Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

Roger Ebert is actually quite a lowbrow aficionado, at least when compared to his late critic pal Gene Siskel. I trust Ebert's taste because he likes the same kinds of movies I do, and usually for the same reasons. I agree that the Salon reviewer dragged the race thing out a little too far, but I have noticed that a lot of people in America do that.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      But there are several crosswalk buttons in Honolulu that are actually part of the intersection light control system.
      t'aaanks. was hoping to get da lowdown li dat!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        . I trust Ebert's taste because he likes the same kinds of movies I do,

I like his reviews the best cuz he it the most culturally literate, most well spoken critic on the face of the earth. Illuminating aspects of the film no one else comes close to, or could. In ways that are verbally poetic. And he is a diehard mac man.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          t'aaanks. was hoping to get da lowdown li dat!
          The most obvious one is the traffic light on Auahi Street between Ward Warehouse and Farmers Market. It stays green all the time, unless someone pushes the walk button. Then, assuming it's been at least [some minimum time] since the last cycle, the traffic light immediately turns yellow and then red, allowing the pedestrian to cross right away.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            If that is the case we who passed on the flik didn't miss a thing.
            The effectiveness of comedy depends on a great many things, not the least of which are situation and character. Obviously, without having seen the film, it might be hard to appreciate the humor of the situtation and I ask that you not judge the film based on your not finding this line amusing. Gene Siskel was fond of saying that you cannot convince people that something is funny and you cannot convince people that something is sexy. I imagine that you would find the line quite funny if you saw it in context, but of course, as I wrote above, I also could never give a blanket recommendation for this film; the issues I bring up in my review have the most to do with the portrayal of Asian Americans in a decidely un-Asian-American major studio release, and it is only on that basis that I can recommend the film.

BTW; did you know; NONE of these buttons are attached to anything. They are simply a fixture bolted to the sides of poles. Merely a response to demands that buttons for crosswalks are put in.
            but they have no effect.
            As a longtime pedestrian and short-time bus-rider, and with all due respect, I can quite firmly say that you are wrong. Many intersections are set during certain hours to remain green in favor of one street over its intersecting street. If a car does not pull up to the intersection facing the red light, the light will remain red until the time-cycle-change kicks in, which is probably around five or six in the morning. Some intersections remain triggered this way around the clock.

A good example (good because I cross there every day) is the intersection of Nimitz and Valkenburg, right near the Moanalua Shopping Center. Even when the Valkenburg light changes green, the pedestrian walk/don't-walk sign remains set on "don't walk" and the duration of the light is shorter if the button is not pressed. Another example is on University Avenue near Sinclair Library; often, I'll stop at the corner, assuming that at least one of the ten or so fellow pedestrians has already pushed the button, but when the light changes, the walk/don't-walk sign remains on "don't walk."
            Last edited by scrivener; January 13, 2005, 02:28 PM.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              Another example is on University Avenue near Sinclair Library; often, I'll stop at the corner, assuming that at least one of the ten or so fellow pedestrians has already pushed the button, but when the light changes, the walk/don't-walk sign remains on "don't walk."

as before; "t'aaanks. was hoping to get da lowdown li dat!"

Comment

Working...
              X