Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Language Rock and Roll

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    HW - it's considered rap music but you might want to listen to "Sudden Rush". They make some great music, and it's done with a lot of Hawaiian language included.
    I second that. Find their 2001 "EA" album (reissued in 2007 as part 3 of "The Trilogy"); their remakes of "Hi`ilawe" & "Hawaiian Eyes" are astounding. "Hi`ilawe" incorporates the classic Gabby Pahinui recording (with the family's blessing) into a piece that includes Hawaiian rapping; "Hawaiian Eyes" (the classic Jon & Randy song) gets updated into "Can You See Me Now (Hawaiian I'z)," a tribute to influential Island musicians no longer among us, complete with updated lyrics & guest vocals by Jon Osorio. Willie K, Amy Hanaiali`i and Fiji are also among the album's guests.
    Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
    He's gotta explain the whole "I may be gay but I like rock" bit.
    I may be straight, but I know my showtunes.

Comment

*takes thumbs off of Leo's juggular*

Welcome to HT, HW!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Dude...you lie!

Tell the truth now ...you know you a twisted suckah!

Comment

I second that. Find their 2001 "EA" album (reissued in 2007 as part 3 of "The Trilogy"); their remakes of "Hi`ilawe" & "Hawaiian Eyes" are astounding. "Hi`ilawe" incorporates the classic Gabby Pahinui recording (with the family's blessing) into a piece that includes Hawaiian rapping; "Hawaiian Eyes" (the classic Jon & Randy song) gets updated into "Can You See Me Now (Hawaiian I'z)," a tribute to influential Island musicians no longer among us, complete with updated lyrics & guest vocals by Jon Osorio. Willie K, Amy Hanaiali`i and Fiji are also among the album's guests.
          I prefer the "Ku'e" album but both are very good! I have an autographed copy of "Ea" - one of the guys chased all the others to make sure I got all the sigs on my copy. Like I said before - these are 4 really nice guys & very talented. I wish they would come out with a new album!

(and I like showtunes too!)
          Last edited by anapuni808; June 5, 2008, 11:39 PM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Hey I wanna know what kinda lube...is it good on horse?
            Hung horse especially.

I may be straight but I enjoyed the "New Wave".

"May" as in "despite" not "might". Giddy-yup Trigger.
            Last edited by sinjin; June 6, 2008, 05:14 AM.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              *takes thumbs off of Leo's juggular*
              Oh, is THAT what the guy was complaining about? There was a gentleman here a minute ago, tossing some clubs around in the air (I think he was one of the Flying Karamazov Brothers) and saying something about being "all thumbs" today; this would explain it.

(oh the joys of messing with spelling)

Comment

...Flying Karamazov Brothers.
                Loved those guys. Where are they? Ain't I a tangenterine? Somebody squeeze me.

And isn't it considered poor form to use "haole" in your handle? Sorry lurker.
                Heaps here, yes?
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Hey all:

Sorry, I go to bed early as I have to be up at 5am in order to get to work. Plus I get some grief at home if I'm on the internet at home too much. Pkus, I've been thumbing around the threads.

Thanks all for the recs of Hawaiian bands. I haven't gotten a chance to sample them all yet, but I will.

So, trying to address some things from earlier in the thread

Hey I wanna know what kinda lube...is it good on horse?
                  Only if the horse is in the right position and a willing participant.

I'm still trying to figure out how to quote multiple message, so bear with me (plus, I'm at work so I probably should be doing this anyway)...

>>Nahhh...he can't go yet! He's gotta explain the whole "I may be gay but I like rock" bit.<<

That was my lame ass attempt at saying I'm glad Judy Garland is dead. Seriously, don't know a lot of gay folks into serious rock so if there were any out there, I thought I'd wave a flag. Plus, it does also generally dispel any stereotypes people might have sequestered in the back of their minds. Bad idea, though.

>> second that. Find their 2001 "EA" album...<< Got a quick listen. Though the music isn't rock, I'm grrovin on the sounds and the feel behind the band.

So, my reason for starting this topic was that I'm working on a story that involves an Hawaiian rock band (coincidentially, I've named it "Ea") which sings primarily in Hawaiian. The take some of the old meles and rock them out and do cover versions of rock songs but with Hawaiian language. They have a little bit of a political bent to them but at heart they're a group of guys very connected with their home and in particular the language. I wanted to see if there was anything out there like that as (1) I wanna get it right and (2) I didn't wanna steal anybody's riff. Plus, I'm very big on rock (well, kinda any music although I'm not big on Reggae) in other languages.

I'll probably have lots of questions because when I do write about Hawai'i I want to get it right (well, as right as I can not living there.)

>>So, does this mean you're going to be a lurker forever (with possibilities of certain exceptions)?<<
                  Probably more so for right now so I get more of the feel, but I'll pop in when I have something relevant or a lame joke.

>>I, for one, would welcome your comments on Hawaii-based literature<<

I haven't read a lot and would always be open to book recs by Hawaiian writers. "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert was a great read, though the characters seemed to speak a little too contemporary. Mostly I'm reading history. "Betrayal of Lili'uokalani" was a great read. "The Colony" was a horrible read with stuff thrown in that was so out of context that even I (with my limited knowledge of Hawaiian history) could spot as an attempt to portray something not wholly accurate. I've read some bad "Hawaiian Erotica" that I really didn't care for.

>>for one thing, since you've written something that takes place in Hawaii.<<

I'm very proud of that piece although it is very, very different from anything I've written before. I did it as a challenge for myself and it ended up being the fastest sell I've ever had (less than a week from submission to acceptance, I think). Luckily, it has gotten great reviews in the genre (m/m erotica) and people seem to like it. It ain't perfect on all things Hawaiian, but I tired to get it right.

Anyhow...this is rambling. Gotten earn some daily bread. I'll try and contribute more later.

Comment

I dunno. But if there is a Hawaiian language rendition of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," give me a beep and link.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                    X