No announcement yet.

Shawn Ching's comment on Lindsay Lohan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shawn Ching's comment on Lindsay Lohan?

I just checked the broadcast and Ching said "unbelievable." Pretty innocuous, really. I'm not sure that'd be accurately called editorial, but one would think that if you're an anchor on a local news show, you'd find a better word than "unbelievable." I'm fairly certain that news directors strive for credibility.

As far as Lohan goes, I think she's hot. She was good in "Prairie Home Companion." Too bad she's a coke fiend. Nothing attractive about that.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

Last night on Leno I guess LL was supposed to be one of his guests, but after what happened....

Anyway, Leno remarked about the drug rehab program she went to: "I hope she kept the reciept."

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        It's not that they can't, or aren't allowed... it's just that some people might frown upon unnecessary editorializing by someone who is supposed to deliver the news in an objective manner.
        I hear you, and I mostly agree. Hawaii viewers have made it clear that they LIKE editorializing by their journalists, otherwise Joe Moore wouldn't have been #1 for as long as he has. I was wondering why the OP thought Ching couldn't say that.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          I was wondering why the OP thought Ching couldn't say that.
          I wondered the same thing. And perhaps the OP doesn't know that Shawn Ching is also an attorney, so it's a safe bet that he's pretty aware of what boundaries he can or can't cross.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I wondered the same thing. And perhaps the OP doesn't know that Shawn Ching is also an attorney, so it's a safe bet that he's pretty aware of what boundaries he can or can't cross.
            you ever met a lawyer who met a boundary s/he wouldn't cross?

pax

Comment

I hear you, and I mostly agree. Hawaii viewers have made it clear that they LIKE editorializing by their journalists, otherwise Joe Moore wouldn't have been #1 for as long as he has. I was wondering why the OP thought Ching couldn't say that.
              Well, it's really not up to Joe Moore or Shawn Ching to decide if they can or can't say something... it's up to the News Director.

IMO, what Ching personally thinks of Lohan doesn't really matter to me... and I don't want to hear it during the news. Shut up and get to Kekaula so he can do his sports report.

Comment

Well, it's really not up to Joe Moore or Shawn Ching to decide if they can or can't say something... it's up to the News Director.

IMO, what Ching personally thinks of Lohan doesn't really matter to me... and I don't want to hear it during the news. Shut up and get to Kekaula so he can do his sports report.
                Word! That "witty banter" is usually nothing more than cloying, smug, self righteous palaver that makes up for the fact that the newscast lacks content. More news, less fluff, please. And sports. Definitely more sports. And by sports, I mean baseball.
                Don't be mean,
                try to help.

Comment

IMO, what Ching personally thinks of Lohan doesn't really matter to me... and I don't want to hear it during the news.
                  Amen to that. And I don't know why KITV's 5pm newscasts are now 30% or 40% about health items and healthy cooking tips. It's become a lifestyle show (note the word "show"), not a news program.
                  I'd been a KITV news fan for years, but I've had enough. Can't stand Joe Moore, so it'll be a tossup if KGMB or KHNL becomes my new fave. I'm guessing KGMB.

Shut up and get to Kekaula so he can do his sports report.
                  Right on. They oughta make him the News Director.

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                  Word! That "witty banter" is usually nothing more than cloying, smug, self righteous palaver that makes up for the fact that the newscast lacks content. More news, less fluff, please.
                  Amen to that too. A-freakin-men!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                    Can't stand Joe Moore
                    How many years has he been mispronouncing Kane`ohe now?

Comment

Actually, I would have liked to listen Kekaula's take on LiLo, especially when he has a daughter of his own.

I'd rather not listen to any news about LiLo, Paris, Nicole, Britney, etc... but there they are. Sighs.
                      Last edited by Random; July 26, 2007, 09:34 PM.
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I don't mind editorializing by journalists, for the most part. It's when they get into their personal lives and self-promotion that I really get annoyed. Examples: How many times did Joe Moore need to remind viewers to catch his Will Rogers gig, and how much self-promotion will viewers have to endure regarding his "Prophecy and Honor" gig, and one would have thought the birth of his child was the second coming. Please. I tune to the news for news -- not an anchor man who ASSumes I give a rat's patootie about what he does on his days off to supplement his income. I'm not questioning the quality of Joe's productions or his strategic partners in these endeavors, but really....buy an ad if you want to promote your ventures, Joe. What a novel idea...
                        Last edited by MatildaRose; July 27, 2007, 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
                          Please. I tune to the news for news -- not an anchor man who ASSumes I give a rat's patootie about what he does on his days off to supplement his income.
                          What do you think of Kim Gennaula and Guy Hagi always talking about their family and off-camera interests and activities? I suspect their banter is a big part of their popularity (I like them separately but can't stand them together), but does it irritate you as much as Moore's sharing?
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

but really....buy an ad if you want to promote your ventures, Joe. What a novel idea...
                            It's the same sentiment I have ... but my target is on Apple iPhone, not Joe Moore.

Like LiLo, I'd rather not listen to any news about Apple ... unless it's bad.
                            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

What do you think of Kim Gennaula and Guy Hagi always talking about their family and off-camera interests and activities? I suspect their banter is a big part of their popularity (I like them separately but can't stand them together), but does it irritate you as much as Moore's sharing?
                              From my observations, it's usually Kim who initiates the personal stuff. Guy, at times, has appeared embarrassed by it and tries to cut it short. To answer your question, no; Kim and Guy are cutsey about it, while Joe's personal comments are more arrogance-based, IMO. This may be one of the reasons KHON continues to lose audience at 10 pm. KGMB is my primary local tv news source, and I like their team. Bottom line...I invite these folks into my living room to deliver the news. I'm not interested in hearing about or seeing photos of the Hagi's children sitting on Santa's lap, or Kim curled-up reading the latest Harry Potter book, or Joe consuming prime airtime trying to sell me something, when the only thing I bought into was watching the news. If Joe wants to advertise his latest gig, he should purchase air time just like everyone else. I know this sounds *itchy, doesn't it? Should this be under Pet Peeve of the Day..or Week or Month?

Comment

From my observations, it's usually Kim who initiates the personal stuff. Guy, at times, has appeared embarrassed by it and tries to cut it short. To answer your question, no; Kim and Guy are cutsey about it, while Joe's personal comments are more arrogance-based, IMO. This may be one of the reasons KHON continues to lose audience at 10 pm. KGMB is my primary local tv news source, and I like their team. Bottom line...I invite these folks into my living room to deliver the news. I'm not interested in hearing about or seeing photos of the Hagi's children sitting on Santa's lap, or Kim curled-up reading the latest Harry Potter book, or Joe consuming prime airtime trying to sell me something, when the only thing I bought into was watching the news. If Joe wants to advertise his latest gig, he should purchase air time just like everyone else. I know this sounds *itchy, doesn't it? Should this be under Pet Peeve of the Day..or Week or Month?

I don't mind the banter. I like Kim and Guy.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X