Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who have you met or who do you want to meet in the Hawaiian music industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who have you met or who do you want to meet in the Hawaiian music industry?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Thank you - that's all it was meant to be, before some people came by to piss on the thread and twist the tone into something negative (and it preceded your comment, MW.)
    Funny, because it was MW's comment that contained the name-calling.

Piss on the thread? That's what you were doing by rattling off all the people you know. Taking part in the pissing contest.

Go ahead, forget the modesty and be proud of all the people you know. Feel good about it.

Us local folks will just hang back, with the knowledge that we're cool with pretty much all the same people... AND WE DON'T NEED TO BRAG ABOUT IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post

Why get so excited about meeting a musician?
      Why not ? If I met paul McCartney, I'd be excited. He pretty much changed the pop culture of the world. If you have a passion for music, the people you think are geniuses are exciting people to meet.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Howzit!

I have met quite a few people in da pas. I wen used to dance and sing in a few shows. Does anybody ever rememer Follies Polynesia dat wen used to be in da International Market Place? Da old Duke Kahanamouko's showroom?

Comment

[...]I had heard how much IZ enjoyed communicating via the internet; the new "IZ: Voice of the People" book addresses that as well.[...]
          Iz was on an email list that both PZ and I were on. Unfortunately he unsubbed because of the ridiculous behavior of one rotten apple.

Comment

The Alpha Female reminded me of more "met" listers:
            Kelly Boy DeLima
            Melveen Leed
            Cindy Combs (who made me dance "`Ulupalakua" for a televised concert)
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 8, 2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Iz was on an email list that both PZ and I were on. Unfortunately he unsubbed because of the ridiculous behavior of one rotten apple.
              I'm glad I wasn't that rotten apple because we remained in correspondence up until he couldn't type any more...(and now that I think back... I wish I would have saved his correspondences somewhere for my son to read.)

And addressing the thing you MeNtiOned where IZ typed like that.... he also misspelled many words and wouldn't give a damn about it!
              NO one was correcting him the way they scrutinize some other people about their spelling....as you always knew braddah was talking from his heart.

What ever happened to old IRC chatrooms??? Don't see to many around anymore?
              Last edited by damontucker; October 8, 2006, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I'm sure it's not just you, although I do think you're making a bit of a presumption here about what belongs on HT.
                I think you may be the one making presumptions. I never said this type of thread doesn't belong on HT.I said this is the type of thread that one can expect to see on a messageboard like Hawaii.com.

akrauth is a big fan of Hawaiian music, and doesn't happen to live in Hawai`i, but likes to discuss something that is important to him; is Hawaiian music something that should be kapu to mainlanders? (And if you really think so - pose that question to those musicians who presently tour or would like to tour outside Hawai`i.) I would expect that many of you have strong connections of one sort or another to Island musicians, likely stronger and more enduring ones than those of us who are off-island - who ever said you didn't? How did this thread get such an "I'm better friends with them than you'll ever be" tone, just based on the simple question of the thread title? (And please note - it was not the mainlanders who steered it in that direction...)
                Speaking of being presumptuous...where in my post did I refer to Hawaiian music being kapu to those who live elsewhere? While you're at it, perhaps you can quote the part of my post where I made mention of being better friends with so and so than the rest of you. You're really grasping at straws here.

I would also expect you to have a different perspective to "these types of threads" - just as those of us who make our living in entertainment professions have a different perspective; sorry if mine doesn't resonate with you, but that doesn't make it any less in value.
                Again, what part of my post made mention to your perspective being of any less value? I said our perspectives were different, what part of that can be construed as being "better"? Why do you and those who think like you always feel a need to defend yourselves?

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieP View Post
                  Howzit!

I have met quite a few people in da pas. I wen used to dance and sing in a few shows. Does anybody ever rememer Follies Polynesia dat wen used to be in da International Market Place? Da old Duke Kahanamouko's showroom?
                  Aloha AuntieP! This is a Hot Thread....welcome to HT! Was F.P. during the 70's? I remember Tiki's at the IMP. Swinging days!!

I love your screen name. Looking forward to seeing you on the boards.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                    I never said this type of thread doesn't belong on HT.I said this is the type of thread that one can expect to see on a messageboard like Hawaii.com.
                    where in my post did I refer to Hawaiian music being kapu to those who live elsewhere? While you're at it, perhaps you can quote the part of my post where I made mention of being better friends with so and so than the rest of you. You're really grasping at straws here.
                    Again, what part of my post made mention to your perspective being of any less value? I said our perspectives were different, what part of that can be construed as being "better"?
                    I cannot defend against your manipulation of your own posts, sorry. If you read the entire thread again, perhaps you will recognize that I am referring to several posts, not just yours.
                    Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                    Why do you and those who think like you always feel a need to defend yourselves?
                    You wouldn't like my answer to that, and we've gone way off-topic too much already.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 9, 2006, 07:58 AM.

Comment

But, if both of you stop by my office I'll show you a framed photo of Don Ho hanging on a wall! The Beamer Bros., too. And, a few others! <ggg>

Ok, I gotta ask...since I eventually wanna meet Pali and get him and the guys on my walls....

What kinda rigging did you use to get Don Ho hanging on the wall long enough to take a picture? Same with the Beamer Brothers?

How'd you get em up there comfy enough that they weren't wriggling around over much and making pain induced funny faces? How'd you reinforce the walls without the support apparatus interfearing with the overall esthetics of the shot??

.....unless that was the look you were going for.......

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        [...]How'd you get em up there comfy enough that they weren't wriggling around over much and making pain induced funny faces? How'd you reinforce the walls without the support apparatus interfearing with the overall esthetics of the shot??[...]
                        Was easy! I framed 'em in such a way that their chins are resting on the bottom of the frame. They have yet to complain! The wall's not faring as well due to other unmentionable reasons!

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                          What kinda rigging did you use to get Don Ho hanging on the wall long enough to take a picture?
                          I would assume suction cups for Don Ho, then just "Suck 'Em Up."

Comment

Was easy! I framed 'em in such a way that their chins are resting on the bottom of the frame. They have yet to complain! The wall's not faring as well due to other unmentionable reasons!

Ahhhh....sounds like you need to find more studs.

Comment

I would assume suction cups for Don Ho, then just "Suck 'Em Up."
                              Somehow that sounds so much more warped than the duct tape and bailing wire I'd first imagined.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.....like it!

Comment

Last night I met Lawrence Kidder...

...then as I was walking away, I heard him mumble, "frickin' always like boddah' me fo' take pictahz. Pesseses".

Nah joke. Super, super cool braddah and funny too! He also plays at the Maitai bar in Ala Moana.

One of those guys that can play and sing just about anything you request. I so envy that talent. It's usually him or Haumea Warrington at Duke's 10pm gig.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X