Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

I went to see this new Indiana Jones movie today at Dole Cannery. I generally agree with most of the posts that previously appeared in this thread. This is certainly not the best of the Indiana Jones movies. I reserve that for the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. Back then the whole concept was new even though it was a rehash of early short serials.

Tonight I watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade because I am trying to decide now, which one is my 2nd favorite of the 4 movies... and I think I have to go with Last Crusade because well, Sean Connery is in it and I think the story is just a slight tad better.

As for the Crystal Skull, certainly there are some holes in this, but not enough for me to not enjoy the movie. Certain parts of the movie brought a couple of TV shows to mind. Indiana Jones meets the X Files is a given. I can almost see a future sequel where "Mutt" has an entanglement with aliens, and almost expecting Scully and Muldaur to show up.

For those who remember the old Michael Mann TV series, Crime Story, the nuclear blast certainly reminded me of the first season cliffhanger, where 2 underworld charcters get caught up at a Nevada test site and the place blows up... and they also survive with nary of an ill effect from radiation.

And then there is "Mutt". So like father/son/dog???? I liked having Marion back. Pretty much this can be the last movie in the series and I'd be happy at that.

I was trying to figure out what scenes were shot on the Big Island... I think they ended up being the chase through the forest scenes and some of the waterfall scenes... at Boiling Pots in Hilo, doctored up later in post production?
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

interesting article on where cast stayed on BI..

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/hawaii_...stal_skull.htm

Anyhoo, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I have seen the others, and even saw the original at the Egyptian in los Angeles way back opening week. I think ALL Indiana Jones movies require a suspension of disbelief (or belief??). You all forget that he jumped with a raft out of a plane onto the Indian jungle? or the Nazi's being decimated by some supernatural force? So many other hard to believe scenarios, but that's what movies are about sometimes..

It seemed they were perhaps setting up Shia to be the next Indiana perhaps with that scene at the end?
      Last edited by Kaukura; May 31, 2008, 11:21 PM.
      n'importe

Comment

I easily recognized certain scenes in the movie where they filmed on the Big Island. Specifically the jungle chase scene,and the Peruvian jungle scenes.
        I would figure the waterfall scenes were filmed here on the Big Island too.
        But I don't know any place on the Hilo side with waterfalls like that.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
          But I don't know any place on the Hilo side with waterfalls like that.
          Perhaps, but I think any scene can be composited and edited with computer shots to make something ordinary seem extraordinary. Remember "Industrial Light & Magic" is behind all of the SPFX shots. Anything is possible.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            And then there is "Mutt". So like father/son/dog????
            They named the dog Indiana.

I liked having Marion back. Pretty much this can be the last movie in the series and I'd be happy at that.
            Bring back Short Round for Indy 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
              ...I think ALL Indiana Jones movies require a suspension of disbelief (or belief??). You all forget that he jumped with a raft out of a plane onto the Indian jungle? or the Nazi's being decimated by some supernatural force? So many other hard to believe scenarios, but that's what movies are about sometimes..
              * the f _ _ _ _ _ scene is just one of the many impossible scenes in the movie and your mentioning the raft reminded me of the waterfall scenes in the latest movie! now if anyone temporarily suspends disbelief for that scene, then anything--and i mean anything--is fair game!!!
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
                They named the dog Indiana.
                Yes, that was the dog's name, but Henry Jr. picked it for himself. I guess he hated being called JUNIOR.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaukura View Post
                  You all forget that he jumped with a raft out of a plane onto the Indian jungle?
                  They only jumped in that condition because the plane was in trouble (note this refers to the 2nd Indiana Jones movie).

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  * the f _ _ _ _ _ scene is just one of the many impossible scenes in the movie and your mentioning the raft reminded me of the waterfall scenes in the latest movie!
                  The funny segment of that scene was just before going off the final waterfall Indiana just took off his hat and held on to it really tight.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    Yes, that was the dog's name, but Henry Jr. picked it for himself. I guess he hated being called JUNIOR.
                    I could be wrong, but I think I heard somewhere in the film that Mutt is actually Henry Jones III. But that would be a little strange if it was his legal name and he didn't even know.

Comment

Yes, the mom did say that ("he's Henry Jones III) but I think his birth name was Henry Jones III but when she married the Williams guy when Mutt was a baby, the Williams guy must have adopted him and his name became Henry Williams. He must not have liked Henry so he called himself Mutt - he didn't even know his mom's name was Marian (he knew her as Mary Williams) so it's not that farfetched that he didn't know his own real name... but really, it'll hurt your brain if you try to put to much thought into it! Even though I already have!
                      Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

SO glad I didn't look at this thread until AFTER seeing the movie. Some of you need helen to teach you how to use spoilers.

Comment

So the wife and I finally watched this movie. I voted for Wall-E but I think the Mrs. has a Harrison Ford crush. Not a terribly interesting story, but it was an OK ride. Someone had a crying child in our theater

My favorite scene is when they are chased out of the temple and onto the grass and sun. It reminded me of the video game Serious Sam. It took me to a better place.
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
                          X