Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: a quick question

Originally posted by tutusue
    Wow! Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! "Susie Darlin'" and "Wake Up Little Susie" were my "signature" songs in junior high. I didn't know Robin Luke had any Hawaii ties.
    When Robin Luke recorded "Susie Darlin'", he was still going to Punahou School. From the Rockabilly Hall of Fame website:

In May 1958, in the bedroom in a downtown apartment, Punahou senior Robin Luke recorded "Susie Darlin'," backing up his own vocals with guitar and ukulele while someone else provided percussion using a cardboard LP cover, two pens and a stick.

The song became a national Top 10 hit.

A few years later, Luke simply disappeared from the charts, leaving a generation of radio listeners wondering what happened to him.
    The article goes on to say that Luke went on to a collegiate academic career. He appeared a few years ago at one of Tom Moffat's oldies shows at the Blaisdell Arena according to the article.

From a second article on the same page:

"Susie Darlin' " was written at the beach, Luke says. "It was originally called 'All Night Long' but when we changed the title, I used my sister's name to keep me out of trouble with any girlfriends," Luke said. His sister, Susie Robison, lives in Columbia, Mo., with her husband and two children, and works for the state, Luke said.
    Check it out: http://www.rockabillyhall.com/RobinLuke1.html
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And Lauren Graham - of Gilmore Girls (well many other things too).

Oh man...now I have a red face! Of course. Kelly! And, Malia Jones. And, Brooke Lee. And...and...and...

Comment

Preston is a 'stage name'. She attended Punahou, iirc, and used to audition with me when she was a teenager. As did Tia Carerre (also a stage name)! It's always exciting for me to see someone local get beyond the limited acting opportunities here and move on to bigger and better opportunities...not to mention, succeed. That's always Hawaii's loss, tho'.

Hey, just a note - the Travolta Florida "estate" will be the feature on next month's Architectural Digest.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          Amazing! Thanks, Mel. What an accomplished man Luke turned out to be. I just previewed the song at the iTunes Music Store. Memories.........

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            I would think that anyone that has even a remote or distant Hawaii connection is fair game. Probably the media may be a good measure of this as they continue to consider people like Jason Scott Lee, Bette Midler and Illinois Senator Barack Obama as homegrown product. I still hear music shows referring to the long debarted Robin Luke as being a Hawaii product. Luke was a one hit wonder teen idol from the 1950s who scored a huge top 10 hit with the song "Susie Darling". I don't think Robin Luke has lived in the islands for years.
            That would have to include Shirley Temple, then, as she is known to have been to Hawai'i and even meet her late husband there. Also, Elvis, also a mainland celeb, because he had his "Blue Hawaii" phase....
            Last edited by Rickyrab; October 15, 2005, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Ummm I know she's still a newbie but how about Michelle Wie?

Yvonne Ellman who doesn't know how to love Jesus (from the movie Jesus Christ Superstar...the song: I Don't Know how to Love Him.

And of course sweet little Jasmine Trias and what's her face from Maui.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Ummm I know she's still a newbie but how about Michelle Wie?

Yvonne Ellman who doesn't know how to love Jesus (from the movie Jesus Christ Superstar...the song: I Don't Know how to Love Him.

And of course sweet little Jasmine Trias and what's her face from Maui.
                "what's her face" is Camille Velasco, IHOP Princess.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh yeah the pancake girl.

Gotta admit though Jasmine has been out promoting herself better than Camille
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X