Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 51st Annual Grammy nominations - Hawaiian Music

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Thanks for sharing that! Probably will be a lot of folks happy that the Grammy voters have finally moved beyond slack key.
    As I recall, this is now Daniel Ho's fourth Hawaiian Grammy in the five years Hawaii has had a category, right?

I think it is, I think it will, I think they went with familiar names and I also think there needs more educating on the music of Hawaii.

We n' de ya ho was just plain weird....

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
      [...]I think they went with familiar names and I also think there needs more educating on the music of Hawaii.[...]
      We have the same two thoughts!

Comment

TAG!!!

You're it!

Comment

Probably will be a lot of folks happy that the Grammy voters have finally moved beyond slack key.
          And others that would be happy if that lead to at least a mention of Hawaiian steel guitar...

Congrats to Tia and Daniel!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Pali View Post
            ALOOOOOOHA from chilly L.A.!!!!...

Leo, I wrote "Supey Aloha" for my 2.5 year old dog.. he was an angel when it was bed time and when waking up in the morning, and a total happy psycho of a mutt the other 12 hours a day. He contracted a super rare form of cancer and had to be put down..

I decided to write something for him that represented his limitless energy and spunk, as a dedication to him. Ask any pet owner, animals become our children, and the amount of love and affection is the same-so this was my tribute to Supey (short for Superman).
            A Hui Hou!
            WOW Pali that's so awesome. Ur fully right, there are those that see our 4 legged babies as our kids. In fact the other day I told my kids my 4 legged babies are getting everything in my will. LMAO Not that I have much to leave.

Seriously though, I am so sorry about ur loss. I admire that u wrote ur baby a song. WOW. IF I was able to sing a note I would do the same. But I hate to say most likely my neighbors would call the police if I started singing over here. So maybe I'll just listen and enjoy urs instead

One of my babies is going in for surgery at the end of the month. He has a mast tumor that will be removed. Scares the heck out of me. There's no such thing as letting go easily. And believe me I won't. I'm just thankful every day I get to share with them even though the grand baby is now a full on food theif!!!! lol

Comment

As I recall, this is now Daniel Ho's fourth Hawaiian Grammy in the five years Hawaii has had a category, right?
              Absolutely correct.

I hope this brings additional attention to the less-credited contributor to the album, the lyricist for all the songs (except for the instrumentals, duh) - Dr. Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman, who is one of the world's leading scholars on mele.

The presentation clip is on KGMB's website - http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13908/245/
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; February 8, 2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Wow, Lee . . .
                This morning's Advertiser:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...902120326/1120

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                  Wow, Lee . . . This morning's Advertiser: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...902120326/1120
                  I saw that too and was shocked at Lee Cataluna's blatant bit*h-slap at Tia. Comments such as:

Not that she hasn't played Hawaiian characters before — as the voice of Lilo's sister Nani in that Disney movie, as well as a number of other forgettable projects.
                  But to win a Grammy for Hawaiian music? That's more than shape-shifting or play-acting. That's identity theft.

and

Her album is mostly music you'd hear in the background during a spa massage.

and

She hasn't stayed in one role for long, and what more can the role of "Hawaiian Musician" give her besides a Grammy? Will she release a mainstream album? Rap? Maybe next she can pass for Latin Grammy.

Needlessly vicious. Lee sounds jealous of Tia, is all.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Not one of Lee's better moments, I'm sorry to see. And it's a good album - much better (and more "Hawaiian") than her first.

Comment

Working...
                    X