Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Golden Compass controversy

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Yeah, we genre fans always get the shaft. Or worse. Have a sci-fi film starring Tom Cruise.
    *hurls*

bleh--long ago i decided that i'll never watch another tom cruise flick. so if he somehow ends up in a trek or btvs movie, i'll be sick.

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    ....T3 should not have been made...

((cat hiss))
    *cheers*

Originally posted by Random View Post
    Yeah, we speak as one.
    you are the borg? are you klingon borg who smiles?

back OT, i know of at least one prominent catholic nun in hawaii who had no problems reading da vinci code; if golden compass piques her interest, i'm sure she'll go see it without any qualms.

if one were really hard core catholic (and when i say hard core, i mean like the inquisition, auto-da-fe yo ass hard core), one wouldn't read fiction at all anyway, bcs fiction = lies = sin = evil = burning yo ass in hell in addition to suffering an earthbound flaming of the netherlands and other body parts.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Okay, I read the books (I admit, I didn't see the movie yet), so I can express an opinion on the 'controversy'. I found nothing to indicate Pullman is against anything other than ignorance and repression in any form. He clearly advocates a personal investigation of 'reality' and self determination of 'right and wrong' in this series. In the end, his examples of self-sacrifice for the greater good appear to advocate the highest of ethical behavior. His representation of an 'evil' church is clearly not representing our world, but a very different place [with some trivial similarities].
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Saw the DVD for this movie at the Don Quijote $5.99 bargain bin.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
        X