Your favorite Beatles songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite Beatles songs?

Not the biggest Beatles fan, but I like the song "Michelle". My dad taught me how to play that on the piano. Oh, and "Yesterday".

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

So...
      Who else here got the remastered Beatles box set that came out last year?

And did you get the Stereo or Mono set ... or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        So...
        Who else here got the remastered Beatles box set that came out last year?

And did you get the Stereo or Mono set ... or both?
        I got both. They sound superb and were nicely packaged. But OTOH, I'm pissed off that Capitol/EMI enticed so many people to place orders for what was supposed to be a limited-edition run of the mono boxsets. And more than half a year after the release date, they are still readily available from retailers. Goddamn rip-off artists.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Whatever mthe Beatles had, they had it in plenty.
          I can neither think of a favorite song" nor can I think of a song I didn't like.

Once in a lifetime. Glad it was during mine.

Every day I have at least one Beatles song as an earworm most of the day.

I hope they get residuals ~ no regrets.

Ka`onohi knowsit.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            I got both. They sound superb and were nicely packaged.
            Some day, I want to hear the mono mixes (I just got the stereo box), as that's where the original aural attention was for most of the albums.

I guess the record company's definition of "limited" is rather broad. They claimed only 10,000 copies to start with (July 2009) - but then said they would do additional pressings after all. Variety's report from 9/3/09:

EMI to press more 'Beatles in Mono'
            Pre-orders consumed most of limited-edition set
            By CHRISTOPHER MORRIS

After an online pre-order rush ate up most of the initial pressing of EMI Music's limited-edition collection "The Beatles in Mono," the label is extending the production run of the remastered 13-CD boxed set.

A diskery spokeswoman said retailers who had sold through their initial allotment of the mono set would receive more.

Beatlemaniacs covet the unique mono album mixes, considered the Fab Four's holy grail. They were left scrambling and anxious when the set, listed at $299, sold out at most U.S. Web retailers well in advance of the discs' Sept. 9 street date.

While the mono package will be available at brick-and-mortar outlets Wednesday, laying hands on a copy will be a crapshoot with small quantities on the street. Unlike the stereo versions of the remastered Fabs albums, the mono editions are not being sold individually.

In an update to a note about the set's availability, Web retailer Amazon.com said: "The manufacturer has informed us that they will be producing additional mono box sets due to high demand. While the mono box set will still remain a limited production item, it will no longer be limited to 10,000 copies for the U.S. market, as originally reported."

Comment

Some day, I want to hear the mono mixes (I just got the stereo box), as that's where the original aural attention was for most of the albums.
              The vast majority of consumers will be satisfied with the stereo set. The monos are strictly for the hardcore Beatles completists, collectors, scholars, etc. These guys doing stereo vs. mono comparisons on YouTube are really enthusiastic about the topic,... but I would imagine that 95% or so of everyone out there don't care about hearing Paul McCartney's scat vocals on the mono Sgt. Pepper Reprise, differently placed backwards guitar effects on I'm Only Sleeping, or a mono Helter Skelter that fades out early and doesn't have Ringo yelling, "I've got blisters on my fingers!" Most of the song by song comparisons between mono and stereo are actually quite subtle. Moreover, the gist of what makes classics like Hey Jude, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Get Back, etc. isn't diminished one bit, IMO, just because you're listening to a stereo version that was not mixed in the presence of the Beatles themselves.

I guess the record company's definition of "limited" is rather broad. They claimed only 10,000 copies to start with (July 2009) - but then said they would do additional pressings after all.
              Be that as it may, it hasn't stop the pirates and counterfeiters from selling their illegal copies of the Beatles mono box on sites like eBay and iOffer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBHT_O2_NU

Pirating is wrong and all. But in a way, I don't like the way that guy (along with so many other customers who claimed to have been "duped") act all shocked and outraged by their purchase. Common sense should tell them that something is wrong when a boxset that is normally priced at over $200 by reputable retailers are being sold at $50 or $60 brand new and still sealed. You don't get caviar for the price of sardines. And with the tremendous volume of transactions that take place on eBay and with the relative ease of setting up new accounts, there's no way for the auction site to catch every single suspicious offering. You name it, there's a Chinese knock-off of it. Music boxsets, TV show DVD collections, etc.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X