R.I.P., Auntie Genoa Keawe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R.I.P., Auntie Genoa Keawe

In 2002, Auntie Genoa played for the Kamehameha Performing Arts summer school students under kumu Alan Akaka, who also happened to be her steel guitar player. I took a few photos, one which is among my all-time favorite shots.

http://urltea.com/2sgs

Aloha 'oe, Auntie Genoa Keawe.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha and Mahalo Auntie. Hana hou, just for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJXcZCbTPc

Kawika

Comment

Her passing was noted on NPR's "All Things Considered" today (on an unrelated note, they used a track by the Honolulu Jazz Quartet as a music bump in the same program).

Comment

Wow, how cool, Leo! Thank you for that, I missed it.

One of my 'Genoa moments' was an evening of tooling around Kalihi (her at the wheel) to all her old haunts to grind. I mentioned having seen her join Gabby on stage at The Shell in 1980 for a couple of #s (this was also Gabby's last show), and she laid the bomb that it was the first time they had ever shared a stage! It would sadly prove to be the only, as Pops passed on a few months later.

The only solice at this time is reveling in the fact that she gave us an incredible 50 plus years of top shelf entertainment, a legacy that will endure. and for those of us who loved seeing her perform, years of memories from the very best in the biz.

I encourage all who loved Aunty to come out this Thursday to see her Grandaughter, Mandi* ably take over the reins on the stage Genoa Keawe and Her Hawaiians held court for the last years of her wonderful life. The Waikiki Beach Marriott, 3rd Fl., pool stage no later than 6pm for a chance for a seat. It's going to be nuts.
          *Mandi sounds like Genoa did in her youth, great.
          There will also be lots of fine Hawaiian steel guitar, the home grown instrument Genoa loved and included in all her music.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; February 27, 2008, 12:05 AM.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            I mentioned having seen her join Gabby on stage at The Shell in 1980 for a couple of #s (this was also Gabby's last show), and she laid the bomb that it was the first time they had ever shared a stage! It would sadly prove to be the only, as Pops passed on a few months later.
            Maybe she was differentiating between a "stage" and a "club"? Interesting item in Ben Wood's column in today's Star-Bulletin, which includes:

I first saw the incredible falsetto singer in the very early 1950s when my UH pals, Archie Iwanaga and Hank McKeague, and I scraped up a few bucks and hit Sierra Cafe in Kaimuki. Besides Hawaiian, she and her group, which included a young Gabby Pahinui and Violet Pahu, sang hapa-haole songs and would also swing it on pop numbers during those Sunday afternoon sessions.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

No, she emphesized 'never', and I pressed the subject because it was of much interest to me to know the full facts, and she made it clear they had never played together, period.
              That's why I posted the story, because it's a real head shaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                I encourage all who loved Aunty to come out this Thursday to see her Grandaughter, Mandi* ably take over the reins on the stage Genoa Keawe and Her Hawaiians held court for the last years of her wonderful life. The Waikiki Beach Marriott, 3rd Fl., pool stage no later than 6pm for a chance for a seat. It's going to be nuts.

*Mandi sounds like Genoa did in her youth, great.

There will also be lots of fine Hawaiian steel guitar, the home grown instrument Genoa loved and included in all her music.
                That's Mandi at the right in this picture:

http://www.zztype.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=50179

She does sound very much like her grandmother. Tutu taught her!

To the left of Mandi is bass player Gary Aiko, Genoa's son, an incredible baritone.

And the steel guitar player in those photos is Alan Akaka, who has been her steel guitar player for 20 years.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Hearing Mandi tell it, growing up in her grandmother's home allowed her to wake up every morning to her tutu's voice, and learned to a large degree by osmosis. Which is probably why the vocal resemblences come so easily.

Gary is, IMO, the most gifted musician on the Hawaiian scene, and has been for decades without ever being much on the media's radar. My favorite male vocal, bassist, uke, and a hell of a nice guy.
                  He was always there for his Mom, and I've dreaded this day especially for him.

Another great memory of Genoa, was the live broacast of a local TV/morning news show w/Genoa, Momi, and Gary a few years ago. During a song, the camera pans past the band and comes accross Gary and then focuses in on his face and ear. A large gold earring comes in full center screen veiw, as plain as the sun at night.
                  The earring was a hand sporting the middle finger.
                  For a moment, it was a surreal juxtapozation with his Mom's visage in the background, and the cameraman doing his best to subtly get it corrected in an instant, was hilarious.
                  Last edited by Ron Whitfield; February 28, 2008, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Here at the Waikiki Beach Marriott for a Celebration of Life for Auntie Genoa Keawe.

Got here early to get a table at the Moana Terrace, began filling up by 5:30 p.m. Found an outlet, and free WiFi so I'll do my best to keep everyone up to date. Otherwise, there's either Twitter or UTTERZ or Tumblr.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

The place is packed with family, friends and fans. Family still trickling in.
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Connection problems? Darn. I was looking forward to reading your updates. Thanks for trying. However, a recap of the evening would be fine, when you get a chance.
                        [/hint]

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          a recap of the evening would be fine
                          The Advertiser covered the event at Moana Terrace quite well here: AUNTY GENOA IN HER HEART

Hey, we have the same name.

The information with details for Aunty's services are here.

Services for Aunty Genoa Keawe
                          Who: Aunty Genoa Keawe
                          What: Celebration of Life
                          Where: Borthwick Mortuary - Maunakea Street (Chinatown Honolulu)
                          When: Thursday, March 6, 2008
                          Visitation from 2:00pm to 8:00pm
                          Service at 6:00pm

Then...

Where: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - La'ie (North Shore of Oahu)
                          When: Friday, March 7, 2008
                          Visitation from 9:00am to 12:00pm
                          Service at noon
                          Burial at 2:00pm at La'ie Cemetery

I'll be there.
                          Last edited by Pomai; March 1, 2008, 08:25 AM. Reason: sp
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Connection problems? Darn. I was looking forward to reading your updates. Thanks for trying. However, a recap of the evening would be fine, when you get a chance.
                            [/hint]
                            That's why I wouldn't be able to make a great breaking news journalist. I had my good intentions, but was then caught up in the celebration! My apologies.
                            ___
                            "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                              The Advertiser covered the event at Moana Terrace quite well here: AUNTY GENOA IN HER HEART.
                              Thanks. Saw that yesterday morning, but figured Neenz would have a different perspective on it.

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
                              I had my good intentions, but was then caught up in the celebration! My apologies.
                              Absolutely no apology necessary, Neenz!

Comment

The Advertiser just posted this item on their website:
                                Live radio coverage planned for Genoa Keawe's funeral

Funeral services for Hawaiian music icon Genoa Keawe, set for tomorrow at Borthwick Mortuary, will be carried live on KKNE 940 AM and online at am940hawaii.com.
                                Cox Radio program manager David Daniel said intermittent interviews with musicians and family members will be aired between 4 and 6 p.m., during the visitation. Then at 6 p.m., the actual services will be aired live for about an hour.
                                Keawe, the First Lady of Hawaiian Music, died Feb. 25 in her sleep at her Papakolea home. She was 89.
                                On Friday, visitation will be from 9 a.m. to noon at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in La'ie, 55-110 Lanihuli St., near the grounds of the La'ie Hawai'i Temple. The service will be at noon, and burial at 2 p.m. at the La'ie cemetery.
                                An online tribute to Aunty Genoa will be heard on Harry B. Soria Jr.'s Territorial Airwaves program, starting tomorrow and continuing through March 13. The homage will include a number of Keawe's signature hits, including "Alika," "Papalina Lahilahi," "Ho'onanea: and "Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua." Go to www.hawaiian105.com or www.am940hawaii.com.
                                The show also airs from noon to 1 p.m. Fridays and from 5 to 6 p.m. Sundays on KKNE 940 AM.
                                "For this show, we'll trace through some of our favorite Genoa Keawse recordings, along with a few out-of-print cuts that you may not have heard," said Soria, in a statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X