Anuhea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anuhea

Maui's Anuhea hit #7 on I-Tunes with her debut self-titled album.

You can download her song free on I-tunes or go to www.onehawaiimusic.com/free/anuhea

Her album is also on sale at I-tunes for just $5.99 (for a limited time) so support local music by adding it to your collection.

Anu is the niece of Na Leo Pilimehana's Nalani Choy (so the music is definitely in her blood!)
    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Re: Anuhea

It's a nice pop album, I'll say that much - but no one should expect it to be a "Hawaiian" album. Didn't do anything for me, though, nothing exceptional about it.

Comment

She also hit #11 on the Billboard World Music Charts this week!

http://www.examiner.com/x-7007-Honol...d-Music-Charts

no one should expect it to be a "Hawaiian" album
      It's not a Hawaiian album (did I imply that it was?) As a former Hawaiian Immersion School and Kamehameha Schools student, Anuhea speaks Hawaiian fluently and she has indicated that she would like to do an album in olelo Hawai'i some day. She's got her hands full at the moment promoting this album but her future looks very promising.
      My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

The free iTunes track was only available last week. Happily I got it. It is probably best to get the album now while the price is low before she is "discovered" and the prices get jacked up accordingly.

I think it is nice when somebody from Hawaii can make good pop or rock music and break free of the tired old Hawaiian/Jawaiian music mold.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Saw her this morning on the KITV morning news show...sounded good (almost watched the whole song)...!

Comment

The free iTunes track was only available last week.
            You can still get a free download of her song at: http://www.onehawaiimusic.com/free/anuhea/

To hear her live, you can go to NextDoor in Chinatown tomorrow night (5/30) where she will be supporting Amos Lee. http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2677029/

Sunday (5/31) she's performing at the Twilight Concert Series at Gordon Biersch. This month's theme is "The Women of Hawaiian Music" featuring Sistah Robi Kahakalau, Anuhea and Natalie A'i Kamau'u.
            http://www.gohawaii.com/event?id=14035

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidiva View Post
              It's not a Hawaiian album (did I imply that it was?)
              No, not as such, but these lines:
              ... support local music ... Anu is the niece of Na Leo Pilimehana's Nalani Choy (so the music is definitely in her blood!)
              might lead some people to think it was Hawaiian music.

It's a nice debut (and I have often worked with the folks at her label - they are based here in Seattle) - but it's just a generic pop sound to my makule ears.

Comment

This is kind of old news, but is at the top of entertainment column at StarBulletin.com today:

Maui singer Jenkins' career gets boost from iTunes

Maui's Anuhea Jenkins appears to be on the right path with her burgeoning music career, thanks to a push from Apple's iTunes Music Store and faithful fans who know how to utilize social media on the Internet.

Jenkins' self-titled debut CD has been available for weeks, but thanks to the efforts of WorldSound Entertainment, she was named an "iTunes Featured Artist" and prominently displayed on the iTunes front page.

"Anuhea" peaked at No. 8 on the iTunes pop chart last month, ranking higher than releases by Jason Mraz, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry and Pink. One track off the album, "Right Love Wrong Time," was even offered as a free download last month, with more than 700,000 people taking the time to sample the tune.
                I picked up her album on CD this past week at WalMart for $9.88.

Downloaded the free track a few weeks ago.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Two guitars and a laptop were stolen out of Anuhea's truck this morning in Waikiiki. She is offering a reward for the return of the items. I hope she gets them back before she leaves for L.A. this week.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...Anuhea+Jenkins

Comment

That really stinks. That has happened to so many Hawai`i musicians in the past couple years (Led Kaapana, Tiffa Garza, Mike Kaawa, Cyril Pahinui); not all of those were stolen from vehicles, but it serves as a warning to all NEVER to leave instruments in a vehicle. I hope she gets 'em back very soon.

Comment

The guitars showed up at a pawn shop and have been returned to Anuhea. The computer is still missing.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...=2009906160352

I bet she has learned her lesson and won't leave valuables in the car again.

Comment

I bet she has learned her lesson and won't leave valuables in the car again.
                        Indeed a very hard lesson to learn. She was lucky to recover the guitar. I hope she gets the Mac back too.

I learned long ago never to leave valuables in a vehicle. People are just looking for any excuse to rip you off. So it is best not to ever leave anything that you consider valuable in a vehicle unlocked or locked for any period of time... even 5 minutes or less. No one can be trusted.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          [...]
                          I learned long ago never to leave valuables in a vehicle. People are just looking for any excuse to rip you off. So it is best not to ever leave anything that you consider valuable in a vehicle unlocked or locked for any period of time... even 5 minutes or less. No one can be trusted.
                          I, too, subscribe to the practice of never leaving my laptop in the car. This evening I took it into a doc's appt. I got half way home before I realized I left it in the doc's office. I can't win for losing! Had to turn around and head back.

Hopefully Anuhea backed up her Mac in the not too distant past.

Comment

Anuhea is Going Viral

Anuhea, who writes her own songs and is her own accompaniment on the guitar, is now hoping to take her viral popularity and grow it until it's big enough to fit into the biggest stadiums in the world.

Her album is a slick, well-produced record that clearly reflects her influences - Bob Marley, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz - while still being all Anuhea.

Comparisons to artists like Jewel, Colbie Caillat and Anna Nalick are unavoidable. She's got that whole folksy, barefoot-girl-and-a-guitar vibe. But there's no mistaking that Anuhea comes from these Islands, an influence that no one else can claim. Except for Jack Johnson. And like Johnson, she can't help but sound local. But where Johnson is all about the cha-langalang, Anuhea is all about the skank.
                            I like her album. It's on my regular rotation in iTunes and on my iPods.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

...Anuhea is all about the skank.
                              Interesting choice of terminology there.

Comment

Working...
                              X