Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you say are the TOP 5 celebrities with Hawaiian connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would you say are the TOP 5 celebrities with Hawaiian connection?

1.braddah iz
    2.umm
    3.kid dynamite
    4.shilo pa
    5.keali'i reichel
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
      Rell Sunn, Queen of Makaha
      Heck YES! Shame on da rest of us for missing that one.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Of course Bradah Iz

Main Stream:
        Da Rock
        Keanu Reeves
        Kelly Hu
        Jason Scott Lee
        Tia Carrere

Sports...
        Egan and Enson Inoue
        Vitale Boy
        BJ Penn
        All da superbrawl fighterz
        Last edited by kaimipono; August 16, 2005, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaimipono
          Of course Bradah Iz

Main Stream:
          Da Rock
          Keanu Reeves
          Kelly Hu
          Jason Scott Lee
          Tia Carrere

Sports...
          Egan and Enson Inoue
          Vitale Boy
          BJ Penn
          All da superbrawl fighterz
          great. I have visions of Wesley Correira doing the Cabbage Patch after winning (which he hasn't done lately!)

What IS it about MMA events that makes the opio go creze?!? Seriously, I watch those dvds with my kids and offer them the benefit of my wicked expertise....you see those tatoos bebe? You know what they say about that boy? 'I only had $50 on that day to poke this one...I had $35 on that day to poke that one...'

((waves hands at the overall vibe while pronouncing))

it says "skin clutter!"

pax

Comment

2006...time to re-visit the subject now...

1. Michelle Wie
            2. Jack Johnson
            3. Ledward Kaapana
            4. Duane "Dog" Chapman (sheesh...have to put him in there)
            5. Bryan Clay

(just my opinion at the moment)

Comment

from what I hear from da mainland:

Martin Denny

Don Ho

Bruddah Iz

Henry Kapono

and yes, of course, Rell Sunn

Comment

the popularity of MMA is a bad thing for hawaii. frank delima coined a term called "blalah-itis", and MMA is only helping blalah-itis spread. you can't drive anywhere around leeward oahu without seeing a car with some sticker from some fighting "school" or someone wearing a t-shirt from one of these schools. although i've been a fan of UFC, PRIDE, and whatever else MMA feds there are out there, i don't like how popular it has become here in the islands. the fragile youth here in hawaii needs more positive influences and less violent ones. and don't even tell me that it teaches discipline and all that B.S. it was pretty embarrassing to see Niko Vitale's family members attacking Robbie Lawler after he had beaten Vitale fair and square.

That being said, here are my 5 top celebs with Hawaii ties (with celeb meaning someone popular in the public eye):

1. Michelle Wie - a budding media darling who is close to becoming a household name around the world, if she isn't one already.

2. Jack Johnson - nominated for 2 grammy awards, and neither were in the Hawaiian category!

3. Bruddah Iz - his music has been a stable on the world music charts for some time now.

4. Kelly Hu - film and tv star in the US and in Asia

5. Neil Everett - former KGMB sports Anchor is now a mainstay on ESPN's Sportscenter. what sports fan does NOT watch Sportscenter? Throws in a Hawaii reference at least once a show.

While people like Dan Inouye, Barak Obama, or Rell Sunn are definitely more influential than anyone on my top 5, they don't necessarily fall into the "celebrity" category, as they are deserving of more.

Comment

Maybe not in the top 5 but they made a splash on the mainland:

Brook Lee, Miss Universe 1997
                  Carolyn Sapp, Miss America 1992
                  Angela Baraquio, Miss America 2001

Comment

This is quite an impressive list we've compiled. Here are some others I've thought of.

You have to go back 45 years to stars of the TV show Hawaiian Eye to find former celebs: Robert Conrad, Connie Stevens, Poncie Ponce, and Troy Donahue.

Occasional guest stars included: Cloris Leachman, Mary Tyler Moore, Stella Stevens, Adam West, and Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

I don't think anyone mentioned Jim Nabors and George Harrison.

Frank Sinatra starred in several movies and made guest appearances in several Hawaii TV shows. He performed here many times. He encouraged Matty Jordan, his personal chef, to open his own restaurant - Matteo's on Kuhio.

Arthur Godfrey spent a lot of time here 60 years ago and mastered the ukulele.

Arthur Lyman recorded over 30 albums, toured the mainland and appeared on TV numerous times.

Clara Inter was famous on the mainland as Hilo Hattie.

Authors who have lived in hawaii include:
                    James Michner
                    Spencer Johnson ("One minute manager")
                    Johanna Lindsey (isn't famous, but has sold 54 million copies of dozens of romance novels)

If you look at non-celebs who made an impact on the world, you'd have to include:
                    Father Damien
                    Mother Marianne Cope
                    Gen. Eric Shinseki
                    Henry Kaiser
                    Hiram Fong
                    James Dole

Comment

Hmm, off the top of my head:

Barak Obama
                      Steve Case
                      Don Ho
                      Duke Kahanamoku
                      Jake Shimabukuro

Comment

Does Elvis Presley count at all?

He did a few of his films in Hawaii, he seemed to be very fond of Hawaii, and didn't he have a home in Hawaii as well? Not quite sure about the latter.

Comment

he may not be a celebrity by definition, but he is a mover and shaker in hollywood who'd not been named earlier in this thread:

christopher lee, iolani class of 1975, former tristar/columbia pics exec, director of UHM academy of creative media, founder of chris lee productions.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Hey, whatever floats your boat... It sounds nice to say that the people you burn music for will turn around and buy the CDs of the artists, but in reality not all of them do that. If you burn a CD, you're taking money out of the artists' pockets - plain and simple. Support Hawaiian music by BUYING it, not burning it.
                            Let's turn them in like when people cheat on taxes..........jerk.

Comment

Roy Yamaguchi
                              Alan Wong
                              Sam Choy
                              Jason Scott Lee
                              Loretta Ables Sayre

Comment

Well that won't happen but it's your conscious. I couldn't live with myself knowing I was
                                able to steal from others in such a way which is what this is and others have said so in other posts. iTunes would be the vehicle to let others know about music of all forms and the ability to PAY to enjoy it as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X