Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Princess Ka'iulani film

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
    Althea Janairo sounds Filipino to me. Q'orianka may have Scot in her, her cousin is singer Jewel , so maybe

I do believe the Kilcher's (Jewel and Q'orianka) are Swiss. Maybe German.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
      It will be a scandal if the actress isn't half Scots.
      Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
      It's different because she was a Hawaiian princess and the movie is about Hawaiian history.
      Reminds me of the "joy" I felt when a certain mediocre actor-director took on the role of one of my direct Scots ancestors, William Wallace. But that didn't seem to cause much of a stir, perhaps due to the overall indifference summed up by the schoolteacher to which Buzz referred.
      For some reason, I'm reminded of the time one of my daughters was in public elementary school, and Lei Day was approaching and the kids were all preparing their various ethnic displays, and the teacher — meaning to be kind, I assume — explained to her, "You're a haole, so you're nothing. So we'll make you an honorary Portuguese!"
      As for the dumbass elementary school teacher, she was trying to be helpful, but like many, she made the assumption that haoles have no ethnic heritage. It is treated as a blank spot to be ignored.
      I realize that there are multitudes in Hawai`i who would be outraged by such an attitude (some right here on this board), but at the same time, you can not deny that this is an attitude amongst many Island residents - white=absence of 'color'=absence of culture.

Not looking for explanation or apology or outrage - just acceptance that this does occur, quite openly and regularly. Doesn't mean anyone here thinks it's okay. But it is still racist, nonetheless, and needs to be remembered at those times when people claim that only haoles exhibit such behavior.
      Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      I do believe the Kilcher's (Jewel and Q'orianka) are Swiss. Maybe German.
      Q'orianka's bios claim that her father is Peruvian and mother is Swiss - born in Germany, and with American ancestors as well (the Alaska connection.)
      Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 15, 2007, 06:43 AM.

Comment

The whole point of acting is to be able to step into someone else's skin. Does this mean that Jason Momoa should not be allowed to play an alien on "Stargate Atlantis"?

The gamble the producers have on the Kaiulani movie will settle squarely on the shoulders of the person playing the princess. The Kamehameha movie was largely scuttled by insistance that only a pure Hawaiian could play the Warrior King. Which means, of course, that Kamehameha's extraordinary accomplishments will remain unknown to most of the world.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The whole point of acting is to be able to step into someone else's skin. Does this mean that Jason Momoa should not be allowed to play an alien on "Stargate Atlantis"?
          Not if his character is Santa Claus.

Then again, whoever said that Kris Kringle has to be White and/or German?

I guess it's a matter of pride. Many believe that if Hollywood producers look hard enough they can find race-specific actors/actresses for race-specific character roles.

As for Jason playing Ronon, I've always believe Polynesians come from a distant galaxy. That and Filipinos.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            As for Jason playing Ronon, I've always believe Polynesians come from a distant galaxy. That and Filipinos.
            I once gave a friend who worked on the "Star Trek" television franchise a hard time about not having any Polynesians in the cast.
            Burl Burlingame
            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Then again, whoever said that Kris Kringle has to be White and/or German?
              Same people who say Jesus was haole?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                Same people who say Jesus was haole?
                We grew up and are so used to the Western/European depiction of Christ in artworks and sculptures.

For all we know, he could look like Albert Einstein.

Comment

For all we know, he could look like Albert Einstein.
                  Or Osama Bin Laden.

(heat shields up)

Comment

Or maybe he wasn't white, maybe he was........... oh never mind, I'm not going to say it here.. I don't have a heat shield.

But, as for the original question. It doesn't matter to me who plays the princess, as long as the story is accurate.
                    Last edited by Mililani; June 17, 2007, 11:50 AM.
                    A proud sponsor of
                    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Or Osama Bin Laden.

(heat shields up)
                      Nah. I prefer a younger version of Hamid Karzai. Or the current King of Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
                        But, as for the original question. It doesn't matter to me who plays the princess, as long as the story is accurate.
                        If Gina Torres is playing the princess, I'd pay full ticket (not matinee) price.

Comment

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I am very hopeful that this film will be a sympathetic and accurate portrayal of the young ali'i Princess Ka'iulani -- from everything that I have read about the production thus far, it seems that they are trying to be as culturally sensitive as they can. I don't think this will be a "Disneyfied" version of her life at all.

I think it far more important to have an actress who can accurately convey that sense of coming from "two worlds" and her ultimately heartbreaking end which mirrored the end of the Hawaiian Monarchy. Such a contrast between her privileged up-bringing here in Hawai'i and years in Europe to her ending years here as an "Ex Princess." She truly lost the will to live after the Overthrow.

I have only seen the actress in "New World" - but she was absolutely wonderful in that -- she could convey worlds with her facial expressions alone and no dialogue. I especially remember the contrast between her freedom and happiness in America and her bewilderment and sadness in her final scenes in England.

They have also signed Costume Designer "Milena Canonero" - the winner of the Oscar for "Marie Antoinette" (as well as "Barry Lyndon" and "Chariots of Fire", nominated for "Out of Africa", etc.) -- so they are certainly not stinting on the production itself it seems.

Malama Pono,

Comment

The trailer for the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9PGflvRyLk
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Working...
                            X