologies--was rushing to post before running out.

for the record, i would be among the last in this world to want DUI laws to be loosened. if anything, i wish more people would be proactive if they know someone is not fit to drive, because expecting the law--no matter how strict, no matter how many cops there are out on the road -- to stop all drunk driving ignores what is actually possible in reality. i've worked at firms who've gone after drunk drivers in civil cases and i've worked at firms who've defended drunk drivers. that experience showed me the only way to rid the world of drunk driving absolutely is to (a) get rid of motorized vehicles and (b) get rid of alcohol. neither is ever going to happen, realistically.

so we all...WE ALL *points at herself and everyone else*...are responsible in watching our fellow (wo)man and if s/he doesn't realize that s/he is not fit to drive, then WE have to stop them. that means expressing our concerns if we think someone has a drinking problem, taking away keys, calling in the license plates of weaving drivers to the cops...all of that, and more. if you see someone leaving a bar totally plastered and then driving off in their car, shoot--don't go on enjoying your night, talking about what a prick that lush is. call that prick in to the cops!!

additionally, if we, as drivers, are going to drink, we need to make sure we are sober (and not the "nah, i'm fine, no worries, brah," all the while wobbling and having drowsy-eye, kine sober) before we get behind the wheel (eat some food, drink a lot of water...coffee by itself aint gonna do much) or we have to enlist friends/family to make that decision for us. if we all take responsibility for reporting/preventing drunk driving the same way we expect neighbors to take responsibility for reporting/preventing child abuse or molestation, scores more people would be saved than merely on the virtues of legal/criminal penalties alone.

if someone had done any of the things i suggested above some twenty-odd years ago, instead of letting my dad get in a car with a friend so intoxicated that he later rammed the car straight into a parked truck, he might still be alive. instead, he died painfully, over the course of hours, due to major internal injuries.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

LK, if you meant to chastise me, let me clarify
        No ma`am, I was not chastising anyone, and I apologize if it somehow sounded that way. What I wrote was "A few folks here seem to have forgotten that in addition to the DUI, Kimo also was arrested for HIT-AND-RUN." Perhaps I should've written "Almost everyone here."
        My comment was not at all aimed at anyone in particular. It was just a reminder to everyone.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

thanks for the clarification, LK.

on a waaaay tangential note, you reminded me how much i mourn that i get greeted with the "ma'am" in real life. when the heck did i start looking old enough to be a "ma'am"??!!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

thanks for the clarification, LK.
            You're certainly welcome. [/hug]

on a waaaay tangential note, you reminded me how much i mourn that i get greeted with the "ma'am" in real life. when the heck did i start looking old enough to be a "ma'am"??!!
            Heh. It annoys me too when folks call me "Sir." I'm not silver-haired and senile yet.
            As far as I know.

Comment

So did anyone see the interview with Tanya Joaquin on KHON? Everything was going along well until he looked sincerely into the camera and asked all of us for a "humble apology" - I'm sure he meant that he wanted to apologize to all of us or he wanted our forgiveness, but it came it wrong. It was so bizarre that I did a double take. You can view the story here.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                So did anyone see the interview with Tanya Joaquin on KHON? Everything was going along well until he looked sincerely into the camera and asked all of us for a "humble apology" - I'm sure he meant that he wanted to apologize to all of us or he wanted our forgiveness, but it came it wrong. It was so bizarre that I did a double take.
                As did I, when I saw that on KHON's news last night at 10pm. After they aired that clip, Joe Moore noted that he was sure what Dog MEANT to say was [/blah blah blah].
                Whatever, Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  As did I, when I saw that on KHON's news last night at 10pm. After they aired that clip, Joe Moore noted that he was sure what Dog MEANT to say was [/blah blah blah].
                  Whatever, Joe.
                  Ummm...Dog or Kimo?!

I also saw it and my first thought was that Kimo was just extremely nervous to the point of mixing up his words. Sometimes the mind goes all wonky under pressure. I've had that happen and I'd guess others have, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Ummm...Dog or Kimo?!
                    OOPS. Yes, I meant Kimo, not Dog. My bad.
                    Good catch, Tutu. Now I owe you, what, four Big Boy combos?
                    Such a busy news day yesterday, with Kimo, Dog, the SuperFerry, and more. So confusing, sometimes!

Comment

Kimo for Senate, EH wat da H**. we humble when we get on the news
                      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Don't try to pay your churchly tidings Kimo. 10 rights won't undo one really stupid wrong. I enjoy alcohol. The only drug I would ever use. I might even have one too many. But I DO NOT get behind the wheel of a car when I'm drinking. Everybody in this generation knows it.

He, and thousands of others, still don't get it.

For Kimo Kahoano, you don't need to apologize to anyone but yourself. You need serious help to stop this addiction. You are probably to the point in life where you have to stop the drinking in order to stop the drunk driving.

You gonna kill yourself or someone else if you don't do it.

Get help. You are very sick and don't know it and since you are in the public eye, most of your friends and family are not going to give you the tough love you need. They are going to come to your defense.

Comment

Working...
                        X