Jake Shimabukuro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jake Shimabukuro on Conan O'Brien

Finally got to watch, with co-workers (who are now even more disappointed that he couldn't stop in our office last time he was here in Seattle - but we'll try again next time!) Such fun to watch; he's a great guy, and a wonderful musician.
    It's a thrill to see the "next generation" of Hawaiian musicians that are really making their mark these days - Raiatea Helm, Herb Ohta Jr., Keoki Kahumoku, Jake, Makana, and so many more. Not only keeping the traditions alive, but opening new doors as well. It's a privilege to get to cross paths with them here on the Mainland - it must be even more so in the Islands!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
      Did you see when Conan stood up to shake Jake's hand? What a height contrast.
      Conan's something like 8'10" to begin with!
      Well...not really, but 6'6", iirc. He dwarfs many of his guests.

[...]Jake put on a national display of Ukulele virtuosity at its finest.
      That he did. He's brought a new audience and appreciation to that instrument. I'm still smiling over his own excitement. He was just so thrilled and not afraid to show it.

Comment

I have to get to sleep early on "school nights", but for Jake I stayed up late. Always gives me chicken skin to hear him play. He really kicked okole! (Or, "put steel toe to chocolate box".)

Originally posted by tutusue
        Conan's something like 8'10" to begin with!
        Well...not really, but 6'6", iirc. He dwarfs many of his guests.
        Tell me about it. Here's a screen-cap of when I did the Late Late Show last year. Kilby was tall, too. I feel ya, Jake!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata
          I have to get to sleep early on "school nights", but for Jake I stayed up late. Always gives me chicken skin to hear him play. He really kicked okole! (Or, "put steel toe to chocolate box".)[...]
          Bwaha! You have such a way with words, Paul!!! And...you're right! I just finished burning DVDs for my kids on the mainland (who I forgot to notify...bad mom; bad, bad mom!) and I never tired of Jake's performance while burning then verifying each DVD! He kicked major okole. What a nerve-wracking experience but he handled it with grace. Whatta pro. And kudos to his back-up musicians. As mentioned earlier, they were tight. It was fun to see the usually serious Noel Okimoto break out in smiles of "we're nailing it" approval!!!

I burned a couple of extra DVDs in case anyone who didn't see the show would like a copy...not the entire show, just Jakes appearance. I'll mail them to the first 2 people who PM me with snail mail addresses...no charge. Mele Kalikimaka!

As for you, Paul? HT is counting on you to notify us of your upcoming, nationally aired gigs. Ya hear?! I'm pulling for you and Jake to appear on Leno on the same night! This State would come to a stand still for that hour if that happened. Maybe throw in an interview with Tia Carrere and Michelle Wie to make it an all Hawaii night. I don't think I could stand the excitement!

Comment

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or just tack this discovery on to an old thread! So, old thread it is! And this has nothing to do with Conan!

I just noticed that digital cable, the smooth jazz Music Choice channel 829, played a selection from Jake's 'Dragon' CD. They feature some great artists on that channel and it was a thrill to see Jake amongst them.

I'm not familiar with the music choice channels. Does the programming run nationwide on digital cable? Or, does Oceanic, locally, subscribe to specific channels that they feel fit Hawaii's demographics? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              I'm not familiar with the music choice channels. Does the programming run nationwide on digital cable? Or, does Oceanic, locally, subscribe to specific channels that they feel fit Hawaii's demographics? Just curious.
              If it's specifically Music Choice, those channels are programmed for nationwide use by cable systems. DirecTV dropped Music Choice last November, in favor of XM Satellite Radio.

Subscribers to Dish Network get music channels programmed by Muzak, which includes my Hawaiian music program (ch. 981.) We play Jake's music in that program, as well as in some custom mixes for specific clients.

I don't know if Oceanic selects specific channels to use, or takes the entire bundle offered by Music Choice.
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; July 7, 2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

FWIW) I'm seeing Jake at The Triple Door in Seattle tonight and tomorrow night, and he's coming by our office for a mini-performance tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  FWIW) I'm seeing Jake at The Triple Door in Seattle tonight and tomorrow night, and he's coming by our office for a mini-performance tomorrow.
                  Jake must really love Seattle. Isn't this like his 3rd or 4th trip to Seattle in the last year? (BTW: Leo, I saw you playing bass at the ID Seafair celebrations on Sunday We went to Mai Kahiki Mai on Saturday)

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Jake must really love Seattle. Isn't this like his 3rd or 4th trip to Seattle in the last year? (BTW: Leo, I saw you playing bass at the ID Seafair celebrations on Sunday We went to Mai Kahiki Mai on Saturday)
                    I guess he does - since his first Seattle show almost two years ago (Bumbershoot - Sep. '04), he's also played Kirkland & Kent (Oct. '05), Benaroya Hall (Apr. '06), and now three nights at Triple Door (2 shows + a private party.) I've been fortunate to emcee every show, except Benaroya.

Thanks for the note about the ID show - that's always a fun gig, and it was nice to see (smooth jazz pianist) Deems Tsutakawa as emcee; I'm going to see him play at Rainier Square this afternoon. He said he usually gets a few Honolulu gigs every year, though I'm not sure where.

Comment

Re: Jake Shimabukuro

Jake came by today (along with his wonderful manager, Kaz) and entertained the music-heads (and a few guests) in our office today, played five tunes, talked about technique for each one, then spent another half-hour or more posing for photos (I'll try to post some when I get some from the AF's new digital camera) and just talking about music, touring, martial-arts, food (he's from Hawai`i, so...)

As one of my co-workers put it: how is it possible to be both so talented and so nice?

Concert #2 is in about an hour-and-a-half...

Comment

Darned shame that you've shut off accepting private messages and e-mails, Leo. I wanted to share something with you privately that could've really enriched your experiences with Jake.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Sorry - I shut off PM long ago, when a troll went after me. They are gone, I forgot to turn it back on --- until your reminder. Mahalo, LikaNui.

Comment

Just bumped into him in downtown Seattle, post-lunch; he and manager are off to get him a haircut. He's doing a private gig here in town tonight.

Comment

As promised:

Comment

Dood can play!

Comment

Working...
                                X