X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Five-Year Engagement

The Five-Year Engagement (2012)
    Emily Blunt, Jason Segel, Rhys Ifans, Mindy Kaling

I do love me some Emily Blunt. Pairing her with Jason Segel seems like a can’t-lose proposition, and for the most part it’s an effective match-up. Blunt is Violet, a post-doctoral psychologist, and Segel is Tom, a sous chef in a nice San Francisco restaurant. The film begins with their becoming engaged, a year after their meeting. Their wedding is delayed when Violet’s sister needs to get married first, and delayed another two years when Violet is accepted into a program at the University of Michigan where she studies people’s inability to delay gratification even when promised something better very soon. Yeah, it’s not a very subtle metaphor.

Tom is agreeable all the way, taking a fry-cook job in a small diner that doesn’t challenge him as a chef, and trying to carve out some kind of life in this place he never intended to find himself. Violet has colleagues and a purpose, but Tom’s adjustment is much more of a strain.

When the marriage is delayed another two years so Violet can assist her mentor with a research grant, Tom goes off the deep end, and the relationship is tested beyond reasonable expectation.

It’s mostly a romantic comedy, and as in all romantic comedies there is a valley, a low point in the relationship which the couple must climb out of so it can get to the happily-ever-after part. The trouble with the valley in The Five-Year Engagement is that it’s very believably written, very believably acted, and very emotionally effective. And just as frequently happens in real life, the first bounce-back doesn’t stick. This section of the film is so well done that as a viewer, I wasn’t quite ready for the resolution. Sure, I was happy for the couple, but Tom and Violet had months to sort through their feelings, not to mention physical distance and emotional space. I only had half an hour in a dark theater, and that wasn’t enough healing for me, not even with assistance of a box of Junior Mints.

Supporting characters are interesting, especially Violet’s sister and brother-in-law, who play a shallower, cruder, less-smart foil for our happy couple, quick to meet and get married, impossibly made happy by the silliest shared moments, and unencumbered by professional goals or the ability to delay any kind of gratification. Violet’s colleagues at Michigan are also fun, if slightly cartoony, particularly Mindy Kaling who is always good in these roles. Rhys Ifans as Violet’s mentor is annoyingly cliche, complete with accent and intellectual aloofness. It disappoints me that this part couldn’t have been written with the same kind of believability as most of the rest of this film.

Violet and Tom are smart, likable, and funny, so it is good to see them get to happily-ever-after. It’s just kind of a rough ride, and the usual feel-good conclusion doesn’t feel good enough to me, a testimony to how realistic many of the plot elements are. It’s as if by being a little more real than your standard romantic comedy, the movie throws off the formula just enough to make it feel not quite as good. This should make it a better film, but I’m not sure it does. I think I need to see it again.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
    73/100 (Criticker rating)
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: The Five-Year Engagement

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    The Five-Year Engagement (2012)
    Emily Blunt, Jason Segel, Rhys Ifans, Mindy Kaling

Violet’s colleagues at Michigan are also fun, if slightly cartoony, particularly Mindy Kaling who is always good in these roles.
    Does she play a self-centered young American woman? She didn't do an Indian woman stereotype that American television are comfortable portraying.

Comment

I don't get your question, or the statement that follows it. Are you saying that her part in The Office was a stereotype and that TV networks were uncomfortable with it?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't get your question, or the statement that follows it. Are you saying that her part in The Office was a stereotype and that TV networks were uncomfortable with it?
        If her roles had an Indian accent. That means the mainstream PC media would stereotype her as a humble immigrant. Her American accent portray her as a spoiled American woman of color much like Kim Kardashian.

Comment

Kim Kardashian is a woman of color? What's her ethnicity?

Do you mean Kaling's character in The Office? I haven't seen the American production of that series. Or do you mean Kaling herself? Because that's not at all how she projects herself. She's extremely self-deprecating on TV talk-show appearances. Or are you asking about her role in this film?

In this film, she speak with the American accent you would expect of a second-generation Indian American. Her character is a Ph.D. in psychology. I don't think she comes across as a spoiled American at all in this flick and I don't think anyone would be surprised to see her in this role.

She also played an M.D. in No Strings Attached with no Indian accent and I don't remember anyone being surprised about that either, or saying anything about being a spoiled American.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just looked her up, and Kim Kardashian doesn't appear to have one drop of non-white blood in her, so the comparison is really puzzling me now.

Kim Kardashian is the fortunate daughter of a celebrity lawyer and the step-daughter of a former American Olympian. Outside of being a celebrity, she doesn't seem to have done much.

Mindy Kaling was born in Cambridge. She's the daughter of an architect and a gynecologist. She graduated from Darthmouth; she writes many of the episodes of The Office. She's written a book of essays. I don't see how anyone could see her either as a spoiled American woman of color (or just a spoiled American woman) or a stereotype.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?q=women...w=1366&bih=576

Kim Kardashian is a woman of color? What's her ethnicity?
              According to this listings, she qualifies to be a woman of color.

Comment

I don't mean to keep riding this horse, but I'm trying to understand where you're coming from. That link goes to page 2 of a Google Images search, and I don't see Kim Kardashian anywhere on there. Search results can vary from user to user (I have safe search turned off; if you have it on, you won't see what I see), but even if I saw Kim Kardashian in that search result, I don't think that means she's actually a person of color, wouldn't you agree?
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                X