Jelly's - Honolulu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jelly's - Honolulu

I'd say Iz was a talent waiting to be marketed, and would have been a massive success no matter who had him under contract, and many would possibly have done even better with him, and more to the benefit to all concerned.
    Mountain Apple's roster of big names seems to be deminishing, with Iz being the engine powering the whole thing, by far for some time now.

I alway's have had trouble with record companies sitting on tons of top quality material, but not putting it out.
    Gabby as another example, where the greatest Hawaiian musician has such a relatively small catalog from 30+ years worth of playing/recording.
    If the companies put out a public search for private recordings, they could have had given the public so much more to appreciate the artists even more. There is still lot's of stuff out there in some closets (and worse), but every day diminishes the chance of preserving it.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Makes you wonder where he and his label would be without Iz.
      For that matter, where would Iz have been without the early success of the Makaha Sons?
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        For that matter, where would Iz have been without the early success of the Makaha Sons?
        Hard to say as Israel was just a Kanaka braddah who loved to play his uke.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, I stopped by again. They're now open 10AM - 10PM. Parking is easy in the evening.

I ended up leaving with nine $1 CDs, four used, and one LP. The music is there, but not "crammed full". There's room more more stuff. Most of the other departments are rather empty. Books are there (kinda) but the shelves for comics, etc are empty.

Comment

I finally found some time to get to Jelly's Kakaako today. Parking is good on the weekends since the area is not as busy as weekdays. I suspect parking is good after 5 PM too. Here are some photos I shot:

Some high end dummies have apparently found a new home.

Old and new vinyl can still be found at Jelly's.... LPs and 45s (under this shelf).

CDs and video are plentiful. The gray shelves are the old ones from Tower Records.

Jelly's Kakaako has quite a stash of $1 CDs, 50¢ record albums, and 50¢ VHS videos. The book section still needs to fill the shelves, but the are books there. Paperbacks, hardbacks, etc. The games and comic shelves looked a little bare. CDs were plentiful. Prices for new CDs are high compared to what you can find online or at the big boxes. However used CDs are reasonable, and many sell for only a dollar. Plus you can preview the CDs on the players near the checkout counter before you buy. That is nice.

More photos:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/tags/jellys/
            Last edited by mel; April 13, 2008, 06:28 PM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I was expecting a dump, but that actually looks pretty good. I think I'll check it out after work sometime.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's nice. Looks like a record store. You can still smell the paint. In time I suspect, the place will get just as cluttered as the Aiea store and all of the Jellys' that preceded it. I did not notice any air conditioning on. They have several ceiling fans and a giant fan near the entrance/cash register area.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If there ever was a day to check out the new Jelly's store, it's today. It's Record Store Day. Support independent music stores!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    If there ever was a day to check out the new Jelly's store, it's today. It's Record Store Day. Support independent music stores!
                    So, did you go???

I was in there a few days before. I didn't get any further then the $1 CD stack. Ended up with 10 of them. (My standards are really low at that price!)

Comment

I went on Record Store day and ended up buying 5 $1 CDs and the "Back to the Future" 3 DVD set for $12. That used set is about $8 less than a brand new one at WalMart. Content is exactly the same, the 3 movies and bonus features.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Is Jelly's (or any other store) buying used CDs from the public?

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer View Post
                          Is Jelly's (or any other store) buying used CDs from the public?
                          You might try Rainbow Books on University Ave. across from Pucks Alley. I only purchase there and didn't do any selling.

Comment

Shirokiya also buys used CDs.

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                            You might try Rainbow Books on University Ave. across from Pucks Alley. I only purchase there and didn't do any selling.

Comment

Music Box Records was my spot as a kid, and it was also the place my mom and her sister bought records from as a kid. Like my mom, I too had a "membership" where once I bought 10 45's, I could get a free one. I mentioned this on another website, but had I not moved, I had hoped to work there. If anyone remembers the Japanese lady who owned the store, please let me know. I am eternally grateful for her generosity as a kid and giving me access to certain pressings I wasn't aware of.

Comment

How many incarnations has Jelly's sprung up over the years?

They've had so many shops, opened and closed, it's ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X