George Winston's 7-string guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Winston's 7-string guitar?

Last night I watched an episode of "Na Mele" that I recorded on the DVR last week. The original show aired in 2001, apparently.
    George was playing slack key on a 7-string guitar, with the seventh string completely off the neck, below the low E. Regular body; fairly short neck; no cutout. Tuning peg for the seventh string was at the tip of the guitar's head. They never showed enough of a closeup to see the brand name. Anybody know anything about that guitar?
    In the closing credits one of the thanks was to "UH Ethnomusicology Instrument Collection." I suppose I should call Jay Junker, but thought I'd check here first.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: George Winston's 7-string guitar?

Just googled george winston seven string guitar and got the info quick.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Thanks, Ron. Most of the Google links were relatively useless, but I did find this:

From this link to an interview with George Winston last month:

3. You play an unusual Martin D-35 - can you tell us about that and why you had it modified as you have?

GEORGE: I play almost everything in Open G Major (C)-D-G-D-G-B-D from lowest pitched string to the highest and I had a low pitched 7th string added to the guitar which I tune to a low C note, and very occasionally to the A below that. This actually combines two Hawaiian Slack Key tunings, the Open G mentioned above and a C tuning (C*-G-*D-*G-*B*-D).

That was about it for George's own guitar, which is what I was curious about, mostly because the 7th string is compeltely off the neck and therefore has to be used strictly for whatever note it's tuned to.
      However, there's some interesting information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-string_guitar too.

I have rather large hands/long fingers, so I always look for guitars and basses with extra-wide necks. My nylon-string Ibanez acoustic guitar (bought in the 1960s!) is a flamenco model, which always have wider necks. I looked for years before I found my 12-string acoustic with a wider neck. And I'd dearly love to play a mandolin, but they seem to come in only one neck width and my hands are just too big, dammit. (Octave-and-a-half reach on a standard piano.)
      My basses are 5-string, both fretted and fretless models. I searched for years to find the 5-string fretless; finally bought a 4-string, and then a month later found the 5-string! I'd probably sell the 4-string if anyone is interested. I've played 6-string basses on occasion -- dayum, those necks are wide!
      Anyway, I'll be interested in trying a 7-string guitar sometime...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yeah, that one had the most pertinent stuff.

Initially, I thot he'd added that low string as a droner, but I guess he frets it.

There are many electric 7 stringers on the current market, mostly for the hard rock set.
        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I remember seeing GW at the Blaisdell years ago. He had the guitar then and he talked about it, and played some slack key with it. I didn't (and still don't) know enough to even decide what to retain, but I went to hear him play piano and got treated to piano, guitar, slack key and a warm and wonderful musician.

K
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
          X