Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P.: Henry Gibson

Another loss, posted at this link:

Actor Henry Gibson, who played roles ranging from loopy poets to vengeful Illinois Nazis and cranky judges during a 40-year film and television career, has died at age 73, his representatives said Wednesday.
    Gibson was a regular on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In," where he was known for popping up to read short, humorous poems during the show's 1968-71 run.
    He was a frequent guest star on television shows from the 1970s through the mid-2000s, with a recurring role as a judge on ABC's "Boston Legal" as late as 2008.
    His movie roles included turns in two of director Robert Altman's 1970s films, "Nashville" and "The Long Goodbye," and as the neo-Nazi leader pursuing John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd in "The Blues Brothers."

(...)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P.: Henry Gibson

Thanks Henry for all the laughs and great work! RIP

Comment

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate...

Nobody could crash a tricycle quite like 'enry.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Henry Gibson is synonymous with Laugh In for me. Whatta wonderful character.

Thanks for the laughs, Henry, and RIP...

Comment

Re: The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
          Nobody could crash a tricycle quite like 'enry.
          ...except that it was Arte Johnson who did that bit.

Comment

Re: The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate...

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            And that's the truth!

Comment

wasn't Henry Gibson the "Dirty Old Man" in some of the skits? I loved Laugh In & was a faithful watcher every week.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                wasn't Henry Gibson the "Dirty Old Man" in some of the skits? I loved Laugh In & was a faithful watcher every week.
                No, that was Artie too. Henry was the tea drinking priest/minister guy though.

Comment

OH no!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Did Arte die too?!
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Henry Gibson was great and he will be missed, I can't believe how many greats are passing away, especially the comics of that generation.

As far as I know Arte Johnson is still around. Dick Martin died not too long ago. Great show, I remember when Teresa Graves was on the show and she ended up doing her detective series GET CHRISTIE LOVE and several of her Laugh in buddies appeared on the show!

Aj

Comment

Re: OH no!

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Did Arte die too?!
                      No - but it was Mr. Johnson who rode the tricycle into things, then fell over sideways.

Henry Gibson's best known Laugh-In bit was to hold a giant flower whilst reciting his brief (and silly) poems. Peshkwe also recalled his priest character. Here's how Wikipedia described those bits (note the John Wayne parody): He often played "The Poet," reciting poems with "sharp satirical or political themes." Gibson would emerge from behind a stage flat, wearing a Nehru jacket and "hippie" beads and holding an outlandishly large artificial flower. He would state the "[Title of poem] — by Henry Gibson", bow stiffly from the waist, recite his poem, and return behind the flat. Gibson's routine was so memorable that John Wayne actually performed it once in his own inimitable style: "The Sky — by John Wayne. The Sky is blue/The Grass is green/Get off your butt/And join the Marines!", whereupon Wayne left the scene by smashing through the flat. Gibson also regularly appeared in the "Cocktail Party" segments as a Catholic priest, sipping tea. He would put the cup on the saucer, recite his one-liner in a grave and somber tone, then go back to sipping tea.

Comment

John starts out this comp of poetry sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWyAN2ZVERk
                        Last edited by Peshkwe; September 17, 2009, 05:59 PM. Reason: I lost my 'o'...By Henry Gibson....

Comment

His comedy style went over my head. I liked Paul Lynde because I could understand some of the jokes, and I could tell that he had the smartass kind of humor.

Comment

Working...
                          X